Most Aussies want to quit their jobs.

Managers are also employees

Thats true, and its also true, as per Bayview's post, that it is difficult to sack someone for poor performance. But its not impossible, and its no excuse not to try to "manage out" people who are poor performers.
I had to go thru this process for someone in my team last year. In my case, it was more difficult, because the person was a lovely person, just unsuited for the job, and they didnt enjoy it. But they were too loyal to look somewhere else for a job. It was a complicated process, very time and emotion consuming. But they finally resigned before they got their 2nd written warning, which I was very relieved about. (The process took about 3.5 months from first verbal warning to their resignation. We set very clear timelines for things they had to achieve, in order to keep the process on track)
I see other managers in my organisation put up with poor performance and not deal with until they can "restructure" a position and get rid of them thru redundancy. It does so much damage in the team in the meantime. Often the performance was very clear in the "probation" period, but the manager just let it slide.

Thats true, and its also true, as per Bayview's post, that it is difficult to sack someone for poor performance. But its not impossible, and its no excuse not to try to "manage out" people who are poor performers.
I had to go thru this process for someone in my team last year. In my case, it was more difficult, because the person was a lovely person, just unsuited for the job, and they didnt enjoy it. But they were too loyal to look somewhere else for a job. It was a complicated process, very time and emotion consuming. But they finally resigned before they got their 2nd written warning, which I was very relieved about. (The process took about 3.5 months from first verbal warning to their resignation. We set very clear timelines for things they had to achieve, in order to keep the process on track)
I see other managers in my organisation put up with poor performance and not deal with until they can "restructure" a position and get rid of them thru redundancy. It does so much damage in the team in the meantime. Often the performance was very clear in the "probation" period, but the manager just let it slide.

I simply meant that mangers are employees wqho hate their job and want to quit as wwell. Just like those under them.

Do you mean the issue of why most Aussies want to quit, or the issue that you almost can't sack anyone?

Why most aussies want to quit, the subject being discussed

Desptie all the difficulaties imposed on you as an employer, people stil lhate their jobs.

Perhaps the difficlties faced by the employer are not as relevant to the disucssion ?

Why most aussies want to quit, the subject being discussed

Desptie all the difficulaties imposed on you as an employer, people stil lhate their jobs.

Perhaps the difficlties faced by the employer are not as relevant to the disucssion ?

Correct; the employers' difficulties aren't relevant to the topic, but I wanted to comment on Penny's statement.

Back to the topic then; I reckon a very overlooked factor (by bosses) affecting employees' happiness at work is not the money, and it's not even the hours in many cases....

It's the recognition for a job well done - a pat on the back, a feeling of being worthwhile, appreciated.

It's a basic human emotion; just like with kids, but adults need it too.

I worked for a guy once who was a terrific bloke outside of work, but couldn't ever compliment anyone on doing a good job at work.

It seemed that when he wasn't complaining we knew he was happy. :D

So, that was ok; I worked his style out and kept on going, and worked for him for 3 years.

But I think I learnt from that and I now make a concerted effort to make my staffs' day at work as enjoyable as possible; make them a coffee when we all turn up in the morning, say good morning when they come in (some bosses don't even do this), thank them for their help at the end of the day when they go home, buy the boys a slab of beer every once in awhile, take an interesty in their family life and I try to be very flexible with family situations and sudden disters that require time off or changes to hours and so on.

Correct; the employers' difficulties aren't relevant to the topic, but I wanted to comment on Penny's statement.

Back to the topic then; I reckon a very overlooked factor (by bosses) affecting employees' happiness at work is not the money, and it's not even the hours in many cases....

It's the recognition for a job well done - a pat on the back, a feeling of being worthwhile, appreciated.

It's a basic human emotion; just like with kids, but adults need it too.

I worked for a guy once who was a terrific bloke outside of work, but couldn't ever compliment anyone on doing a good job at work.

It seemed that when he wasn't complaining we knew he was happy. :D

So, that was ok; I worked his style out and kept on going, and worked for him for 3 years.

