No More "Big Australia" (?)

Whatever, Big Australia is BS. We're already behind in keeping infrastructure up to speed. As a nation we cannot even self fund maintenance. We actually have to sell existing infrastructure to foreign pension funds, and have same own, build, and run new stuff.

And consider SE Qld. Our water supply got down to an unprecedented 15% a few years back, so how on earth can we double our population? Keep in mind Rudd and the Minister for Bilbies (Garrett) rejected the construction of the Traveston Dam a while back.

A Big Australia just isn't going to happen, because the standard of living will just keep falling as one incompetent govt after another fail to finance adequate infrastructure.

Same as the foreign student industry. It has been totally screwed now, because idiot politicians refused to accept there was a problem with colleges rorting students, and same getting bashed. That issue I am really embarrassed about..... And Gillard was right in the centre of it all.

Forget about Big Australia, and forget about Big Government.

The unemployment rate is as low as it's been for decades. You must be getting carried away a bit. Take a deep breath.

I don't see the average Aussie suburb turning into a seething mass of bludgers needing immigrants to do the work? Where do you live?

We are a democracy. We can choose the amount of immigrants we want. With a birth rate of below 2 kids per woman we can choose the exact level of population we want by adding fewer or more immigrants. We can choose the standard of living we want.

See ya's.

Ok I have taken a deep breath. I live in Adelaide. I work in Community health so yes probably exposed to more welfare familys than most which may slant my view. I agree we have a low birth rate in Australia. I have also worked in IVF. Our low birth rate is heavily influenced by the number of women who have chosen to delay childbearing and are now infertile, have decided not to bother or have only one or two children. Unfortunately the many women pumping out children by the dozen are from lower socioeconomic backgrounds and due to the problems that go with their circumstances are not parenting well. We are now seeing 4 generations in one family that have never had paid employment. Recently I met 3 generations of one family residing in our prison system daughter 18, mum 34, Nanna 49 all in prison at one time and all for non associated offences. My view is that we will continue to expand as a welfare society and my point is that eventually no-one will be left to support these people? Don't you think that this problem is likely to influence the standard of living for everyone in Australia?

JASA

Biggles....racist??....probably not...bigoted yes.....

Why is it that people assume that Indians and Chinese immigrating to Australia will create another China and India. This is is a very simplistic view....the original inhabitants of this land the Aborigines never invited white settlement and I am sure they did not want change either.

Change is the only constant....increasingly as we have seen in immigration with the demise of the White Australia policy the migrants will come from China, India and other non-white countries. Is there a problem...probably not as most have money and are ambitious as the immigration system only allows less than 10% to be refugees...the others are mostly skilled or are joining their families.

I constantly hear this this stupid diatribe about how Australia is changing....so what.....it changed when the Greeks and Italians got here and the same complaints were heard. Did Australia change for the worst...well not in my eyes.

As for being negative....well...my question is have you been to India or China....if not ....on what basis are you saying that you would not live there??

So now I'm a racist? :confused:
I agree, I would never live in India or China, but wouldn't rule out marrying someone from that nationality who lived here in Australia. Lots of negative people on this forum who like to put words into other peoples mouths and assume the worst of everyone.

Why is it that people assume that Indians and Chinese immigrating to Australia will create another China and India. This is is a very simplistic view....the original inhabitants of this land the Aborigines never invited white settlement and I am sure they did not want change either.

Do I not express myself well, or do people just like misinterpreting things? It has nothing to do with Chinese or Indians coming here! I used those countries as an example because they are so populated. I don't care if they're Americans, English, white, black, yellow, pink or whatever coming here, I don't want to see Australia with a huge population so we're all living like sardines. What is so hard to understand about that, and why am I not allowed to have an opinion on this?

As for being negative....well...my question is have you been to India or China....if not ....on what basis are you saying that you would not live there??

No I haven't and I have no desire to go there. I'm not allowed to have the opinion that I don't want to live in those countries? I also don't want to live in Antarctica, Africa, Russia or the moon. I don't have to do something to know I have no interest in it.

