Peninsula Link

For those in Melb...

We had to go up to the Chelsea Hotel yesterday for a 70th b'day, so took the newly opened Peninsula Link section of the Eastlink/Mornington Peninsula Freeway.

It was terrific; no more roundabouts or traffic lights, and we got to the end of the freeway at Springvale rd in 31 mins.

Normally the same time to the start of the freeway at McMahons rd (the cemetary intersection in Frankston which is usually a bottle neck for weekenders coming down to the Peninsula), so it saved about 10 minutes off the trip, which doesn't sound a lot, but it was non-stop and pleasant views either side for the most part..

The real test will be on those Sundays at the end of a holiday, or the end of the day on Mondays after long weekends when all the tourists are heading home in one big herd.

Makes me shake my head when I see that; why do they all leave at the same time and create the problem? Me; head home really late on the day and miss all that.

There were a million cars on the other side coming down for the day/lunch (refer to above paragragh), but I think once the initial novelty wears off it will probably level out a bit.

The theory though is that because it is by-passing that horrible section through Frangers, it will attract even more day-trippers and visitors generally, so make the traffic even worse...time will tell.

All-in-all; a very impressive development.

I was an engineer on the tender and design team for the southern section of this road, from the Mornington Tourist Railway to the interchange with the Mornington Peninsula Freeway. Was a great project to work on. Best JV I have been involved with.

Sounds nice.

We have a friend who's currently living Sorrento way, so we're down there fairly often and really looking forward to testing the trip out!

Hope you had a great night :)

We live in Mt Eliza and it will make a big difference to us mainly for the bypassing of the Frankston bottle neck.

I am really impressed that it actually opened when they said it would!

It is quite a pleasant road to drive on.

Drove it on the way to Portsea for my usual weekend diving expedition (great weekend to be in the water BTW!)

Saved about 10 minutes bypassing Frankston on my usual time, but I imagine that around peak times it'll be much better. The main benefit is probably to the locals of Frankston and surrounding locations.

Hope it is as good as they say

Sister has a place in sorrento & my place in rosebud west
Best time from sorrento to lysterfield 55 min @ 7am Christmas Day
I hope that now the road is open 55 min will be the norme
If not sooner
Cannot wait to go for a drive later today to test my estimate

Back