parking fines

The last time anyone in our family was issued a council parking fine was around 3 years ago, and I'm sure that was around the $50 mark.

Son just got his first one yesterday and it was $232 :eek:.

If he's late and a reminder is issued the penalty for that is another $53 on top :eek::eek:.

WT... I'm shocked.

Anyone elses council issuing fines of this amount?

Or is it a typo??

My son has received 2 recently.

One was a standard fine for not having the appropriate voucher - it was about $85, the second was a fine for parking in a disabled spot (he says he didnt see the sign, which I believe because he isn't the sort of kid who would deliberately park in a disabled spot) -it was $186

I've gotten quite a few parking fines :eek:

Usually around $80, but once I was doing a routine inspection and got there at about 3:40 and it was a clear way from 4pm, thought I had plenty of time, but got a $280 fine at 4.03pm and got to the car at 4.05pm. Spewing.

Depends on where it is as well, some councils are cheaper others more expensive.

Looks like it's not a typo then.

Incredible that these parking fines are now more the some traffic offence fines, even speeding.

Could it be a case of too many people doing the right thing so they up the fines to raise revenue in another way.

All my fines over the years have been due to not realizing i'm in a wrong zone, and one case was due to a dodgy photo I didn't bother fighting (was stopped in traffic when my child ran on the road to the car window to tell me something - he was not dropped off or picked up).

In my sons case he did not realize he was in a no drop off zone, or that it was no stopping at certain hours, so his was not intentional either, nor is he a serial parking law breaker.

There must be many like us that do not flout the law, so raising the costs probably wouldn't act as more of a deterent than if it was less.

As well as different councils and different states

It depends on what the sign says . If its just because u have stayed too long in the spot it is usually around $80 to $90

But if u have parked in a no stopping , clear way , disabled spot or anything like that the fines are much heavier at around the $200 to $300 mark

How did you get busted?

Probably a camera. I got busted for stopping slightly over the driveway into the building whilst picking up my hubby. I was stationary for all of three seconds whil he jumped in. I couldn't get my whole vehicle into the two minute pick up bay because it was full of illegally parked vehicles, including council vehicles outside a council building :rolleyes: with no drivers in them. That three seconds cost me about $150 from memory. NOT HAPPY JAN (particularly as it only copped it due to illegally PARKED council vehicles in a place where the driver must not leave the vehicle).

I was fined $700 for riding my bike 126 km/h in a 70 km/h zone :mad:
In Thailand I did something similar and was fined $10 :)

Im In germany at the moment and was able to safely and legally drive at 160 kmh..............

On roads that are of lower quality than many OZ motorways.

I guess our standard of driver training and vehicle maintenance is why we are so speed focussed.

Interesting diff attitues and diff foci on diff things

ta
rolf

That's how I got done in traffic.

I was driving on the road (was not in the parking lane or side of the road but directly behind another car about 1 1/2 to 2 metres from the kerb) in banked up traffic and son who was on the footpath ran over to tell me something before going back to his friends who he was walking with.

He opened the door slightly for about 3 seconds so he could be heard and was snapped by a camera.

The person I chatted to at council clearly wasn't interested and insisted it looked to her like it was a case of dropping a child off in an no parking zone and didn't want to discuss it further.

Even though it was technically neither, I couldn't be stuffed fighting it so paid the fine.

But others I know had similar experiences to me, and in one case one woman managed to see the inspector snap her in what she though was a deceptive manner, so she pulled in a witness who also didn't think she did anything wrong, and ended up having the fine dropped.

We have 2 in our area, one that's despised and one that people don't have an issue with.

I was fined $700 for riding my bike 126 km/h in a 70 km/h zone :mad:
In Thailand I did something similar and was fined $10 :)

I was at red lights very early in the morning the other day with no other cars around, and a bike shot through the red light.

It made me wonder why as road users they don't have to identify themselves like car drivers do??

And do they pay a registration fee (excuse my ignorance)?

I was at red lights very early in the morning the other day with no other cars around, and a bike shot through the red light.

It made me wonder why as road users they don't have to identify themselves like car drivers do??

Are you talking about front number plates ??

Apparently these were removed in the 70's because:
1) they severed the arteries of pedestrians in minor collisions.
2) fatigue due to vibration would cause the plate to break off and fly back into the rider injuring them or into the engine damaging the bike.
3) bike designers were unable to optimise the front end aerodynamically and make bikes safer by increasing stability at high speeds.

Yes bikes pay a ridiculous amount of registration in proportion to the very little wear and tear they do to roads.

OMG, you did not just say this? :eek:

pinkboy.....can of worms about to be opened! :mad:

How did you get busted?

Ranger standing in the bushes next to the bus stop ... didn't see them until afterwards

A few years back hubby got fined for parking his boat half on the council strip and half on the raod - quiet suburban street - footpath not impeded - if he'd parked fully on the road it would have blocked traffic - ranger personally harrassed me to pay the fine ... the ranger in that town was/is villified and despised by all for his overzealous hiding in the bushes and fining.

That's what happens when they are paid on commission

Back