I'm going to stop defending myself, think what you wish, interpret how you wish. I know in my mind what is true and what I believe and know there is nothing wrong with it. I think some people just like to think the worse and cause debate for the sake of it.

Countries need to be responsible for their own population problems, but Australia doesn't just accept migrants because their countries are over populated.

We accept skilled migrants to fill a role and contribute to society in a mutually beneficial way, and we accept genuine refugees, which make up a tiny percentage of overall intake.

No govt has ever, and will never suggest that we open the doors just to reach some maximum density figure that was plucked out of nowhere.

These rediculous statements about overcrowding, water shortages, pollution and whatever else are just scare mongering. Don't believe the hype!

Biggles,

It is not personal....you are on a public forum...expressing a view like yours will ALWAYS open debate....healthy in my eyes...

As for you not liking living like sardines.....well let me you in a secret....you and I have not say. Even in a election year....no government in their right mind will close the doors to immigration....maybe bring it down from say 300k to 200k but not close it off.

Why.....because....Australian livelihoods are now dependant on China and India. Cutting off immigration from these countries could potentially cut off opportunities in Australia....which will cost votes.

Also...you are entitled to an opinion.....but if it is not well informed and thought out....you are likely to get negative feedback.....perhaps a thought to ponder for the future. This is just basic emotional intelligence.....after all you live in one of the most mutilcultural countries in the world!!

Do I not express myself well, or do people just like misinterpreting things? It has nothing to do with Chinese or Indians coming here! I used those countries as an example because they are so populated. I don't care if they're Americans, English, white, black, yellow, pink or whatever coming here, I don't want to see Australia with a huge population so we're all living like sardines. What is so hard to understand about that, and why am I not allowed to have an opinion on this?

No I haven't and I have no desire to go there. I'm not allowed to have the opinion that I don't want to live in those countries? I also don't want to live in Antarctica, Africa, Russia or the moon. I don't have to do something to know I have no interest in it.

I'm going to stop defending myself, think what you wish, interpret how you wish. I know in my mind what is true and what I believe and know there is nothing wrong with it. I think some people just like to think the worse and cause debate for the sake of it.

Countries need to be responsible for their own population problems, but Australia doesn't just accept migrants because their countries are over populated.

We accept skilled migrants to fill a role and contribute to society in a mutually beneficial way, and we accept genuine refugees, which make up a tiny percentage of overall intake.

No govt has ever, and will never suggest that we open the doors just to reach some maximum density figure that was plucked out of nowhere.

These rediculous statements about overcrowding, water shortages, pollution and whatever else are just scare mongering. Don't believe the hype!

...Exactly...

Australian livelihoods are now dependant on China and India. Cutting off immigration from these countries could potentially cut off opportunities in Australia....which will cost votes.
!!

Who says anything about stopping immigration? This is all about cutting it back to a more sensible level.
I'd have thought that China or India or any other place would be happy that we weren't taking so many of their doctors and skilled workers. Why would any country object if we cut back immigration? It would annoy the hell out of a country when the Wealthiest and best and most skilled move away after lots of money was spent in training them wouldn't it?

If it wasn't for doctor immigrants there would be no doctors in rural areas. There is one Indian doctor serving the entire Liverpool Plains shire of 8,000 people. He's a nice old bloke. Must be making a million dollars a year as he churns through the patients every 5 minutes. My doctor is a Chinese fella in Tamworth as the Indian blokes books were closed.

See ya's.

Last edited:
Its funny. We advertised for aircraft engineers. All we got where 25 applicants from India and 5 from south Africa. So in my situation an immigrationcut may effect property values but it will also cut my employment competition from a small group of unsuitable people to absolutely zilch. So income inflation should cover any property losses I have ;)

a possibility but who knows. The ups and downs of life. Who can pick it hey.

i hear the train a comin'
it's rollin' round the bend
and i ain't seen the sunshine since
i don't know when.
i'm stuck in folsom prison
and this thread keeps draggin' on
but that train just keeps 'rollin
on down to San Anton'.

