Mould in bedrooms because of no flyscreens?

Just so you know I'm not a tight-**** landlord, in the 6 months of the tenancy I've fixed the toilet cistern because it was leaking and had the ceiling fan in the bathroom repaired because it was loose (despite the fact it was brand new).

Wow, you maintained the property as you are legally required too, congratulations. :p

I'd get the fly screens too, may not be legally enforceable, but I don't think it's an unreasonable, especially if you want to encourage them to open windows.

I guess some people invest and look at the big picture, while others count pennies. :rolleyes:

Hi,

I agree with a few of the comments here. On one hand, you claim to have a good tenant, who seems to have this ridiculous notion that one cannot open the window without flyscreen to ventilate the property because it lets the insects in.

On the other hand, your view is that the tenant is really not worth the $300 for flyscreens (so may not be that good a tenant after all?). Also, in your opinion, the rent is actually about $10 less than current market and it might be a good reason to increase the rent.

An alternative is that you could use an excuse that the mould represents a OHS issue, request the tenant move out, then up the rent by to match the market. This gets rid of the tenant, and also his dog request; that latter is another reason for a rent rise of $5 to $10 a week due to increased wear and tear.

Really up to you on this one.

Regards,

So the mould "problem" is caused by the tenant not being able to open the windows because there are no fly screens. My question has always been, why are fly screens necessary to be able open the windows?

Because - having an allergy to mozzies myself - if I was at work all day, came home on dusk-ish, I wouldn't be opening any windows. I'd just be having my shower and letting it steam up.

I think $300 for screens is very reasonable ... and would add more to the value/rentability of the property than throwing $300 at a roofing guy to tell you nothing is wrong.

Oh - and you can claim it on your tax as a depreciable item under $1,000.

Hi,

I agree with a few of the comments here. On one hand, you claim to have a good tenant, who seems to have this ridiculous notion that one cannot open the window without flyscreen to ventilate the property because it lets the insects in.

On the other hand, your view is that the tenant is really not worth the $300 for flyscreens (so may not be that good a tenant after all?). Also, in your opinion, the rent is actually about $10 less than current market and it might be a good reason to increase the rent.

An alternative is that you could use an excuse that the mould represents a OHS issue, request the tenant move out, then up the rent by to match the market. This gets rid of the tenant, and also his dog request; that latter is another reason for a rent rise of $5 to $10 a week due to increased wear and tear.

Really up to you on this one.

Regards,

My plan, as stated in the very first post, was not to get flyscreens but instead send a tradesperson over to make sure the property is watertight and the mould is not being caused by water ingress from the roof or from somewhere else.

Every place will get mould growing in cold weather because our expired air contains water vapour and this condenses on the cold surfaces of the ceilings, walls and windows (which is why in the morning the inside of the window is wet even if the outside of the window is dry). Mould will grow on this condensation. Ventilation will help the condensation to evaporate away.

Now if the house has some kind of problem where water is coming in from the ceiling due to a leaking roof, laterally through walls say from the bathroom, or rising from the subfloor, then there will be a mould problem all year round even in summer. This isn't the case with this property.

Without reading it all again to see where the figure came from, why not tell the tenant they can install the fly screens for $300. They may think it will be a $1000 job and might pay $300 themselves. I understand that sometimes it is NOT about being a tight ar$e but about not being pushed about by a needy tenant.

Of course we have done things in the past that we don't agree with just to keep the peace and keep a good tenant so maybe pay the $300 and increase rent to market rent at next review.

P.S. $300 sounds cheap to me. What if it costs $1000?

Without reading it all again to see where the figure came from, why not tell the tenant they can install the fly screens for $300. They may think it will be a $1000 job and might pay $300 themselves. I understand that sometimes it is NOT about being a tight ar$e but about not being pushed about by a needy tenant.

Of course we have done things in the past that we don't agree with just to keep the peace and keep a good tenant so maybe pay the $300 and increase rent to market rent at next review.

P.S. $300 sounds cheap to me. What if it costs $1000?

The fly screens are about $50 per window DIY excluding fitting. There are 6 needed for the 3 bedrooms. Doing the whole house would be about double that.

I reckon the tenant is talking about the security fly screens so that the windows can be left open a bit overnight and when the residents are out.
Marg

I reckon the tenant is talking about the security fly screens so that the windows can be left open a bit overnight and when the residents are out.
Marg

Possibly... I shall check. The tenant has only asked for fly screens on the bedroom and bathroom windows, not on all the others.

All the windows have locks on them that allow the panels to be secured in a partially-open position.

i understand where your coming from and agree you dont need fly screens to be able to open the window
but wtf....
it seems like if they asked for flyscreens so they could open the windows so the bugs dont come in you would possibly put them in but because its for the mould your not going to...?
seems strange to me..
just the way i see it... i also agree you cant let them take charge and demand everything but if there willing to ventilate the house if it has flyscreens then its in your best interest to put atleast a few on

Marg

Agree, there is more to this than it appears.

