Mould in bedrooms because of no flyscreens?

All jokes aside, I bet your next thread will be 'Tenant moved out because of mould issue, house sat vacant for 3 weeks in between tenants, shouldnt have been so tight to save $300'

Oh, that is in jest!

pinkboy

Vacancy rates are 0.5% where this house is, rents are still rising. If they move out I'll raise the rent $10.

The issue seems to have been missed: tenant tells property manager that they need fly screens on bedroom windows so they can open them to ventilate the room.

Why do they need fly screens to be able to ventilate the rooms?

Vacancy rates are 0.5% where this house is, rents are still rising. If they move out I'll raise the rent $10.

The issue seems to have been missed: tenant tells property manager that they need fly screens on bedroom windows so they can open them to ventilate the room.

Im getting what you say, dont worry!:D

Tell your PM to get off their computer, grow some balls and tell the tenant to get a wipe and remove the mould as the tenant is obligated to do.

You are right, flyscreens are not a prerequesite to simply opening a window.

pinkboy

There is a smiley missing there right... I mean, that's gotta be a joke?

We're talking about some mould spots after several weeks of cold and wet weather. Where the remedial action requires getting a cloth and wiping the wall down. It's the tenant's responsibility to keep the house clean.

Note that there are NO complaints about the bathroom -- this is where the worst mould should be! That's because the house is clean and dry.

Do you discount rent when the grass gets too long or the windows get dirty?
Eww! Not a smiley, you got me laughing now. I would rather live in a tent than live in a mould induced house and I wouldn't want to provide accomodation under those circumstances to anyone also. Each to their own!

Are your tenants English?

I had a property with a similar issue a little while back.

Main problem was due to poor ventilation as the property was completely covered in trees and the tenants never opened the curtains.

I agree with having fly screens in places such as the bathroom and laundry, as these tend to have the worst mould issues, however on the rest of the house (especially one with A/C) it's not too important.

The action I followed was to get all the trees cut back from the roof line, the gutters cleaned, the bathroom was repainted with mould resistant paint as the ceiling was black and hadn't been painted in years and we did install a fly screen to the bathroom area. It was then the tenants responsibility to clean the mould (suggest bleach or an exit mould type thing) and open the curtains to allow sunlight in to help dry out the walls in the cold, then we monitored it. Never another complaint and cost was approx. $500.

The flyscreen issue never ceases to amaze me. We don't have them, don't want them, and none of the properties we look after have them. We've never been asked for them.

You lot south of the border are a bunch of softies :D:p.

Tell your tenants they were not there when they rented the place, and they are welcome to install them and pay for them if they wish to have them, but it is their responsibility to open the windows and if they are too scared of a few mozzies, they must clean the mould themselves.

This soft Southerner has flyscreens on PPOR and ALL properties. Wouldn't expect anybody to be without them. In fact last purchase had none and I factored that into cost of acquisition and purchased them before putting a tenant in. I don't get landlords skimping on what I would consider essentials. (just my opinion)

Last edited:
Really depends on the area. Certain times of the year my area is mozzie heaven. Without screens I would be crazy to have a window open plenty get inside as it is.

I must say however that the only place's I have ever had mold issues is the bathrooms.

I don't have flyscreens either. Nor do most of my neighbours (older area).

So far no problems with bugs or mould (OK, I lie - there's just a touch in the bathroom).

This soft Southerner has flyscreens on PPOR and ALL properties. Wouldn't expect anybody to be without them. In fact last purchase had none and I factored that into cost of acquisition and purchased them before putting a tenant in. I don't get landlords skimping on what I would consider essentials. (just my opinion)

Thanks for pointing out the smilie :)

If I thought it was essential I would have them in my own house. I grew up with them and took a bit of getting used to being able to get full breezes through an open window when I met hubby and he persuaded me to go without flyscreens on our first house together. We just don't have insects flying in. On the rare nights we have mozzies we turn on a pyrethrin plug-in to sleep. We haven't used one in a year.

Believe me, if there were mozzies regularly, or cockroaches flying in, I WOULD have flyscreens.

In summer, we do have flies but only when the food is on the bench. Wave them away or buy one of those whirly things to sit on the bench. They are supposed to be fantastic. I could do without the flies, but it is a very short term problem. I have heard, however, that in Melbourne the flies are a BIG problem. I wonder if that is what everyone wants to keep out?

On a Brisbane summer night, we just don't even have mozzies if we have an outdoor barbeque. So, in my opinion, flyscreens would keep out... WHAT?

