Mobile Phone Insurance - iPhone

We are looking at upgrading my husband to an iPhone 4 on a plan with a new provider. Currently with 3, been with them since they were Orange! Terrible reception now, feedback, failed calls and dropouts etc. Considering Telstra for their coverage - not their customer service!

My husband works for himself installing guttering and is a bit rough on his phones. Given most phone companies only offer 24 months contract, we are considering insurance to cover him if he damages the phone and it needs replacing within the 2 years.

We can get a 12 month contract with Vodaphone but their coverage is average as well.

Does anyone have ph insurance or can recommend who to insure with?

Thanks!

Hi GTF,

You can extend your home content insurance to cover for damaged or loss of belongings when the items are away from home. Can have either blanket cover (up to a set $ amount) or cover on specific item/s.

Cheers, :)

GTF

There are two things you may need to look at- extended warranty (for phone failure after the first 12 months warranty before the two years) as well as insurance.

I have the iphone 4- it is great for a lot of things. But not phone calls.

But daughter has one and has not had the problems.

Insurance is great if it's lost or stolen, but does not cover accidental damage.

He may want to have a second hand cheapie- or even just keep the iphone 3- for the rough and tumble stuff.

He doesn't have an iPhone 3, he has an old Nokia N95 which is what concerns about going on a two year contract! He has been stuck with this phone for just over two years.

Will check our home and contents thanks.

He really only wants a phone for phone calls anyway...

My iphone has a version of the "white screen of death". I can see things but they are faded. I press a finger on the screen and it goes away, but it is a PITA. This is a replacement phone after my first one had some issues that appeared just before the one year warranty was up.

They gave me a new phone and three months later they refuse to replace or repair it because, even though it is brand new, my one year warranty is up.

I apparently had an option of paying $50 insurance and, they tell me that if I paid that, they would fix this. But I don't know whether they are telling porkies.

My understanding is that the Apple iPhone is the only phone that doesn't have a two year warranty on a two year contract. Stupid!!

3 is or essentially will be Vodafone very shortly....so if you're considering Vodafone you're really still gonna be with 3 as i understand it.

if you pay a tiny bit extra on your home and contents you can get cover for accidental loss/damage which covers mobile phones...there'd still be an excess of say $100 but at least you know you'll get a phone of equal value replaced..

i reckon if you take out accidental damage/loss through your home and contents, this is going to be alot cheaper than finding a specific insurance just for mobile phones (thats if they exist).

we lost an iphone had it covered thru insurance no problem. $100 excess, the insurance co paid out the contract on the phone (well actually I kept the contract running as its $5 p/m and then I pocketed the check. So I'm paying it month to month if that makes sense)

when / if the new iphone dies if it isnt under warranty it might get accidentally dropped in the toilet.

...I have the iphone 4- it is great for a lot of things. But not phone calls.

But daughter has one and has not had the problems....

The iphone 4 suffers from poor reception if you make hand contact with the alloy section around the perimeter.

I'm guessing your daughter either has it in a case, or is carefull with how she holds it?

iphone.jpg

He doesn't have an iPhone 3, he has an old Nokia N95 which is what concerns about going on a two year contract! He has been stuck with this phone for just over two years.

Will check our home and contents thanks.

He really only wants a phone for phone calls anyway...

If he really only wants a phone for phone calls I would suggest you look at something other than an iphone. Iphones are great for music, playing media, surfing the net and generally wasting time with, but are quite weak comparatively just as a phone.

Regards,

Jason

If he really only wants a phone for phone calls I would suggest you look at something other than an iphone. Iphones are great for music, playing media, surfing the net and generally wasting time with, but are quite weak comparatively just as a phone.

Regards,

Jason

I agree, or you can still get an iphone on a contract and give it to one of the kids and then put the sim card from the iphone plan into one of the rugged Nokia 3720's

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/09/nokia-makes-3720-official-its-most-rugged-mobile-handset-to-da/

The iphone 4 suffers from poor reception if you make hand contact with the alloy section around the perimeter.

I'm guessing your daughter either has it in a case, or is carefull with how she holds it?
Actually I have the bumper which insulates the alloy section. She does not.

My iPhone had terrible reception the first month . I Had to keep resetting all settings to improve it . Seems ok now though .
B4 u use it perhaps get the iskin set which includes cover for screen , back and holder to put on belt or waist.
At times it's fine if drpped but I have seen broken screens and apparently they r common in iPhone.

ibumper? iskin? In mild to moderations circumstances sure, but for serious ireception problems, you need serious isolutions:

iHand.jpg

ihand_guy.jpg

Back