Private schools in Sydney

At ages 3 and 5, (and well into the beyond) public is just fine in most cases.

Unless there is a "keep up with the Jones" mentality in the neighborhood, but we don't subscribe to that brainlessness here at SS; do we?

Save yourself loads of money.

The parents' input into their kids education is the main difference.

We chose to send our kids to a private all boys Anglican Grammar school and for us the results have been excellent. The older they get the less influence you have on them and its their peers who make or break the equation.

There has been a number of articles in the Age from people who are unhappy that the private schools get a small subsidy. Frankly the $2500 the state and federal governments input would not stop us from continuing. What it would do is make it a bit more elite and then you would have these same private school haters screaming about the elite nobs.

The fee's are yes a cool $22,000 +++ a year and 80% of the parents who send their children really struggle to meet the cost. My parents in Canada had the opportunity to send me to an elite school but being poorly educated themselves couldn't see past the $. When it came my turn I could see the value. I did not complete high school initially but went back as an adult and eventually obtained a uni degree.

The majority think they cannot afford private school fee's but as you know with property investing its all about what you want out of life.

Of course not; it's not something that anyone will openly admit to.

Although; you sometimes get the ones who like to "accidentally" drop a name. :rolleyes:

I have to admit that I know a few people who seem to take pleasure in telling people that their kid(s) go to the local Grammar schools.

I think it's a real balancing act - as a parent it's important to understand the development of the child into an adult, even when sometimes that means letting them struggle a bit.

Ouch! Hate to be in her position next year Cliff. Heard all the grad programs are being pulled. Maybe she needs to change one of her subs to Insolvency!

She's keen to get out and start working ( read - earning ...) , though we keep saying it would be a good time to do a second degree.

She's always had part time jobs and when her second last one went in a mass retrenchment , she had another job within a couple of weeks where she's going well. She just gone for an interview with a major US company looking for part times jobs in marketing . They have a Grad program .

Cliff

Don't pick this one

A Sydney primary school teacher accused of molesting two young boys more than 20 years ago has been refused bail on four charges.

Craig Treloar, 49, of Hornsby, is a year six teacher at Sydney's Knox Grammar School, according to the school's website.

Two former students of the school, at Wahroonga in the city's north, were 11 and 12 when the alleged offences took place in 1986. They lodged a complaint with police in January.

"Following a number of inquiries by detectives, a 49-year-old man attended the Hornsby police station yesterday to assist officers with their investigation," police said in a statement on Tuesday.

He has been charged with two acts of indecency and two counts of indecent assault.

Treloar faced Hornsby Local Court on Tuesday. He was refused bail and will appear in the same court on March 24.

Selective High Schools

Not sure if this was already mentioned but another option to Private schools is to try and get your kids into a public selective high school. Not sure if there is anything similar for public primary schools though.

I went to Penrith High and it was quite a difference for me having gone to a normal public High School and then going to a selective one.

Back