Perhaps the council's spraying of mangroves keeps the mozzies at bay? I just find it curious that we have never been asked for them in over 30 years of having IPs.

I didn't mean to sidetrack the mould thread, but am always curious about this "must have flyscreens or I'm a bad landlord" thing.

The flyscreen issue never ceases to amaze me. We don't have them, don't want them, and none of the properties we look after have them. We've never been asked for them.

You lot south of the border are a bunch of softies :D:p.

Tell your tenants they were not there when they rented the place, and they are welcome to install them and pay for them if they wish to have them, but it is their responsibility to open the windows and if they are too scared of a few mozzies, they must clean the mould themselves.

Hi Wylie,

I live in NSW and I have family who have or do live in NT and QLD. They don't have fly screens and I am amazed at how few flies and insects enter their house. We have stayed with them in a variety of seasons and we sit outside in the evenings and only an occasional mozzie. Down here they try the same thing on our verandah and as soon as the suns starts to set they soon come back inside cursing all our mozzies.

In NSW if we don't have screens we are inundated with flies and mozzies very rapidly, it just depends on the time of day which one we get :eek:

I dunno, I think I'd pay the $300 for the flyscreens if it means my IP is'nt mouldy. You're also protecting your investment here. Plus as a few people have mentioned, mould is a serious health concern which I've experienced myself. I dont see the requests from the tenants as unreasonable. Maybe come to an agreement with them that if you buy the fly screens, they will keep the place well ventiliated and mould free? Win-win?

I dunno, I think I'd pay the $300 for the flyscreens if it means my IP is'nt mouldy. You're also protecting your investment here. Plus as a few people have mentioned, mould is a serious health concern which I've experienced myself. I dont see the requests from the tenants as unreasonable.

Please explain how fly screens will prevent the mould. THAT'S the issue that I'm having trouble with.

Improving the ventilation will help prevent the mound. Opening the windows will improve the ventilation. Are fly screes REQUIRED to open the windows? Is a LACK of fly screens PREVENTING the windows from being opened?

This is my point: the tenant is saying they need fly screen to be able to open the windows. I don't understand the reasoning. If the windows were painted shut I'd get them fixed, but they are not.

Maybe come to an agreement with them that if you buy the fly screens, they will keep the place well ventiliated and mould free? Win-win?

I don't have to come up with an "inducement" to get the tenant to keep the place mould free. They already have that responsibility under the Rental Tenancy Act. I have a responsibility to provide the place in a reasonable state of cleanliness at the start of the tenancy, and to provide and keep the place in a reasonable state of repair. Note the distinction between "cleanliness" and "repair".

Note also that if the tenant causes damage or damage occurs by the tenants actions or inactions (such as not cleaning) then the landlord is not obliged to repair the damage. The tenant cannot claim the damage as a reason for ending the tenancy or getting a rent reduction.

(There was a thread some months ago where a tenant let their heater tip over and burn a hole in the carpet, then they wanted the landlord to compensate them for having to live in a damaged property.)

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76748

Adding fly screens is not keeping the place in repair, it's an improvement. The tenant is required to clean the mould.

51 Use of premises by tenant

(1) A tenant must not do any of the following:
(a) use the residential premises, or cause or permit the premises to be used, for any illegal purpose,
(b) cause or permit a nuisance,
(c) interfere, or cause or permit any interference, with the reasonable peace, comfort or privacy of any neighbour of the tenant,
(d) intentionally or negligently cause or permit any damage to the residential premises,
(e) cause or permit a number of persons to reside in the residential premises that exceeds any number specified in the residential tenancy agreement.

(2) A tenant must do the following:
(a) keep the residential premises in a reasonable state of cleanliness, having regard to the condition of the premises at the commencement of the tenancy,

(b) notify the landlord of any damage to the residential premises as soon as practicable after becoming aware of the damage.

(3) On giving vacant possession of the residential premises, the tenant must do the following:
(a) remove all the tenant’s goods from the residential premises,
(b) leave the residential premises as nearly as possible in the same condition, fair wear and tear excepted, and, if there is a condition report, as set out in the condition report applicable to the premises when the agreement was entered into,
(c) leave the residential premises in a reasonable state of cleanliness, having regard to the condition of the premises at the commencement of the tenancy,
(d) remove or arrange for the removal from the residential premises of all rubbish, having regard to the condition of the premises at the commencement of the tenancy,
(e) return to the landlord all keys, and other opening devices or similar devices, provided by the landlord to the tenant.

