Point Cook, Melbourne

Hi,

I find Poin Cook is good, got a few schools, freeway to city, new town centre, 20km by radius to city, and a new train station in the nerrby William Landing been propoesed, and it is not an industrial area.

It is near an indutrial area, in fact pretty much surrounded by suburbs with industry. Its also in the western suburbs.......

Hi, I agreed.

The price is affordable. I just find that the infrastucture over there is good, shopping, schools, freeway, train station, ...

I might be wrong, but I believe the 'trend' now is more towards the western suburbs for first home buyers and young families as they are more affordable now. A day may come when the middle ring western suburbs will become 'less affordable'.

Hi,

I find Poin Cook is good, got a few schools, freeway to city, new town centre, 20km by radius to city, and a new train station in the nerrby William Landing been propoesed, and it is not an industrial area.

The state gov't propose to do a lot of things :rolleyes:. I guess waiting for them to start work on the line maybe faster than waiting for a train on an existing line the way cancelations are at present :(.

Hi Thye

Your assumptions are correct.....just stay away from the brand new stuff.

I own two out there myself. You are correct the Western suburbs...particularly Werribee, Wyndham Vale and Hoppers Crossing is undervalued in my opinion. You can still buy between the 170-220k range in these suburbs.

Given the FHOG...it is unlikely this will last much longer. If rates hit 4%...it will be cheaper to buy (220 pw) a place in these suburbs than rent (220-240pw) even when you factor in councila and water rates.

The price is affordable. I just find that the infrastucture over there is good, shopping, schools, freeway, train station, ...

I might be wrong, but I believe the 'trend' now is more towards the western suburbs for first home buyers and young families as they are more affordable now. A day may come when the middle ring western suburbs will become 'less affordable'.

as is altona meadows

Hoppers crossing etc is undervalued just like altona meadows was a few years ago but the area (altona meadows) has now benefited by point cook and altona and this prices have risen.

Apparently, the REIV is talking up Werribee also.....not hard to see why as these suburbs did not increase as much as the Southeast.

Lots of good buying at the 190-250k mark. Probably the cheapest of any major city within 25klms of the CBD!:D

Hoppers crossing etc is undervalued just like altona meadows was a few years ago but the area (altona meadows) has now benefited by point cook and altona and this prices have risen.

Don't forget that we're also coastal, only a few KM from altona beach and the new "Wyndham Harbour" development at Werribee South. Point Cook has its own coastal park as well.

Industrial areas are at the very south of Werribee around 12KM away or similarly far into Altona and Laverton. To say that they in any way impact on Point Cook is an incredible stretch. The area now has two shopping centres with the new Point Cook centre being pretty spectacular for a local shopping precinct. Schools and transport, I can't think of much missing.

Short drive to Geelong (30-40 mins via highway, little traffic) and the bellarine peninsula, and plenty of great beaches. The Wyndham Harbour development is set to increase interest in the area as well, check out http://www.wyndhamcovemarina.com.au/marina/home/default.asp

If you want to know about Point Cook from someone who has lived there for over 2 years and has investments all through southwest Melbourne (and therefore doesn't buy into the negative bs about the region) I'm happy to help out.

which part ?

which part of Point Cook is best or which streets should be avoided? There are sooo many 'estates', it gets quite confusing. Would it be better buying a house & land package or buy an established home? Also, would townhouse rent out better than 3-4 bedroom homes? I know I have to do my own due diligence but since u offered, i might as well ask :) thanks

Industrial areas are at the very south of Werribee around 12KM away or similarly far into Altona and Laverton. To say that they in any way impact on Point Cook is an incredible stretch.
Agreed. I don't think the industrial areas really have an impact on Point Cook (well, ok, maybe it would be better if those industrial areas were houses, but you know what I mean :p ). They are a fair way away and don't really affect the feel of the area when you are in point cook.

Hi Zee, good question. You're right.. there's a lot of estates going up. Somewhere like Featherbrook or Innisfail around Sneydes Road are fairly well positioned, although until Sneydes feeds directly onto the freeway it won't be the most convenient location. Melrose Place around Tom Roberts Pde is currently out in the middle of nowhere but is probably closer to the new shopping centre.

What really matters is what you're looking for personally - close to freeway (in which case you want near Dunnings/Boardwalk, NOT Point Cook Road as it is packed in the morning with Seabrook/Pt Cook/Altona Meadows traffic and you need to go through Laverton to get there). You can also get freeway access from Aviation Road if you're way out in the south but that would be a long way from the town centre. Close to Pt Cook Road helps for access to the train station at Laverton.

I would buy established personally as there's street after street of new houses going up in the newer areas which are heavily under construction, and most are going to be from a selection of houses offered by the builders in the area. This just means that you'll end up with half a street worth of very similar rentals competing for tenants. The closer to Point Cook Road and Sanctuary Lakes you can get the better. Streets in particular that you would want to be near are: Point Cook Road, Dunnings Road, Boardwalk Bvd, Jamieson Way, Lennon Bvd and Sneydes Road. I mention these in particular because they're good for transport (bus, freeway), schools, access to the shops, and are established suburbs with nice properties.

