Perth builder differences

Exactly.

If you are content with a product, you are busy enjoying it. People upset at something find any outlet they can to vent (welcome to the room, internet).

I found my current employer on there, we rate well ;)
I agree, if you read the product reviews on builders you would never build with anyone.
I find that people who write reviews are invariably the unhappy ones. People that have an average normal experience post nothing and even people that have a fantastic service tend to be slack about reviewing.

Whilst I agree with all three of you above, the old saying of no news is good news is applicable. Fact is that whilst 99% people who have mediocre or fantastic experiences with builders are less likely to post, that still does not discredit the many negative reviews. The number of negative reviews has got to be alarm bells, taking on board people's experiences gives you a good idea of what to watch out for, even if you do decide to go with the company.

Very well said and great thread. Read it twice.

It seems best to take advice from those who are experienced with different builds such as MTR, Westy ect.

They would know best.

To me its like getting your car serviced. You have no idea what materials they are really using or not. Companies and business's are always looking for short cuts and ways to make money and stay competitive.

So for me id lean towards the cheaper ones because at this current time i dont have a trained eye. So wouldnt know whats what.

My parents are just having built a double storey with 101 residential - Scott park homes. 280k with some great specs IMO however this is just the start of my learning. A guy who has worked for several builders reckons RedInk are much cheaper than anyone else he has worked for (Unsure who else he had worked for though?)

Visit the displays and ask what is included in your specifications. Then you can look at the products. In this respect I like Celebration Homes because what you see in their displays is what you get. I have built 7 brand new houses in the last 10 years and only used the same builder once. That is because they are always changing what they offer and their pricing in compared to the competition. I find that using cheaper builders such as Homebuyers and Aussie Living and then paying to increase the specifications is a lot cheaper than building with their more expensive related companies which are Dale Alcock in relation to Homebuyers and Ventura in relation to Aussie Living, and they use the same trades people. The house I have made the most money on was built by Homestart and the best quality build I have had was Homebuyers (only 1 thing to be fixed at practical completion). I have just signed for another house this month with Commodore Homes. I have never built with them before, but what they offered me was hard to beat, especially as the pricing was the same as their rivals without the inclusions they offered me. The upgrades they have offered are upgraded property elevation, high ceilings in all living areas, stone benchtops in kitchen and both bathrooms, 900mm appliances, reverse cycle air conditioning, 3kw solar, gas boosted solar hot water, upgrade to double sinks in ensuite and final cherry on the cake was 5k off the house price. I had done enough home work to know this was a great deal. Total build price (including site costs) was $183,000 and I have allowed $2,000 for pre start. House size is 210 square metres. Just a word of warning, some builders offer 30k of inclusions free of charge but when you check against the competition, you are well and truly paying for these. To me it takes a lot of homework to be comfortable with your choice and I treat it like I am operating my own business.

Hi SB
That is an amazing price, however that is surely not turnkey, carpets, blinds, landscaping??

Can you confirm.

Thanks
MTR:)

Hi SB
That is an amazing price, however that is surely not turnkey, carpets, blinds, landscaping??

Can you confirm.

Thanks

No it does not include interior painting, flooring, blinds or rear landscaping. For the flooring we deal directly with Carpet Call's builders division at their head office in Balcatta. You save approx. 40% on the price you would pay in one of their stores and there is no builders mark up.

Still a very good price regardless. thanks for this info

When I was building land and house would allow around $30K this included painting, garden shed, blinds, carpet and also interest.
Landscaping was always included with Ventura, but your price trumps Ventura for sure, now will come down to looking at the product and how long do they take to build... 12 months??

Still a very good price regardless. thanks for this info

When I was building land and house would allow around $30K this included painting, garden shed, blinds, carpet and also interest.
Landscaping was always included with Ventura, but your price trumps Ventura for sure, now will come down to looking at the product and how long do they take to build... 12 months??

After taking all costs (including stamp duty, interest, selling costs etc) in to account it will be a total house and land cost of $402,000. Estimated sale price is $450,000-$475,000. I have allowed 14 months build time.