Attachments

• washhands.jpg
    washhands.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 82
I constantly hear this this stupid diatribe about how Australia is changing....so what.....it changed when the Greeks and Italians got here and the same complaints were heard. Did Australia change for the worst...well not in my eyes.

Agreed! I find many people with the view of ZOMG BRING BACK OLD AUSTRALIA MATE are covert racists. Not all, but many are. And get very defensive when accused of such.

and this thread keeps draggin' on

I've no idea what you've got against discussing this issue.

After the possible GFC 2, and a possible change of government, The cutting back of the countries population growth would be the next biggest issue effecting resi property investors. If this issue is not worth discussing, then what is?

See ya's.

Who says anything about stopping immigration? This is all about cutting it back to a more sensible level.
I'd have thought that China or India or any other place would be happy that we weren't taking so many of their doctors and skilled workers. Why would any country object if we cut back immigration? It would annoy the hell out of a country when the Wealthiest and best and most skilled move away after lots of money was spent in training them wouldn't it?

If it wasn't for doctor immigrants there would be no doctors in rural areas. There is one Indian doctor serving the entire Liverpool Plains shire of 8,000 people. He's a nice old bloke. Must be making a million dollars a year as he churns through the patients every 5 minutes. My doctor is a Chinese fella in Tamworth as the Indian blokes books were closed.

See ya's.

But what makes you think that it's not at a sensible level now?

Your post seems to be a contradiction, first you are concerned that we are taking skilled doctors away from India and China, and then mention how much Australia needs them.

With populations of 1 billion each, there are plenty of skilled doctors remaining in India and China for us to accept a few. And as already mentioned, there is some thought that goes into how many migrants we accept and for what purpose. It's not a free for all.

But what makes you think that it's not at a sensible level now?.

Well, that's just my opinion isn't it. We got 300,000 new residents last year and our growth rate was above 2%. This gives us 50 million by 2050 if that growth was continued. That is too much as far as I'm concerned. To get to the 36 million by 2050 that Kev was on about the immigration level has to be dropped to 180,000. I reckon 36 million is too much as well.

What population would you like to see by 2050?

I'd like to see us get to about 27 million by 2050, and hopefully level out at that and stay there.

I think a population of 50 million would be a big drop in living standards for all of us. We would have almost no food left to export. We would be burning up much more of our coal and gas and have less of that to export. The cities would be 2 or 3 times their current sizes. The national parks and rivers and beaches would have much more human traffic, there would be more pressure to build in or mine our wilderness areas. I can't think of anything good about it.

Your post seems to be a contradiction, first you are concerned that we are taking skilled doctors away from India and China, and then mention how much Australia needs them.

If you think it's a contradiction then fine. Why can't I mention that China and India must be concerned about their doctors coming to Australia, and then say that I'm really glad that they do? I'm just stating what I think.

See ya's.

Last edited:
Profit,

I don't really care if they are racist....because I am finding many of these people have not real influence. This is no LONGER a white anglo-saxon country....it is very multicultural...so get over it!

If countries like China and Canada can provide infrastructure quickly to growing populations ...why can't we? Don't we have smart people here who can solve these issues?

The trouble with this country is that we have a lot of people who can criticise but few people who can do! I cannot believe that we have let the infrastructure in this country down so much.

This is the issue not population growth.

As for the people who want the old ways to stay.....the train has leaving the station....either you get on board or become a dinosaur!

The other thing people don't think of is who will pay the pensions in this country if there is not a sufficient worker base. The stats say most people (95%) will be reliant on the pension in some way or form!

The other thing which annoys me is this thing that locals should get jobs before foreigners....that is REALLY a dumb idea...because if the locals don't have the skills or the apptitude what happens?

Agreed! I find many people with the view of ZOMG BRING BACK OLD AUSTRALIA MATE are covert racists. Not all, but many are. And get very defensive when accused of such.

Back