The PM is not doing a professional job by simply relaying the request and having the owner take it or leave it.

Agree, there is more to this than it appears.

The PM is not doing a professional job by simply relaying the request and having the owner take it or leave it.

Actually I have no problem with what the PM is doing. Would you have considered the PM more professional if they'd have said yes to the request? Or if they'd have said no?

Other threads have talked about how bad it is when the PM doesn't pass the tenant's requests along... it can't be up-hill both ways.

Actually I have no problem with what the PM is doing. Would you have considered the PM more professional if they'd have said yes to the request? Or if they'd have said no?

Other threads have talked about how bad it is when the PM doesn't pass the tenant's requests along... it can't be up-hill both ways.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying and why.

The tenant is talking about insect screens. You also mentioned a request from the tenant for a dog to deter thieves. In that context there is likely to be a request for security fly screens, either now or consequently when the tenant realises that leaving the windows open is an invitation to thieves as well as insects.

So yes, I would have liked the PM to mention that possibility to me (not the tenant at that stage) and suggest windows for fitment. Maybe the tenant might come to the party in some way if I chose to put security screens on the windows that needed them. Being proactive saves double trades calls and loss of money.

What I meant is that I would have liked the PM to research a little further before contacting me. That is what professional management is about from someone on the scene I suggest.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying and why.

The tenant is talking about insect screens. You also mentioned a request from the tenant for a dog to deter thieves. In that context there is likely to be a request for security fly screens, either now or consequently when the tenant realises that leaving the windows open is an invitation to thieves as well as insects.

So yes, I would have liked the PM to mention that possibility to me (not the tenant at that stage) and suggest windows for fitment. Maybe the tenant might come to the party in some way if I chose to put security screens on the windows that needed them. Being proactive saves double trades calls and loss of money.

What I meant is that I would have liked the PM to research a little further before contacting me. That is what professional management is about from someone on the scene I suggest.

I think you misunderstood.

The request for fly screens came FROM the tenant and was given to the PM during the inspection.

And yes, if the request for fly screen was because insects were coming in then I'd have no hesitation putting them on. Fly screens so they can open windows to prevent mould is a bad reason. If they cannot open the windows already then fly screens won't help.

See, I do want to improve the property. On my list is a air conditioner in the main bedroom (currently is just one in the lounge), new side fence and side gate (one side and back are near-new colorbond, other side is weld mesh so there is no privacy, and the gate drags on the ground), a garden shed, and fly screens. In about that order because that's what I reckon will improve the rent.

Could be that at night with the lights on and an open unscreened window the room fills with moths and insects attracted to the light.
Marg

If this was from a 6 month inspection, is it a new tenant? Can you even increase the rent now?

Putting in fly screens would ensure you don't a) lose a good tenant and b) face re-letting costs which I'm sure would far outweigh the costs of adding fly screens.

I understand the property doesn't require fly screens to be ventilated, and it's also the tenants responsibility to keep the property in a clean condition. However, if you're planning on doing it at some stage down the track, is there really any harm in putting them in now?

Do not open a window, because the screens is not really effective, but I can understand why some people do not like, did not they open the windows, especially in bad weather, or if there are mozzies / flies,

failing the idea of screens could you put a 'whirlie' in the roof for about $70
that ventilates the house, i dont even get mold growing except tiny spots in the actual shower itself in the very corners and i dont open my windows very often at all in the cold months
i have 2 whirlies and an exhaust fan in the shower
the exhaust fan opening is good to draw air through for the whirlies aswell

And yes, if the request for fly screen was because insects were coming in then I'd have no hesitation putting them on.

I think - perhaps - you need to think like a tenant instead of a "normal" person.

Often tenants will feel they have to overly justify asking for something - so add on a string of knock-on features to their request - or leave out the linking part of the reason altogether.

They probably want to air the property but don't want the bugs coming in - so to them the mould is linked directly to no fly screens. So they have extended their want of fly screens to include mould growing in the bathroom, to justify their request. They've just missed out the middle part of the explanation about the bugs coming in tho.

Last edited:
To be honest, it sounds like the tenants are making excuses. And I say this as a tenant myself.

I moved into an old house this year that I have discovered has no insulation and terrible condensation problems. I refuse to leave windows open at night whilst I am asleep as I live alone and have safety concerns. To avoid ventilation problems I purchased a dehumidifier and leave it running every evening during winter. Every morning I have no condensation, the whole house feels dry and I have not had any mould problems. Dehumidifiers do not cost much to run and the benefit far outweighs the expense and the hassle of having items of clothing, bedding etc damaged from mould.

I would put the suggestion out there that if your tenants flatly refuse to open windows then they will have to purchase their own dehumidifier to stop any mould. If they choose not to then they are in breach of keeping the house in good condition.

Purely my opinion of course!

Back