My theory on why the market is a little spooked

No not all tradies earn the money you hear about on shows like aca and today tonight.
most tradies work for a contractor and I personally know great chippies that are only on $24 an hour, which is the award. and yes they are fully qualified.
There are so so many sectors that trades work in so it is not fair to say they ALL earn huge money... sorry to bang on about this but it really cheeses me off when people say all tradies earn heaps...

Last edited:
No not all tradies earn the money you hear about on shows like aca and today tonight.
most tradies work for a contractor and I personally know great chippies that are only on $24 an hour, which is the award. and yes they are fully qualified.
There are so so many sectors that trades work in so it is not fair to say they ALL earn huge money... sorry to bang on about this but it really cheeses me off when people say all tradies earn heaps...

Good, may $24 an hour become the standard wage for ALL tradies.

Good, may $24 an hour become the standard wage for ALL tradies.

Why should it!!! you can earn that in many unskilled jobs.. tradies do 4 years to get a qualification and start on very poor $$$.
if being a tradie pays so much and is so easy why is there a shortage??

Why should it!!! you can earn that in many unskilled jobs.. tradies do 4 years to get a qualification and start on very poor $$$.

I never said easy. I just said I hope it becomes their wage.

Hah my cleaner makes $150 for popping around for an hour and a half. He probably cleans around 4 houses a day, and also tutors another language. Don't even need qualifications

Lucky this is an investment forum - can you imagine how angry the public would get if they found out people are working to get ahead in life?

tradies do 4 years to get a qualification and start on very poor $$$.

most people on poor $'s when they start. at least tradies get paid whislt they learn. how much does an accountant earn whilst studying?

protectionism. Accounting profession is flooded with foreigners which is why it is such a low paid profession. Try converting your foreign trade skills tho

Anyway I am not here to bash tradies. they get extremely well looked after and respected in this country and that's just the way it is here. if you are smart and want to be paid well, head overseas, if you are better with your hands stick around here - it's just rational economic behaviour in the midst of a distorted economic environment, but all economies have distortions, even good ol' free trade USA

if you are smart and want to be paid well, head overseas, if you are better with your hands stick around here

Are you saying tradies are not smart... seems to me they are the smart ones seeing as you think they make all the money....
what it comes down to is the ones that do make the money are the ones that work hard and take a risk by working in a sector when one day they have a great paying job and the next the work can run out..

and I agree, lucky this is an investing forum.. cause i'm sure there are people out there on average incomes that have made it work well for them..

tradies are rich as hell. no need to say more. for hours worked, they still earn FAR FAR more than office workers.

being a tradie is almost like being an investment banker these days.

Gross generalisation much?

Some tradies do really well, some do ok, some struggle. Compared to times past, they can do quite well, but there are plenty of office workers who make far more.

Tradies make more per hour but they actually have to be there to make that money. Whereas an office worker doesn't have to be physically 'working' to get paid. A prime example would be something like maternity leave or whatever.

Are you saying tradies are not smart... seems to me they are the smart ones seeing as you think they make all the money....
what it comes down to is the ones that do make the money are the ones that work hard and take a risk by working in a sector when one day they have a great paying job and the next the work can run out..

No, you can be a smart tradie but you cant be a dumb rocket scientist.

different economies reward different skill sets, simple as that

i dont see any issues, its all about demand and supply.
Tradies supply is regulated from overseas competition, yet demand is reasonably constant with a gradual upwards slope.

Is there any wonder why the prices paid are as they are.

In australia there is definately nothing wrong with being a tradie. My electrician works very hard, but he makes the equivalent of a CEO's salary of a small listed company. (especially when 'cash' consequences are taken into account).

Yeah, no, the tradies won. They make heaps.

I work for a small organisation where the average income is over $200k. There would only be a handful of people making less than this.

Most tradies don't make that much.

Before you jump to another conclusion, the point is that although there are plenty of office workers who in the past would have made more than tradies but now don't, there are also quite a few who's income has risen just like the tradies. You live in Canberra, so you walk past them on the street. Most of them don't carry on about it, though.

As a tradie in a past life (still keep my sparkies licence current tho) we used to do a lot of commercial work in Sydney/Nth Sydney CBD and joke about office workers wearing flash suits to work and they're on say $50k pa.

They're everywhere. The guys that worked for me would have been on $75k - $100k pa and that was 10 years ago.

btw: Tradies refer to office workers as shiny bums. For obvious reasons.

And what percentage of office workers would be on $200k pa.

I work for a small organisation where the average income is over $200k. There would only be a handful of people making less than this.

Most tradies don't make that much.

Before you jump to another conclusion, the point is that although there are plenty of office workers who in the past would have made more than tradies but now don't, there are also quite a few who's income has risen just like the tradies. You live in Canberra, so you walk past them on the street. Most of them don't carry on about it, though.

Back