The area now has two shopping centres with the new Point Cook centre being pretty spectacular for a local shopping precinct. Schools and transport, I can't think of much missing.

Transport at Point Cook is very limited, though the area will benefit when/if the proposed Williams Landing station is built. Both Point Cook bus routes run about every 40 minutes until about 7pm and not at all on Sundays. A very limited service - if you leave the city much after 6pm you'll need to take a taxi.

http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/route/view/792
http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/route/view/1130

In contrast Altona Meadows has buses running until 9pm 7 days a week. Parts are also close to Laverton Station, which, unique for a station 22km from the CBD, is Zone 1. This means a reduced fare compared to Point Cook, which is Zone 2. Altona Meadows is also only about 5 min by train, car or bus to Altona Beach.

Hence I would value Altona Meadows higher than Point Cook, even though Point Cook's town centre sounds better than Altona Meadow's.

Transport at Point Cook is very limited, though the area will benefit when/if the proposed Williams Landing station is built. Both Point Cook bus routes run about every 40 minutes until about 7pm and not at all on Sundays. A very limited service - if you leave the city much after 6pm you'll need to take a taxi.

In contrast Altona Meadows has buses running until 9pm 7 days a week. Parts are also close to Laverton Station, which, unique for a station 22km from the CBD, is Zone 1. This means a reduced fare compared to Point Cook, which is Zone 2. Altona Meadows is also only about 5 min by train, car or bus to Altona Beach.

Hence I would value Altona Meadows higher than Point Cook, even though Point Cook's town centre sounds better than Altona Meadow's.

Absolutely. Altona Meadows is smack bang in the middle of it, Pier street and the beach is just up the road, and look whats happening with Pier street, and I have a feeling, as far fetched as it may seem, but it happened to Yarraville Village, even though the set up is different, as in off ramp from the freeway, but, I think Laverton village will take off, and along Railway parade, people are going to be surprised. I think Laverton is untapped gold. I would be looking at the streets that run off Railway parade, great doer uppers, the location is gold.

REIV has tried talking up the west for ages, in the end for Melbourians it is a great divide between the east and the west, and most people will know where they prefer.

Last edited:

Just on that almost everyone I know who lives in point cook and commutes to the city will go to laverton station. Aircraft to laverton station is about 10 minutes walk or a minute in a car. I know I drive from my place in Point Cook and can be at Lavo station within 5 minutes :)
Add to that the express train which take around 30mins to get into the city and I've now got a semi decent commute.

Its actually quicker for me to get to Laverton Station as its a quick trip on the freeway, compared to Aircraft which means you need to go through the PtCook rd traffic :(

Having lived in Altona Meadows before buying in Point Cook, I would have the say the Point Cook town center is much bigger and better. Altona Meadows has been expanded in recent years, but Id guess its only 1/2 to 3/4 the size of Point Cook, which is still being heavily developed.

Agree with what you say about the buses though. I'd never bother catching one as they barely ever run, and take ages to get where you want to go anyway!

Hoppers?

Does anyone think Hoppers is a good alternative to Laverton? Is Hoppers station in Zone 1 or 2 - I assume 2. Do you think it will take off due to all the development going on around it?
Also, does anyone know exactly where the Regional Rail Link that will go through Tarneit is going. I can see approximately where it will run but would like to know exactly. Have left a message on a government answering machine and will probably never receive a call back.
I'm 600km's away and don't know the area at all so am keen to hear what those of you who live or invest in this area think.

I have an IP in HX...it is Zone 2...just!

I actually think HX is nicer than Laverton as it is more residential and has great infrastructure - shops, train, and schools.

The agent I bought off 3 years ago for 170k (house)...says the areas is going nuts with FHB. Stuff is flying out the door if is listed under 250k.....

HX is an older areas so you are buying mostly land...this is what will appreciate.;)

Does anyone think Hoppers is a good alternative to Laverton? Is Hoppers station in Zone 1 or 2 - I assume 2. Do you think it will take off due to all the development going on around it?
Also, does anyone know exactly where the Regional Rail Link that will go through Tarneit is going. I can see approximately where it will run but would like to know exactly. Have left a message on a government answering machine and will probably never receive a call back.
I'm 600km's away and don't know the area at all so am keen to hear what those of you who live or invest in this area think.

Hi,

I found, having spent about a month out there in july last year, that there is no public transport, or very very little.
The closest station is airport or laverton. And while it IS still in zone1, it's a long trip into the city. Around 40 minutes or so IIRC.

Also - the westgate craaaaawls during peak hour.

The agent I bought off 3 years ago for 170k (house)...says the areas is going nuts with FHB. Stuff is flying out the door if is listed under 250k.....

The whole of the west is like that.. in the north west subistute 300k for the 250 in the south west.

There is almost panic out there amongst the first home buyers trying to find something affordable before 30 June.

The house I bought in October is up 12.5% since then!

HX is an older areas so you are buying mostly land...this is what will appreciate.;)

Very sage words ....

cheers

RightValue

Back