Only one in 10 know what Ctrl-F does

Do you use shortcut keys?

• I'm a power user and use shortcuts frequently.

Votes: 33 45.8%
  • I'm know a few and they're helpful.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I'm aware of them but don't use shortcuts.

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Since when were there shortcuts on computers?

Votes: 9 12.5%

• Total voters
I learnt all of the short cuts as part of an Admin course I did a few years ago through TAFE - very handy. However, I recall going to a job interview (legal office) where the lady interviewing me asked me to sit at the computer while she asked me to do some basic computing tasks to "make sure you're capable" :)confused: despite my having a piece of paper with my recently acquired qualification on it). I proceeded to use the 'short cuts' only to have her go psycho about how I 'wasn't doing it the right way!' :eek:

Silly, crazy old b####. :D

I know what you mean.
Some years ago I registered with an employment agency and had to do some tests first. The software didn't like my shortcuts at all and every time I did one it rated as an error! Not impressed!

If you need to fix cells in an Excel Function F4 puts in the $$ for you before and after the cell. Saves a huge amount of time.

I just tried that and it didn't happen (a new Explorer window opened instead!). At least, if you are saying what I think you are saying. Are you saying that if I want to convert (for example) a cell with =C21 into =$C$21, there is a function key for doing this?

Forgot to say i like the button between the left side Alt and Ctrl which acts like right clicking a mouse. Also when i'm typing a website i just type in the word and use Ctrl+Enter which automatically puts the www and .com in.

I just tried that and it didn't happen (a new Explorer window opened instead!). At least, if you are saying what I think you are saying. Are you saying that if I want to convert (for example) a cell with =C21 into =$C$21, there is a function key for doing this?

should work. type in the part of the formula i.e c21 then press F4 and it will insert the $'s. Doesn't work on excel for Mac, only in Windows which is weird tho'

Ctrl + Z - Undo

I love this thread.... I was just in the middle of typing a long involved response on another forum, and accidently deleted all of what I'd written... and they dont have an undo icon. ........ I knew I could head straight over to somersoft and find the undo shortcut..:)

thanks for this lovely long list of shortcuts, devank!! very useful!

these are some of my favourites

ctrl + insert for copy and shift + insert for paste
Alt then F then S to save any office document
F5 to refresh the web page your on
Windows key + E for explorer
in office 2007 just hit the alt key and all the shortcut letters and numbers appear next to them.

My favourite that most people don't know about is Shift+F3 (works on highlighted text). You can use it to toggle between cases.

ie, HELLO, Hello and hello.

Saves loads of times when you accidently have the caps lock on.

My favourite that most people don't know about is Shift+F3 (works on highlighted text). You can use it to toggle between cases.

ie, HELLO, Hello and hello.

Saves loads of times when you accidently have the caps lock on.

Works on one laptop and I use it often, however on another other it just brightens the screen :confused:

I've used the Ctrl + C & Ctrl + V many times when other methods have failed for Cut n Paste

Also Ctrl + Home & Ctrl + End to go to the start or end of a large document or spreadsheet quickly

Mickey Mouse (Grouse) Tips

I use the mouse a fair bit and some shortcuts there, for example; place the cursor at the beginning of a paragraph, click the mouse, hold down the Shift key and click at the end of the paragraph to highlight the full paragraph, it beats highlighting and dragging across the paragraph and the issue of trying to adjust exact content.

Or as I learnt recently, click any word in the paragraph 3 times

Pressing down on the scroll wheel will act like a third button on your mouse, I use it to open a web page link in a new tab, you can also close the tab by clicking the wheel on any open tab.

You can also zoom in and out on a web page, word documents etc by holding down the Ctrl key and using the scroll wheel to zoom in and out (showed this to the FIL a while ago to assist with his reading of smaller text).

Alt+d gets you to the address bar in Explorer, and if you type your website (i.e. giantboobies) and then press Ctrl + Enter it puts www at the front and .com at the end

after thinking i didnt use many shortcuts and after reading this i use bloody heaps!

also ctrl + or - does screen size aswell

the shift f3 just highlights the word in green...

some shortcuts only work for certain programs

Use mouse wheel to open links in new tab/ window

the latest one I stumbled across which I find useful -

in a web browser click on the hyperlink with the mouse wheel - it opens the link in a new browser tab, keeping the original page open in its existing tab

or hold down shift and click the hyperlink with the mouse wheel - opens the link in a new browser window, keeping the original page open in its existing tab.

Back