But I think I learnt from that and I now make a concerted effort to make my staffs' day at work as enjoyable as possible; make them a coffee when we all turn up in the morning, say good morning when they come in (some bosses don't even do this), thank them for their help at the end of the day when they go home, buy the boys a slab of beer every once in awhile, take an interesty in their family life and I try to be very flexible with family situations and sudden disters that require time off or changes to hours and so on.

Yeah it's a tough one. I have no idea really how I was a manager when I had staff. Some things I was ok on, but other things..... I tried all that stuff, but with amongst all the hgh level training and initiatives thrown about, and added to our KPI's and meant to be tracked somehow (although not literally recorded/written down at the same time), and my own personal character, I think I ended up more confused than anything. How managers approach issues and the like though is important too, when to point something out & how and all that....

Do you reckon its like I suggested earlier on though, a bit of life not working out for them and feeling in a rut (like "everyone else" or not) and a bit of the same sort of "habit" as giving the government and politicians ?

Monet said , "happy is the man that's found his work" . How true that is .

I often envy these old blokes that have been carpenters all their lives , mechanics , a dentist whatever .
My dad was an engineer his whole life and the excitement of a new project still kept him awake even in his 70's after a lifetime of it.

Maybe a lot people are talked into jobs/careers by their family and peers.
They are told to go for the big money, instead od doing something that actually appeals to them.

They are told to go for the big money, instead od doing something that actually appeals to them.

Sure & some are stuck in unsatisfying jos which don't either stimulate them or pay them enough as awell.

Sure & some are stuck in unsatisfying jos which don't either stimulate them or pay them enough as awell.

The word "stuck" is also a factor.

MY wife and I have made a few decent sized career changes and moves each, and every time we do it, we have people say; "god, I wish I could do something like that". The trip to the USA was a good one; I don't know how many times people said it.

The funny thing is; anyone can do it. But it involves shifting out of the safe comfort zone which can be scary.

MY wife and I have made a few decent sized career changes and moves each, and every time we do it, we have people say; "god, I wish I could do something like that". The trip to the USA was a good one; I don't know how many times people said it.

The funny thing is; anyone can do it. But it involves shifting out of the safe comfort zone which can be scary.

Absolutely.
We hear the same thing about with us living in Australia and Canada.

Yes.

But people don't know of options and seem to cut themseles off from exploring them as well, adding to the "stuck" feeling. Which in Oz at least, can lead to complaining and having convictions that youre right, cause you can't change things, even if they tried - probably the bloody government's fault for giving tax breaks to rich people & businesses.

Not agreeing with it, but I see it and have probably been guilty of it myself too.

I've worked for the same organisation for almost 16 years. And most of the time I still enjoy my job and get a sense of acheivement out of it.

It also helps that the pay is good and conditions exellent with 6 weeks paid annual leave a year, heaps of sick leave, great super etc etc.

I've worked for the same organisation for almost 16 years. And most of the time I still enjoy my job and get a sense of acheivement out of it.

It also helps that the pay is good and conditions exellent with 6 weeks paid annual leave a year, heaps of sick leave, great super etc etc.

AFP (aust federal police)?

We traveled for 10 yrs , moved about and lived all over OZ , I'm also onto my third career and have a forth qualification that I never went into after getting my tickets.

Fore sure though I enjoy messing about with property the most , particularly the outside stuff /landscaping/modeling the property , building stuff and setting it all up, designing and planning it.
I could very happily spend the rest of my days doing it , very satisfying .
I'm hoping I can once I get over the latest little hurdle.

Nice guess.

No wonder you're still there. The perks in Govt jobs are enormous. ;) My wife is a theatre nurse at a public hospital.

I don't blame any pub servant for staying there until stumps. Specially cops.

Fair compensation for having to deal with losers all day long too I reckon; seeing the worst we humans can offer to the planet.

In year 10 (16yo) you’re supposed to choose your pre-requisites for the next 2 years that will get into the uni course you want to do for the next 3-5 years that will get you into a job you want to do for the next 40 years... I think the system is flawed. When I was 16 I had NFI what I wanted to do.

PS. I’m a genY and I like totes hate my job hey

Back