(4) In this section:
residential premises includes everything provided with the residential premises (whether under the residential tenancy agreement or not) for use by the tenant.

(5) This section is a term of every residential tenancy agreement.

52 Landlord’s general obligations for residential premises

(1) A landlord must provide the residential premises in a reasonable state of cleanliness and fit for habitation by the tenant.

(2) A landlord must not interfere with the supply of gas, electricity, water, telecommunications services or other services to the residential premises unless the interference is necessary to avoid danger to any person or to enable maintenance or repairs to be carried out.

(3) A landlord must comply with the landlord’s statutory obligations relating to the health or safety of the residential premises.
Note. Such obligations include obligations relating to swimming pools under the Swimming Pools Act 1992.

(4) This section is a term of every residential tenancy agreement.

63 Landlord’s general obligation

(1) A landlord must provide and maintain the residential premises in a reasonable state of repair, having regard to the age of, rent payable for and prospective life of the premises.

(2) A landlord’s obligation to provide and maintain the residential premises in a reasonable state of repair applies even though the tenant had notice of the state of disrepair before entering into occupation of the residential premises.

(3) A landlord is not in breach of the obligation to provide and maintain the residential premises in a reasonable state of repair if the state of disrepair is caused by the tenant’s breach of this Part.

(4) This section is a term of every residential tenancy agreement.

Last edited:
Ok, so serve them notice for being in breach of the tenancy act for not keeping the property mould free?

No no no. Tenant is good. They can stay.

Here is what the PM reported int heir last inspection:

There is a mould problem in the bedrooms, the tenant simply cannot ventilate these rooms properly as there are no flyscreens. The bathroom around the window sill also has mould occurring on the base of it.

The tenant normally does clean the mould off but in this instance as I was inspecting the property they left it to show me.

The tenant has requested flyscreens to be installed on the bedroom and bathroom windows. I can obtain a quote for you if you like? We do need to look at doing something as soon as possible as mould is a health issue and there are children living at the property.

So the mould "problem" is caused by the tenant not being able to open the windows because there are no fly screens. My question has always been, why are fly screens necessary to be able open the windows?

The photos were posted earlier in the thread: yes there are some spots of mould, it is not indicative of a roof leak or some other problem, it's just mould from the cold wet winter. I'm getting some in my PPOR. Should I be asking the bank for a reduction in my mortgage?

Note that the bathroom is only getting mould on the window sill. That's the one room in the house thats I'd be expecting a mould problem to be occurring in, but it's not. That's because the house is clean and dry, freshly painted, and well ventilated underneath. There are no trees or buildings nearby to block light or air or anything like that.

No no no. Tenant is good. They can stay.

Here is what the PM reported int heir last inspection:

So the mould "problem" is caused by the tenant not being able to open the windows because there are no fly screens. My question has always been, why are fly screens necessary to be able open the windows?

The photos were posted earlier in the thread: yes there are some spots of mould, it is not indicative of a roof leak or some other problem, it's just mould from the cold wet winter. I'm getting some in my PPOR. Should I be asking the bank for a reduction in my mortgage?

Note that the bathroom is only getting mould on the window sill. That's the one room in the house thats I'd be expecting a mould problem to be occurring in, but it's not. That's because the house is clean and dry, freshly painted, and well ventilated underneath. There are no trees or buildings nearby to block light or air or anything like that.

Your tenant doesn't want to leave windows open if it lets the bugs in.

Install flyscreens.

Last edited:
So if the tenant is good, you want them to stay, why are you so fired about about $300 fly screen request? From the PM's report, they have kids, which is more of a reason to not want bugs etc when opening windows without flyscreens.

I dunno, for $300 this seems like a no brainer to me.

So if the tenant is good, you want them to stay, why are you so fired about about $300 fly screen request? From the PM's report, they have kids, which is more of a reason to not want bugs etc when opening windows without flyscreens.

I dunno, for $300 this seems like a no brainer to me.

I have teenage kids. One of them could never get out of bed on time. They needed alarm clocks, clock radios, iPods, all sorts of things to help them get out of bed. Lots of money spent. None worked. Generally they never went to sleep before 1:00am yet that never seemed to be linked to the problem.

I am not spending $300 just so the tenant can open the windows. That's a stupid reason.

Just so you know I'm not a tight-**** landlord, in the 6 months of the tenancy I've fixed the toilet cistern because it was leaking and had the ceiling fan in the bathroom repaired because it was loose (despite the fact it was brand new).

Back