parking fines

Not much more to it. Maybe busy roads aren't constructed to safely cater for the hobby of cycling. Maybe it should be conducted elsewhere.

So take funding away from roads to build 100's of kilometers of super bicycle paths for hobby cycling? What about commuters to work? They would still need the current road network to get to/from work would they not? More and more people are cycling because of the increasing costs of fuel/insurance/registration/upkeep of motor vehicles not only to work, but for everyday transport. There is no depth to your arguement, it's simply a statement of opinion.

pinkboy

Last edited:
Everyone is focussing on some of the more minor details of the arguement instead of addressing the major issues:

Im still yet to see anyone put forward a legitement solution to the main point to the arguement:

How do you implement a registration of bicycles?

Cost: How much would it cost? There are over a million bikes sold in Australia - that is more than cars. So the Public Service to implement the proper registration of bicycles would cost more than implementing the current registration process for motor vehicles.

Revenue: What revenue would come in if there was to be a successful plan implemented to offset some of the above costs? What resources (like police) would be utilised to catch a 10yo boy riding his bike in a culdasac without his helmet to give him a $30 fine? Would they not be better off chasing a drunk driver or speedster causing potential road carnage? Do you jail a serial offender cyclist who doesnt register his commuter bike to get to work so he can feed and house his family?

Physical Cost: For arguement sake, lets say registration was $400/yr (arbitrary figure for most who must see some type of serious number to satify that the road use is fair). Ok, $400 is going to be steep for a bike purchased at KMart for $40 for a 6yo learning to ride a bike is it not? One could argue that 6yo should not be riding on the road, but my 7yo daughter has on occasion rode beside me whilst I go running. So why then would it not be $20? - because you are all focussed on what it should cost, but cannot argue the point I make in the 'Cost' to the Australian public on how to implement such a large pool.

When someone can come up with a tight process to register every bike used, similar to the current motor vehicle registration process, then it wont happen. Im not saying the current motor process is water tight, but I imagine it is pretty tight in all states.

pinkboy:cool:

The Vic state gov has said they won't enforce registration as the bare minimum to support the process is about 70$. There is no wAy you could bring a tax in like that for EVERY bike riding on the streets.
I'm happy to pay it though as its one less bullet for the bike haters

I believe the only reason the idea of registration was initially raised in this thread was in order to fine the person who ran the red light by tracing his number plate.

I don't think push bikes could or should be registered and this circular argument about it doesn't solve any of the bigger issues about how to share the roads.

I don't have any issues with any vehicle on the road at any time if they follow the road rules, and I'm sure most rational folk feel the same.

Canberra has a great network of bike paths, paid out of government revenue without havin to specifically tax or register bicycles.

This doesn't bother me.

I live across the border in Queanbeyan.

(Though I do have a property in the ACT and pay property taxes).

I believe the only reason the idea of registration was initially raised in this thread was in order to fine the person who ran the red light by tracing his number plate.

I don't think push bikes could or should be registered and this circular argument about it doesn't solve any of the bigger issues about how to share the roads.

I don't have any issues with any vehicle on the road at any time if they follow the road rules, and I'm sure most rational folk feel the same.

I'm with Wylie on this one ... I don't think bikes should be registered (as such). Just ridiculous to implement with kids bikes and social riders - mine has sat in the shed unridden for nearly 12 months now.

The issue is with breaking the law - and bike riders are notorious for this ... riding on footpaths, thru red lights, cutting across roads ... you name it, I see dozens of offences every day in town. Most of the time it's not an issue - but sometimes it is downright deadly.

I would be good to have some sort of identification system - perhaps a one-off payment - for those that are dangerous offenders

I just heard on ABC radio a chap who emailed in saying he used the Clem 7 tunnel recently, was caught going 10k over the limit and his fine was over $700 :eek:.

@locko24, yes I stand corrected, I must have inadvertently disturbed the electromagnetic field.
@pinkboy, I think $40-50 pa is a reasonable amount to pay for the registration of each bicycle.

@locko24, yes I stand corrected, I must have inadvertently disturbed the electromagnetic field.
@pinkboy, I think $40-50 pa is a reasonable amount to pay for the registration of each bicycle.

How did you arrive at this figure? Bikes can be purchased for less than $40-$50, then a $50p/a fee.....yeah......right!

Address the main question on post #62, then talk about the minor details like actual price.

pinkboy

How did you arrive at this figure? Bikes can be purchased for less than $40-$50, then a $50p/a fee.....yeah......right!

It seems about right when you compare it to the price of bicycles.
I think you paid $13,000 for a bicycle but the average one costs $100-$200.
Motorbikes can be purchased for less than $500 but cost at least $500 pa to register.....yeah......right!
But it happens.

Address the main question on post #62, then talk about the minor details like actual price.
There are 8 questions in post #62.

1) How do you implement a registration of bicycles?
the govt can implement anything they want and if they haven't done it yet i'm sure they'll figure out a way to do it.

2) How much would it cost?
a rough figure can be reached by dividing the annual revenue raised by the amount of staff and overheads required to collect it.

3) What revenue would come in if there was to be a successful plan implemented to offset some of the above costs?
a rough figure can be reached by deducting the above costs from the revenue received.

4) What resources (like police) would be utilised to catch a 10yo boy riding his bike in a culdasac without his helmet to give him a $30 fine?

yes the police, same as usual.. 10yo kids are charged with other crimes so i don't see why they should be let off for riding without a helmet which is the law. A culdesac is still a publicly gazetted road.. the police don't care what sort of road it is, it's all about the money.

5) Would they not be better off chasing a drunk driver or speedster causing potential road carnage?

of course but we all know it's about the money.

6) Do you jail a serial offender cyclist who doesnt register his commuter bike to get to work so he can feed and house his family?

if they jail a serial offender driver or motorcyclist for the same thing then of course they should jail the cyclist. Why should they have different laws for cyclists :confused:

7) Ok, $400 is going to be steep for a bike purchased at KMart for $40 for a 6yo learning to ride a bike is it not?

you think 10% of the bike's value is too expensive as an annual registration fee :eek: I think you'll find it's not far above the average.

8) One could argue that 6yo should not be riding on the road, but my 7yo daughter has on occasion rode beside me whilst I go running. So why then would it not be $20?

yes i agree kids under the age of whatever should get a discount rate, same as public transport and the movies.

I've gotten 6 parking fines in my time. I've had to pay one so far. The others I've been able to write into council or the police and managed to get out of them.

The latest was being parked in a metered zone. However the meter is up over the hill and all the metered parks are marked and the park I parked in wasn't. This one was sneaky with "metered" written on the sign behind my car for where I was parked, but the sign in front of my car for the area I parked in had meter missing from the 5hr Parking section but written on the 2hr parking section...so you can apparently park for 5 hours without meter but not 2.... Anyway I'm hoping to get off due to the conflicting signs. Will have to wait and see how I go.

I've managed to get out of fines before mostly due to my job where I am sometimes unable to leave to move my car. Kids don't usually appreciate being told "yep okay I hear that you are going to kill yourself but look I'm parked in a 2 hour zone so I've gotta go, bye".

Another fine I got out of because I spun a story about parking lines not being visible and the parking inspector confusing which parking space I was in. It did happen to be that I was illegally parked but they sent someone to check to see if the lines were worn out and no longer all that visible and they didn't bother to check the rest of my story so I got out of it.

Another time I got lucky I used a parking permit for one street in a completely different street in the suburb, the council worker didn't bother to read the permit and just assumed it was the right one. Everyone around me had a ticket except me =)

pinkboy

I think $40-50 fee for bike rego is reasonable, especially if its a one off.

Back