Petty complaints from tenant

Hi all,

We have just moved into a new townhouse in Perth and the property has no TV Antenna connected on the roof. The landlord has said we can put one up and can take it when we leave ( as if he is doing us a favour by this ).

I do not think this is our responsibility and should be erected by the landlord as it is a fixture adding value to his property. Should our landlord be putting this up or do we have to pay to have the antenna erected and then pay an additional amount to have it removed just because the landlord will not pay for one?

Any advise would be much appreciated.

I would think it is the landlord's responsibility to provide the antenna as it is part of the basic infrastructure that one would expect.

We bought and IP about three years ago and I'm sure it had an antenna but when the tenant moved in it was gone - maybe a neighbour took it one night? Anyway, we paid to have a new one installed - no problems.

Cheers,

Bazza

as a landlord i would say "buy yourself a pair of rabbit ears".

read all of the above - the property was rented as is. it costs the landlord around $3-400+ to have an antenna installed - did you want to pay $10/wk more in rent?

disclaimer: i've just had a run in with some ex-tenants where they did me over at tribunal, so i'm not feeling very fond of tenants at the moment.

read all of the above - the property was rented as is. it costs the landlord around $3-400+ to have an antenna installed - did you want to pay $10/wk more in rent?

Agree with Lizzie. Landlords are a business & not a charity. I rent my properties "As Is" & if you want extras, then user pays. If you want the antenae, you pay for it, or do as Lizzie suggests & get a pair of "rabbit ears".

I don't think there is any basic human rights agreements that ensure you have a TV antenna and yes you did rent the place without one. however most landlords will just pay to put one in as it's just one of those nuisance costs that you experience with owning resi IP. along with air cons, security doors, alarms, constant garden maintenance, rates of all sorts, land tax, leasing fees, repairs, tenant damage and rent arrears, unpaid water bills, inspection and management fees, irrecoverable GST, verge tree trimming, strata levies, depreciation schedules, valuations, bank charges, not to mention interest - it's a bit of a gravy train I tell ya. Tax them I say, rich capos!

disclaimer: i've just had a run in with some ex-tenants where they did me over at tribunal, so i'm not feeling very fond of tenants at the moment.

Actually, $150 to have a new antenna installed. Everyone has a TV so it is natural to expect to have an antenna in the house. If they want an additional TV outlet that is another story.

Sorry to hear of your unpleasant experience Lizzie.

Cheers,

Bazza

thanks for the comments, regarding bunny ears, unfortunatly they do not work very well, if at all for digital television which will be the standard when analogue broadcasting has been switched off in 2009. We have bought a pair and can only get channel nine and ten.

The house has already been wired just no antenna installed. Cheapest quote I have revieved is $260 fully installed. Anyone know someone who does antenna installations in Perth for less? Its a two story home which adds to the cost.

I just bought a new property which was wired but had no roof antenna. It cost me $240 installed and lifetime guarantee. I think that's a basic in a rental property.

It's not unreasonable request like "I want a spa built in the patio",

I too can’t help but think you should have an antenna in a house, it's a one off annual expense of $260- $5/week.. Next year - 10-20 years, it costs us owners nothing. When roof antenna's were put into my PPOR complex, owner's paid and residents were offered a 2nd installation point a t their cost, but owners paid for the main part. I can’t see how that; unreasonable - especially if you’re renting out a new modern hose & expect modern good tenants, do you think they will have a b & w 34 cm TV or be up to date (if they are not up to date, I'd be worried about letting them operate my air conditioner, worth much more than an antenna)

My Uncle owned a unit in Darwin and got a letter from the body corporate (dominated by elderly women) complaining that his tenant (two young ladies in their late 20s) were "entertaining men in their apartment" :eek: And no, I don't think they were hinting at prostitution, which would be a different kind of complaint, they were solely concerned at the morality of unmarried women having men stay over the night... they even suggested that perhaps my Uncle get the young ladies' parents to have a talk to them!!!! :D

Sheesh - next he'll be having to give them the "birds and bees" talk!!!! ;)

We've got one on our hands at the moment. We've just put his rent up $10pw which I don't think he's happy about. Before that we had no issues for 3 months.

He sent a 'list of demands' along with the excuse of why he has fallen behind in his rent due to losing work and centrelink not giving him the increased rental assistance soon enough etc.

List included pretty much every tap in the house and garden dripping - all as seperate points mind you :rolleyes:, kitchen cupboard door not closing properly, bedroom cupboard door not closing properly, and the lino in the kitchen 'has a few holes in it which my daughter has reported to her mother and they are using as a reason the house in unfit to live in for the children'. (no doubt he's afraid of losing his child care allowance)

Anyway, got my dad to go around and fix the stuff - he said the taps were fine, they just needed to be turned off properly! He still replaced some washers to be safe. The cupboard doors he fixed, and the lino was fine - and even if it wasn't, it's the same condition he agreed to rent the place in when he moved in.

Anyway, about 4 weeks went past, and my PM called me this Tuesday saying there is another list of demands.

This time the list of demands included - a number of taps again, as well as the toilet and shower drains being blocked because of root damage (how he knows it's root damage is beyond me!), and the fly screen coming off the bedroom window, and no fly screen in another bedroom (there was never a fly screen in the other bedroom so he can piss of with that one).

