Petty complaints from tenant

But one of the issues I am disputing is the amount of dollars I consent to for them to do repairs without getting my approval. On the contract they have inserted $300. I have crossed this out and put $100. they came back with an email this morning saying they want the $300. No way.

My original contract had $1000!! :eek:I changed it to $0. Each time they call for repairs, I say its fine, although if its found not to be broken then I wont be paying.

When is it time to get a new manager?

I am very new to this so what is the gauge? My property manager rarely contacts me. The last time she did was b/c tenant said shower water had too little pressure and that the water was too hot. Also my last tenant broke her lease and moved away. She didn't pay her rent and I was charged for advertising for a new tenant. I was told by the manager that the former tenant pays for a portion of the advertising. On the tax invoice it doesn't state this. Which is true? Where do I find this information in SA. Any information/advice pertaining to SA laws would be appreciated. Matthew.

I was told by the manager that the former tenant pays for a portion of the advertising. On the tax invoice it doesn't state this. Which is true? Where do I find this information in SA. Any information/advice pertaining to SA laws would be appreciated. Matthew.

Matthew, a info sheet for advertising can be found here, you can find all the rest of the info you need, including all legislation at the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs here

Cheers
Mike

Maybe its less of a hassle cause all of my IP are apartments located in the cbd. Of those that are unfurnished all are leased to international students.
Not sure if what im doing is illegal, but i just tell the tenants that any uncessary maintenance will be added when calculating next years rent.
All students must have their parents (as well as them obviously) guarantee any repairs at the end of the lease that are not covered by the bond. If they or their parents dont pay i will take them to court which will affect their chances of getting PR (not sure if this is true or not but its works well as a bluff).
In 5 years ive never had any problems (touch wood)
Now dont get me wrong, im not the landlord from hell, my rents are reasonable, the places are always clean when new tenants move in and i believe that by acting like this it actually makes them more responsible (or maybe i have just been lucky)

Great tenant complaint...

I have furnished student accommodation. The beds are loft beds (desk under) and I installed a little shelf in the corner above the bedhead with a bedside lamp on it, so that they didn't have to climb out of bed to turn out the light. (I thought it was thoughtful.) One tenant complained that the bedside lamp needs an extension cord to reach the power point (we had provided the cord, bulb and everything already plugged in!); but she wanted an additional power point so that she didn't have to use the extension cord... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
i had one complain about a spider building a web outside her back door. pm told her to buy a can of fly spray. i only found out about it because she (pm) told me for a laugh together.

although, i do have a property at the moment where the roof is leaking because of all the rain. no choice but to get it repaired. i'd already had to have fixed the front screen door (ripped off by previous owner), bathroom basin (cracked by previous owner) and clothes line (rusted and fell down). all this is annoying cause this house is going to be knocked down late 08 and i don't want to spend on it - but i do have an obligation to provide my tenant with reasonable housing.

OK the tenant with the bees has now asked for additional security on front door because a strange man has been seen in the street. PM is recommending it, so what do you do?

Front door has normal lock which works fine but this tenant is insisting on additional strong lock because of the sighting by neighbours of strange man hanging around in the street.

Her concern is that he MAY break in while she is away and be in there when she gets back. She is home most of the day as she has small children.

To keep the tenant happy I have agreed but the rent will be going up on the next lease renewal to cover these additional requests.

Adding on to the water leakage, mentioned in my last post, we have now removed all the tiles from the shower and discovered the concrete base has totally disintegrated with the water and all that was left was sand, so we are laying a new shower base next week.

Chris

....just how many thousands of vital cashflow dollars needs to be insisted on by tenants before Landlords upgrade their thoughts above the mindset of the word "petty" ??

Y'all must have cash dripping out of your collective pockets, cos I couldn't afford what you guys fork out to keep your insisting tenants "happy".

Daz

I have a commercial property as well and have just been hit with having to upgrade the aircons, painting throughout and now a new front door!!! but at least its a 3 year lease with cpi increases and double the residential rent

Chris

Chris - I didn't mention comm. props, and didn't want to compare or discuss comm. props.

I just asked a question about what level you guys consider above "petty".

Seriously though....."I saw a strange man walking down the street and therefore I insist you upgrade at your expense the following for me....." are these folks on drugs or what ??

Are you operating under legisalation such that you are obligated to pay for this type of 'request'.

