Please help...8 Weeks and Still Haven't Got New Tenant...Bulleen VIC

Hi noisuf,

I was in a situation similar at yours last year. My IP was vacant, and after two weeks on re.com.au and domain.com.au, I had not received a single application. So I asked the PM to reduce the rent by $10 and change the ad to indicate pets were allowed.

We received two applications the following weeks and accepted one of those.
My IP is a 4B 2B house, so the market is families with 2+ children, who usually have a dog or cat.

If the market in your area is soft you might need to reduce the rent or offer some sort of incentive, allow pets, gift cards, truck rental for the move, dinner, etc.

Just some idea. Hope you get a tenant soon

Cheers,
Roberto.

Didn't know until yesterday, when Propertunity pointed me to the 2010 NSW RTA, but you are no longer permitted to provide gifts to tenants.
Nothing that can be construed as a gift.

Got to agree with most here - as a renter the 'range' would really put me off. So many quality properties around the area why bother with this one. Seriously, people skip ads very quickly.

Secondly the photos seem to make the place look very old and pokey. Not too appealing.

I went around to the house tonight (rubbish night anyway) and took a lot of photos using any angle I could find. Just getting ready for the sisters rejecting the offer.

The front was a bit hard due to a council tree and another bush in the front yard blocking the view of the house.

I'm going to re-look at every post and insist on a meeting on Thursday with the PM. I will at least send an email stating what a new ad should state and provide the photos to him.

Wish me luck..........

Thanks so much for the replies already!!!
You will notice the PM uses rental ranges instead of specifics. I enquired more about this over the weekend and they said it's worked for the past 12 years.

Aside from the likelihood that most renters will ignore an advertisement that doesn't specify a price, I'm surprised this is even allowed by law. It's essentially a sneaky way of soliciting bids for a rental auction - which I thought was illegal, at least in Victoria.

To me the Gumtree front picture shows a somewhat ugly house, which because of the huge rent range the tenant doesn't know what they're getting so will not enquire further.

Especially since pricing is such a powerful anchor for tenants. 'You get what you pay for' is the general rule. Tenants willing to pay $430pw will want features not found in a $350pw house, whereas those with a $350pw budget will have no interest in a $430pw place. Asking rents for most similar houses (same number of bedrooms/bathrooms/parking/suburb) should be within 10% (ie $30-40pw) of each other.

I said above the house looked ugly, but I still think the pics probably undersell it, and there's no reason why, if priced correctly, it will not get a tenant. It's in a super-handy location after all. But as it stands it raises way too many questions and anyone but the most desperate tenant (which you don't necessarily want) will give it a miss.

From the photos it looks like the lawn could do with a mow.

And maybe it's the angle, but what's with that clump of bush in front of the stairs? Pull it out, trim it or plant something nice. Could be a trip hazard if left.

All those stairs! Well it's cheaper than health club membership if that's the only way in. Not so good with shopping though. Anyone over 50 will be feeling their age if they climb it, while families with kids might also prefer level access. And imagine the drama of moving day - but at least you'll have tenants for life if it's such an effort to get the bed in. The ad doesn't say if there's internal access from the garage, but if there is you need to push this point very very hard.

Is there a front door at the top? I've known people who live in houses without front doors, but it strikes most people as eccentric. Maybe trim that tree in the front or take a photo from another angle to show the front door.

That blank brick wall. Presumably a windowless storage room? The blank wall might not be to everyone's taste - would some shrubs planted in front be nice? Although if I was living in it I'd consider the possibility of adding a window to it for natural light (especially if the space is large enough to be a home office or spare bedroom).

What's it like sitting on that balcony on a balmy summer's night? Room for a table and chairs? Again this could be saleable and partial compensation for those hideous stairs.

The garage, well it looks wider than a single garage. Can it fit two cars (which would be a big plus in this area)? If so, shouldn't the gumtree ad emphasise this (rather than just say 'garage')?

Lastly, may I suggest firing the agent immediately? The lack of an apostrophe in the first sentence ('Bulleens'!) reveals them as uneducated illiterate morons. Unforgiveable!

The price range is the source of your problem, the leasing agent is an idiot ! Just a side issue, median price for Bulleen is $792K, getting $390 pw rent ?

OK- how do you google map of front of house?

Regards
Sheryn

what biggles said or go to google.com.au select maps type in the address and drag the gold coloured little man onto the map.

handy for researching, but also if you're heading somewhere you don't know.

Gumtree removed the ad due to stating Bulleen in the heading I think.

I've redone another one: http://melbourne.gumtree.com.au/c-U...-to-Doncaster-Shoppingtown-W0QQAdIdZ244233627

The agent has now passed the buck to a salesperson. Will know by lunchtime if the sisters accept.

I have taken photos of the kitchen and bathroom...it is a bit old...80's I think...so due to Gumtree limit of 10 photos...I chose the 10 the best marketed it?

The pic of the front of the house was the best I could get. Trees, angle didn't help.

Front door is in the front but cannot be seen as it's around a corner on the top deck.

The blank wall is in front underneath the house being on a slope. Neighbours on both side have dug it out and made extra rooms.

Thanks for the tip about the deck out front!

Firing the agent...after yesterday's experience.........I need to look at contract.

Yep, median price for Bulleen doesn't add up to the rent amount I know...I'm perplexed too...people say that when interest rates go up, rents go up......

Those pics are soo much nicer than the old ones!

I like the points you've highlighted in the ad. Think someone raised it before, but I'd like to see the kitchen & bathroom as these two areas are a huge factor in where I'd live.

The view is great too from that decking area!

Really hope you get someone this week :)

Must say, the rental market seems to have really cooled for inner Melbourne - our 2BR in Parkville been vacant for 5 weeks! :eek: Hardly anyone coming through to look.

The Y-man

Back