Thanks
But you wont sell you will access equity right cos selling, CGT will not be worth going down this road??

Have a block that I may/may not build on just working out the best way to get around this, also considering the market has changed.

I am looking at around $120-150K gross profit

Hi everyone, you really need to be wary in the current market of WA project builders with regards to timeframes. I know for a fact builders in the BGC group, including Commodore, are taking 18 months to build on a titled Lot including Pre-Construction and construction timeframes.

For all the money you save upfront, you then forfeit in holding costs/lack of rent. Not to mention they are cheap because they use their own products - window frames, bricks, appliances etc. I don't mean to sound blanket generic, I'm sure they'll build a good home, but 18-24 months for a single dwelling is just too long in my opinion. I do hope they buck the trend for you though SunnyBill!

that's truly dreadful. have been thru that mincer before, so stressful. why the delays? I thought everyone was looking fora job at the moment?

Hi everyone, you really need to be wary in the current market of WA project builders with regards to timeframes. I know for a fact builders in the BGC group, including Commodore, are taking 18 months to build on a titled Lot including Pre-Construction and construction timeframes.

For all the money you save upfront, you then forfeit in holding costs/lack of rent. Not to mention they are cheap because they use their own products - window frames, bricks, appliances etc. I don't mean to sound blanket generic, I'm sure they'll build a good home, but 18-24 months for a single dwelling is just too long in my opinion. I do hope they buck the trend for you though SunnyBill!

I appreciate the feedback and this should be a major consideration because as you mentioned what you save upfront you just lose at the end and some.

My 3 villas in Spearwood will be realistically completed at end of February, this has taken 9 months. I have been complaining to my builder about the length of time they have taken for completion and he has been stating ....."use any major spec builder and you will be looking at 12-18 months minimum" ouch..

In real terms for me that would be an additional holding cost of $15,000 for 12 months or $45,000 if 18 months.

MTR

At times like these using a spec builder is a false economy, you get the lovely combo of atrocious/no service/flexibility along with no savings due to extra holding costs.

18 months to build something simple is ridiculous

It is ridiculous, but just stock standard common practice when I was building land and house packages in the boom time of 2001/2006, and it was common to wait 12 months for land titles.

However, thinking out loud perhaps with the Perth market changing we may actually see the building/construction slow down, not sure? If this does happen I think will probably be 12 months off before we see any changes.

In real terms for me that would be an additional holding cost of $15,000 for 12 months or $45,000 if 18 months.

MTR

The opportunity cost is the big factor and can be much more than holding costs. If the huild is delayed for 12-18 months, what is the value of deferred net rental income, or the loss of potential profits due to inability to invest in other projects.

The opportunity cost is the big factor and can be much more than holding costs. If the huild is delayed for 12-18 months, what is the value of deferred net rental income, or the loss of potential profits due to inability to invest in other projects.

That's right, but in the main ROI is ignored, if you make 30-40% profit but it takes 2-3 years to complete then what have you actually made in real terms, you must divide by the complete time to establish this then you can work out the real % pa.

It just comes down to due diligence. I look at prices from Commodore and immediately think too good to be true. Product review is not a great indicator but sometimes there's just too much smoke... I would rather pay a bit more for a builder I feel like I can trust, not one who just bangs $5k off the price. During research I was told to drive around new estates and check out the homes which are being constructed first/going up the quickest. I'm now building with a project builder who got me to site in 3 months and have a max 6 month build timeframe. Single dwelling though, MTR I cant speak on behalf of builders who do duplex/triplex/multi unit etc.

Well SunnyB has signed a contract so hopefully we will get updates/progress on the build with Commodore. I must admit it sounds very attractive indeed.

That's right, but in the main ROI is ignored, if you make 30-40% profit but it takes 2-3 years to complete then what have you actually made in real terms, you must divide by the complete time to establish this then you can work out the real % pa.

correct. My ROI on Highgate will most likely suck but then I never though apartments could be done in a year.

Back