Daz

I agree with you, what annoys me is that I have a PM that I pay a decent commission to who is supposed to handle these requests. They appear to be unable to say no but just refer it on, with their recommendation that it be approved to keep "a good" tenant happy.

My biggest problem though has been from the tenant that did NOT complain and kept all the curtains closed when the PM did her inspection, so that when she moved out we found all this water up the walls from the leaking shower. Its just as well I had planned a major renovation.

Shares are looking better all the time :)

Chris

I had a tenant go into my brand new townhouse (will be my PPOR when I return from overseas in 3 years) yesterday. After ONE DAY in there, the agent called me today saying the tenant has requested window locks and a bolt on the sliding door, because she's nervous living there alone.

How is this my problem? I said NO because she moved in as is - I would live in it as is, so she can too! I did just spend $4800 putting in split system A/C and various other amenities.

Sheesh. Why do they sign a lease and then come up with issues?

I had a tenant go into my brand new townhouse (will be my PPOR when I return from overseas in 3 years) yesterday. After ONE DAY in there, the agent called me today saying the tenant has requested window locks and a bolt on the sliding door, because she's nervous living there alone.

How is this my problem? I said NO because she moved in as is - I would live in it as is, so she can too! I did just spend $4800 putting in split system A/C and various other amenities.

good!!!

We had a tenant yesterday ask if they could pay their rent on Jan 12 instead of the first. Their child was sick and it is Xmas...you know etc.
I compromised and said we want half Jan 1 and other half Jan 12.
I used to say...yeah, I guess so.No more.

I agree. They rent the place as it was when they inspected it. Why should you pay for the locks.

I had a tenant last year requested a security screen for her sons bedroom window. She said that the main bedroom had one and she needs one for her sons also. I said if you would like to install one then please go ahead. It's not up to me to supply it.

Cheers,

Bazza

I am starting to wonder if we don't get these requests because we self-manage. Maybe it is easier to speak to the property manager who then has to do the dirty work of asking the landlord for these petty things.

Maybe because they would have to ask us directly, they have a second think before asking.

We just don't get these requests.

I would not install anything because the tenant "wanted" it. If their request was reasonable and would be an improvement for our IP, we would certainly consider it, and we generally upgrade as and when required, eg, adding some window security, or install air-con or dishwasher, because as our rents rise, we feel that these things become "expected" or at least, the house will rent quickly or for better weekly rent over a house without air-con or dishwasher.

The only time I can think of that we got a tenant request was when some long term tenants asked if we would allow them to install a window air-con on the condition that they would make good when they left. We decided to install a split system because it was a good thing for us to have for the next tenants.

So, maybe it is the anonymity of being able to ask someone who has no financial interest in the house, and make out the problem is bigger than it is that makes them bold enough to ask for "extras" after signing a lease "as is".

Wylie

I am starting to wonder if we don't get these requests because we self-manage. Maybe it is easier to speak to the property manager who then has to do the dirty work of asking the landlord for these petty things.

Maybe because they would have to ask us directly, they have a second think before asking.

We just don't get these requests.

Hi Wylie,

I was thinking the other way round - we get these request because we self manage and are approachable?

Cheers,

Bazza

I agree. They rent the place as it was when they inspected it. Why should you pay for the locks.

I'm very much in the same camp. I frequently get tenants who sign the lease, then ask (demand) that I install something else. My standard reply is "NO!" As far as I am concerned they have rented the place "as is". I do maintenance only.

One of my now long term tenants trys it on every so often. There is a list of things that she wants a mile long. Nothing that needs to be done to the place, or anything that will bring in extra rent, so it will not get done. She asks less these days.

Daz

I agree with you, what annoys me is that I have a PM that I pay a decent commission to who is supposed to handle these requests. They appear to be unable to say no but just refer it on, with their recommendation that it be approved to keep "a good" tenant happy.

Hi Chris,

I don't understand why you pay a PM when he just refers the problem straight on to you. Isn't he suppose to handle all these issues so you can keep your sanity and use you time more effectively?

Cheers,

Bazza

TV Antenna

Hi all,

We have just moved into a new townhouse in Perth and the property has no TV Antenna connected on the roof. The landlord has said we can put one up and can take it when we leave ( as if he is doing us a favour by this ).

I do not think this is our responsibility and should be erected by the landlord as it is a fixture adding value to his property. Should our landlord be putting this up or do we have to pay to have the antenna erected and then pay an additional amount to have it removed just because the landlord will not pay for one?

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Back