OECD report says australian private schools offer no accademic advantage

Though it cant be measured, anecdotally I have noticed GPS schools do seem to install a level confidence in students that they carry throughout life.

Your right, I've pretty much made my decision, but i will reasses nearer the time, as i think there are other benefits of private school and a lot can change in a few years in any school.

I wasnt looking for confirmation, more to explore (or provoke), the cognitive dissonance of a forum of people often motivated by money and used to making decisions based on cold hard facts and research.

It's a good discussion to have. It's definitely something I have thought about over the years,.

My partner and i have decided that, we would rather help our children get a foot on the property ladder than pay for a private education.

This is a very smart move. Your children, in all likelihood, should they heed your edumacatin' will do better, from a financial freedom perspective, than those that choose to go to a private school and on to University.

Formal education teaches people how to be unquestioning robots to be used as fodder for the Elites. It's great to see that you aren't encouraging your children to become refuse to make someone else wealthier than they already are, but rather encouraging them to build their own foundation for financial independence.

obviously if you got a top top piivate school, useless kids that dont study, fail and smoke cigarettes will get excluded eventuanlly, so maybe on AVERAGE, the quality of the friends your child makes will be better,

Sort of in-line with this, my daughter made a passing comment earlier this year to one of her friends from primary school that at her high school it was 'cool' to do well. I thought that was interesting.

Just another one of those incidental anecdotal things, though.

Another Public vs Private debate

the reality is all school public or private has issues and most of that is out of your control.

what you can control is your children and their discipline .. Control that and
they do well both in public or private.

Formal education teaches people how to be unquestioning robots to be used as fodder for the Elites.

If you do education because you're 'supposed to', then maybe. But used as a means to an end, part of a larger plan, it won't. I have 2 technical degrees (Bachelor and Masters) that I have leveraged to get to where I am career-wise, which now pays for my lifestyle, investing and more.

VYBerlina, I hear ya. However those kinds of opportunities are finite - and shrinking, as an increasing number of white collar jobs are getting shipped overseas. A while back, I posed a scenario where someone who left school at 15 and got a job working at Macca's or Coles or whatever, starting at the bottom and saving like a madman, with full support from parents (eg: you can live at home for free as long as you save 80% of your take home pay sort of deal) was financially free by 30, whereas the person who stayed at school and went to Uni was not even remotely close to financial freedom by 30.

Of course, with most people on here being of the 'go to school, go to Uni, get a high paying job and put the money into investments' mindset, that particular scenario went over like a lead balloon, lol.

VYBerlina, I hear ya. However those kinds of opportunities are finite - and shrinking, as an increasing number of white collar jobs are getting shipped overseas. A while back, I posed a scenario where someone who left school at 15 and got a job working at Macca's or Coles or whatever, starting at the bottom and saving like a madman, with full support from parents (eg: you can live at home for free as long as you save 80% of your take home pay sort of deal) was financially free by 30, whereas the person who stayed at school and went to Uni was not even remotely close to financial freedom by 30.

Of course, with most people on here being of the 'go to school, go to Uni, get a high paying job and put the money into investments' mindset, that particular scenario went over like a lead balloon, lol.

Fair point mate, I appreciate your viewpoint.

I also accept that there are many ways to get from point A to point B. The trick is to work out which one works for you, then go hammer and tong to get there.

There's one thing that is always ignored in these debates - the phrase 'after adjusting for socio-economic factors.'

This is the point. Parents who choose private schools or who move into upper class areas with good public schools are actively making that adjustment. I don't believe that it is about the background of the individual child only, but about that of the group. Yes if you take an entire year level from a private school or upper class public school and transplant them into a reasonable public school in a poor area they will do just as well. But that does not mean that the individual kid will if transplanted alone - why? Because the teacher inevitably must teach to the level of the class. If you have a small number of very bright hard working kids in class that is otherwise poor they will not do as well as they might in a good private/public school without significant parental intervention.

We have chosen to send our two to our local public school, which is no better than average in Naplan results. So despite what I have said above, I think the decision about public/private etc is complex and more needs to be taken into account than headline academic outcomes.

What do you think with your parent hat on?
What do you think with your teacher hat on?
What do you think with your investor hat on?

Just like choosing a high yielding, high CG, under market value IP.

As a parent - i know there are gov schools i wouldnt want to send my children to, so we bought in the zone of a good gov school. I wish the gov would fund government schools better and id like to see a system like the UK where private schools get NO gov funding.

As a teacher - ive read the studies about what makes a difference to achievement. Schools can make a significant difference if they use the best strategies. effective pedagogy isnt expensive and can be delivered in gov schools.

As an investor - i know that statistically my girls will earn less than an extra 100k over their lifetimes if they go to uni, and take longer to pay off their hecs debt. . I know that the studies suggest private education wont make a difference to their achievement. So its probably not the best financial investment for anyone, especially girls.

the reality is all school public or private has issues and most of that is out of your control.

