Mould in bedrooms because of no flyscreens?

To be honest, it sounds like the tenants are making excuses. And I say this as a tenant myself.

Purely my opinion of course!

dehumidifiers aren't for everyone. for example, asthma attacks become more severe when the air is dry.

if it doesn't affect you, it doesn't mean it's a poor excuse for others.

just my 2 cents.

It does affect me slowwalk, I am an asthma sufferer.

As I mentioned, it was only my personal opinion that the tenants 'sounded' like they were making excuses. Please take my opinions with a grain of salt :)

OP how are you getting on with the issue?

It does affect me slowwalk, I am an asthma sufferer.

As I mentioned, it was only my personal opinion that the tenants 'sounded' like they were making excuses. Please take my opinions with a grain of salt :)

OP how are you getting on with the issue?

I told the PM "no" to the screens and the dog request about 1 or 2 weeks after the issue was raised and have heard nothing since then. Tenant is still there and paying their rent.

It's worthy of note that when the issue came up Sydney was in a long period of extremely cold and wet weather, which has since ended. I suspect the mould problem has also gone since the house has no damp problems.

Ironically, I was always planning on putting fly screens for the upcoming summer as a minor update to the property, to make it more comfortable during the warmer weather. That will still happen. :)

Shall I instruct the PM to remind the tenant that it is their responsibility to keep the house clean and flyscreens are not required to allow ventilation?

Not sure about NSW but in SA flyscreens are required by law on all windows that are capable of being opened.

I'm asthmatic, and can confirm that mould is not a good thing to have in a property for myself and fellow-sufferers.

I'm currently living in a ground floor apartment next to the Thames. There's some rising damp from the river; the unit above me had a flood in their kitchen several months back, and it's still drying out; and there was a damp patch on the other side of a wall to my place. The property's managing body said that there wasn't much that could be done about that since it was down to old pipes, but they can complain when I air washing outside. :mad:

The flat has a mould problem. There aren't any patches on the walls, but it'll start to smell fusty after a few days if it's not aired properly. Normally I keep the windows open if the weather's good, and run a dehumidifier if not.

However, the damp was sufficient to allow mildew to take root in a nearly new mattress. And, yes, I did turn and air it. Furthermore, several items of clothing went mouldy whilst I'd been away for a few weeks.

Whilst cleaning up after the latter I had an asthma attack. For a couple of days it was a struggle to breathe, and I popped out to the local clinic to get checked out.

For the next week I was completely wiped out. Ever noticed how old people tire easily? That's because their lungs don't work so well, and they can't get sufficient oxygen. Well, the aftermath of the attack left me in that sort of state, and I didn't feel up to much beyond walking to the shop at the end of the road.

Whilst in some cases mould is the fault of a tenant, in others it could be due to damp proofing problems in the building. In which case it'd be the owner's responsibility to fix it.

Last lot of fly screens I installed was used from ebay for $10
Just re cut them to fit by using a flyscreen mitrebox and hacksaw.
Make sure you take out the inner joiner before cutting.
Might take a while to get the colour you need.

You can really find fly screens as cheap as nww said. It doesn't have to be costy like $50.

Back