Powerball $70m Jackpot

Bought enough games to cover all the powerball numbers.

At least I am guaranteed to get one number... Now need some insane luck for the rest.

Bought enough games to cover all the powerball numbers.

At least I am guaranteed to get one number... Now need some insane luck for the rest.
I usually get a couple of 'PowerHit' games when it gets this big, it gives you the Powerball number by default, but it's circa $20 per game. If I win I want the big prize not a lousy few thousand dollars :cool:

I tend to stay away from the major draws,the odds of winning are increased by more punters.

I seldomly punt on lotto but on rare occasions,i do tatts.

Got 5 numbers once,thought yee-hah,this should be few k at least.

Got 900 back :( ...All good though :)

You'd think being 1 off the major prize would be bigger.

We will buy power ball when it goes over 20 mill.

I'm not going to win it , but I figure if I'm not going to win , I might as well not win 30 or 70 mill rather than 1 .

1 would be nice but it's not going to take us to another level of wealth . 30 , 70 ....

I'm sure we could work out what to do with it . ;)

Cliff

Maybe it is better to buy a less popular one like the Sat's 4 Mil one. Winning proportion might be higher if less number of people participate.

Maybe it is better to buy a less popular one like the Sat's 4 Mil one. Winning proportion might be higher if less number of people participate.

It's an interesting one. Personally, if I were to gamble (which is exceedingly rare), I'd take part in the superdraws for the following reasons:

- As see_change mentions, winning 1-2 mil isn't really lifechanging. And as the expected value of your ticket is typically around 30c to the $1, it's not worth gambling long term, unless you are doing it for the 'hope' of something lifechanging
- Even though you are very likely to share the main prize, $70m divided by 10 people is still better than $4m to yourself. You might get really unlucky and it might split between say 35 people. But that's still $2m. And in any case, you are extremely unlikely to win anyway so it's all a moot point - again, you are playing for the 'hope' of something lifechanging.

The lower division prizes are usually worse for higher jackpots, but again, you aren't playing to win 4th or 5th division, so it's a moot point again.

I did some analysis on expected values once before, looking at average prize pool winnings for different size jackpots etc. I don't think I have it anymore though. It's always interesting analysing the lotto the.

The other thing you have to consider is that expected value is quite useless when looking at long odds.

For example, consider a lotto where you have a 1 in a 100 trillion chance of winning 100 trillion dollars. The cost of a ticket is 10c. Your expected value per $1 is $10 - an amazing deal right? But you'd be a fool to enter as you are practically guaranteed to lose your money (even though on paper, you expect to get $10 for every $1 you bet).

I have an ozlotteries account, and noticed I had 11 bucks sitting in it, so I bought the smallest ticket possible, $4.20.

Last year I bought a single game in one of the big draws for $1.35, and won $13.50. That's a 1000% return. Damn it's good to be a gambler.

I agree devank,when i do have the odd punt,i'll either do mon/wed tatts or saturday.

Though you have a small chance of winning,tatts outweighs oz lotto and powerball on %.

I haven't looked but if powerball has gone off,i hope there are 70 winners!

2 x division 1 winner tonight.
1 from NSW and another from QLD

Raise your hand if it is you. We will help you invest it all into IPs

I chucked in money with the people in my office. I only do it because my morale and happiness would plummet if they all won big and I didn't.

Back