My dad went around again this morning after trying to get in contact with him all week (he doesn't answer his phone, and has been fruit picking up north - no doubt cash in hand so it doesn't effect his Centrelink payments). All the taps were fine again, and he literally pushed the fly screen back into place using 1 finger! Plumber is going around to look at the drains next week (assuming they can contact him), but I've already told my PM - if it's root damage then fine, but if it's just his hair and God knows what else blocking the drain - he's getting the plumbers bill!

We fully believe he is doing it just to annoy us and cost us money.

PM said she's fed up with him, and I agree - evicting him when the lease runs out in May. At that point we'll be increasing the rent by another 11% to get it up to market.

can i ask what maybe a stupid question, but if the list of demands gets too long or too petty, can you advise the tenant that you are thinking of 'renovating' the property because of all these problems, so you will have to kick him out at the end of the lease.
Could this work as a way to get a problem tenant out without him going into self destruct mode on your property.

can i ask what maybe a stupid question, but if the list of demands gets too long or too petty, can you advise the tenant that you are thinking of 'renovating' the property because of all these problems, so you will have to kick him out at the end of the lease.
Could this work as a way to get a problem tenant out without him going into self destruct mode on your property.
Sounds like a very diplomatic solution to me. I just might keep that one up my sleeve for next time.

Friends of ours had tenants who took them to the tribunal twice about petty things, like having the floors re-sanded for them :eek: and having the deck replaced. Both times the tribunal kicked the tenants complaints out and the owners won.

Second time, the judge told the tenants that if the deck was so bad that they thought it should be replaced, then they would surely have to move out to have that done. These tenants told the judge they wanted to live in the house long term, so how silly for them to keep up about their list. They effectively kicked themselves out.

They were told by the judge to leave at the end of the lease, which they did. House is now being prepared for sale.

My dad went around again......

You're extremely lucky Steve to have a Dad who does that.

My father also is extremely good with sorting out petty issues (wobbly doors, gutters, taps, hinges) which literally saves thousands of dollars in tradesmen's callout fees. They are worth their weight in gold, especially when dealing with useless tenants who don't own a spanner or a screwdriver.

Counteracting that petty vindictive attitude that many tenants display (especially after a rent rise) with ongoing lists of demands chews through people's cashflow quicker than a nest of white ants through a pine bearer.

Unfortunately, the legislation is massively weighted toward the tenant's favour, and hence the onus falls upon the Owner, and the Owner has no option but to respond.

Of course, if you were interstate, that list would have involved calling out a plumber, a handyman and probably a tiler or something. None of those guys roll up the driveway without extracting at least $ 90 nowadays, that's before they walk in and go "Now what's the problem."

Of course, the tenant's are usually completely pathetic - and can afford to be - as it isn't their responsibility. Standing there with hands on hips, demanding something be done right now, especially when you don't have to pay a cent for any of it, parts of labour, is a most joyous position to be in. Stand there, have a whinge, write a whingey letter, and someone surely, especially if a PM is involved and it isn't their personal money being spent, despite their nonsense advertising gumpf.

The other aspect as you rightly oint out, they are extremely good at palming the "fault" back to the Landlord, and unfortunately they have the privacy and time to re-shuffle circumstances and get their story straight before they even call up about the problem. We had one tenant years ago continually calling up about blocked drains....and tree roots being the cause, hence "send out the plumber with that slinky thing". Didn't believe her for a minute, as she had three teenage daughters, all with long hair, who invariably spent half the day in the shower primping and preening themselves.

Plumber duly sent around and found it clogged to the gunnels with long black hairs and soapy gunk. Despite the evidence, she insisted it was tree roots and if the blocked drains happened again, she wouldn't be paying a cent. Then she accused me, after I wrote to her about the cause, that I was interfering with her private personal life and it was a gross invasion of her and her daughter's privacy.

For me, that is the very worst aspect of owning residential property for let. You MUST - by definition - to protect your asset and cashflow status, be embroiled with their domestic issues. God only knows, I've got enough to look after on my homefront with lawnmowing, blocked drains, HWS going, hinging needing repair etc etc etc.....the last thing I need is to wet nurse a bunch of families and pay to rectify their problems as well.....and at the end of the day, there's bugger all money in it anyway.

Considering she was paying me the princely sum of 2.5% gross yield, 1.8% nett yield, all the while screaming from the rooftops that she was paying me a fortune in rent....:rolleyes: I cut my losses and sold the property, vowing never to hitch my wealth wagon again to the domestic turmoil of single women with teenage daughters. The strategic change has worked well.

You're extremely lucky Steve to have a Dad who does that.

You're right, if it was a handyman going in every time would cost much more - that's probably what the tenant was counting on.

I just get annoyed at petty complaints, but I guess in this case he's probably doing it on purpose to stick it up us.

You're right though - it's the nature of the beast with resi stuff. I place myself as far away from it as I can though, and generally speaking I don't really have issues (PM is very good). The other old place there has been I think 1 legit maintenance issue since June last year. No petty crap yet, but I guess in this one I have the upper hand as they are on a periodic lease, so they probably realise if they kick up a stink for no reason then I can turf 'em out quite easily.

Oh well, big picture. Can't let the little s*** get to you, that's why it's good to have the quick rant on SS. :) All going according to plan, the old places will only be there for a few more years before they're bulldozed.

Back