Haha.... but most want to ignore the obvious, just pick the top 10 schools in the State and all good, seems they want to find out the hard way;)

Then there is that other little hurdle, the right gene pool would you believe, yep this has something to do with it, that old chestnut.

I went to a public school, full of losers, then changed to another public school, again, same thing. So I gave up, and stuck it out..
Did ok in the end, almost went bear shaped due to bad company at one stage, luckily didn't end up that way.
The very last time I saw of my those company were on news paper, front page, not for the right reasons, won't go into details.

If financials allow, my kids are definitely going to private school, not with the intention that they will be better educated there compared to public..
But, as some have already mentioned earlier, I would want my kids to hang out with other kids (whos' family actually gives a crap about their education and willing to invest in them), sorry, nothing against public school system and its kids, just that, i've personally seen way too much in public systems

So how do you 'control' your children and their discipline?

I try to teach my child the right was to behave through example & discussing things...as much as you can with a 3yo ;) I don't aim to control him though.

As a parent - i know there are gov schools i wouldnt want to send my children to, so we bought in the zone of a good gov school. I wish the gov would fund government schools better and id like to see a system like the UK where private schools get NO gov funding.

As a teacher - ive read the studies about what makes a difference to achievement. Schools can make a significant difference if they use the best strategies. effective pedagogy isnt expensive and can be delivered in gov schools.

As an investor - i know that statistically my girls will earn less than an extra 100k over their lifetimes if they go to uni, and take longer to pay off their hecs debt. . I know that the studies suggest private education wont make a difference to their achievement. So its probably not the best financial investment for anyone, especially girls.

Armed with this you will be able to make an informed decision about what you believe is best for your children.

There's one thing that is always ignored in these debates - the phrase 'after adjusting for socio-economic factors.'

This is the point. Parents who choose private schools or who move into upper class areas with good public schools are actively making that adjustment. I don't believe that it is about the background of the individual child only, but about that of the group. Yes if you take an entire year level from a private school or upper class public school and transplant them into a reasonable public school in a poor area they will do just as well. But that does not mean that the individual kid will if transplanted alone - why? Because the teacher inevitably must teach to the level of the class. If you have a small number of very bright hard working kids in class that is otherwise poor they will not do as well as they might in a good private/public school without significant parental intervention.

Not really.

the study looked at the socio economic background of the students and the schools. So When they compared gov and private schools with similar percentages of students from the bottom, middle, middle and top socio economic quartile - there is no difference. I've never seen a school that has kids only from one socio economic group - but I haven't looked at every school. Even the most expensive schools have kids from average families.

It's very similar to the myschool website which will tell you what percentage of students in your School come from each quartile and then compares your school to 'similar' schools with a similar percentage of kids from each quartile. The elite private schools are often compared to each other or gov schools in very wealthy, educated, left leaning ares, but mid level private schools are often compared to gov schools. And the cheaper catholic schools to gov schools in blue collar areas or other cheap private schools.

Peer group does have some effect but there are plenty of influences that have a greater effect.

So you have influenced where they will be educated through where you live, which is not markedly different to electing to send them to private school. I'm not criticizing btw, merely an observation. So what about the people who can't relocate into a good school zone for whatever reason? Financially they might be as well off to choose private school. Surely this is as valid a decision as choosing to move into a good school zone?

Though the wage difference has been corrected to some degree, I find it abhorrent that even as graduates, for the same job, women are earning less than their male counterparts (note that this comment is based on stats from a few years ago). I hope, therefore, that in your children's work life the wage inequality will be further corrected and eventually disappear altogether.

I also believe that the old boys network, though somewhat diminished, is alive and well. There are many jobs which are not advertised. Particularly those which are not advertised externally, this happens a lot in large organisations, do not always go to the strongest candidate. Hopefully this too will continue to diminish but in my experience it is far from a historical happening.

Though the wage difference has been corrected to some degree, I find it abhorrent that even as graduates, for the same job, women are earning less than their male counterparts (note that this comment is based on stats from a few years ago). I hope, therefore, that in your children's work life the wage inequality will be further corrected and eventually disappear altogether.

I think it's important to consider why statistics show this. Based on my experience, it is not because women receive lower salary for doing an identical job, but rather because many women take time off to have a family and the men move forward during this time.

I think it's important to consider why statistics show this. Based on my experience, it is not because women receive lower salary for doing an identical job, but rather because many women take time off to have a family and the men move forward during this time.

I think you're right to some degree. However there was a study a few years ago which showed that female graduates going through a graduate program in the same organisation, therefore identical jobs, were paid less. This was the case in a number of organisations. I'll see if I can find it, though it may not be publicly available.

Here's one recent story (still looking for the study)

http://theconversation.com/male-graduates-earn-more-than-female-graduates-study-28101

Back