Purchasing a Puppy

Can I ask how does your "Dogcam" work, how much does it cost and where can I get one?

My dog is home alone during the day while I'm at work and she's a known escape artist. I'm yet to figure out how she does it! Last time she escaped she got caught by the cops!

I have several cameras at home. Some are a basic security camera arrangement, like you see in shops:

http://www.adelong.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=709_179&products_id=18368

But this is not usually directed at the dogs. For that I just use wireless IP cameras like this one (I use another more expensive model but they getting quite cheap now)

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=QC3397&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1035#5

They are on my wifi network at home and by using "port redirection" I allow them to be seen from outside my home via passwords. You can just use a normal web browser to view but I wrote a monitor program (DogCam) for windows and for Android to watch and save the images. I just use still images every 20 sec or so, no need for video. When I see the dogs start to jump up and down then I can check who is outside using the security video. I guess my two dogs are part of the home security too :D

I'm lucky in that they choose to sleep by the front door most of the day, so I aim a camera there. I put a few more around the house but I can't cover it all of course so sometimes I can't see where they are.

Quick and easy Dog Cam.....

1 - Set up a Skype account for your dog (free).
2 - Set up a Skype account for you (free)
3 - Set your laptop or computer with it's webcam pointing where you want to view, (dogs area), log into Skype on the dogs account and set it to 'auto-answer'.

At work, or on your iPhone...

4 - Log in to your Skype account.
5 - "Ring" your dog, dogs Skype will auto-answer on your dogs behalf.
6 - Proceed to watch dog pee on sofa and eat cushions.

7 -Switch your speakers on before you leave and you can shout at your dog to stop peeing on said sofa.
8 - Watch bemused face on dog as you reprimand him from peeing on said sofa yet he can't see, or smell you.

Voila - if you have a webcam already, you've got a free dog cam set-up that you can access from anywhere with an internet connection.

Great idea. I did that once long time ago but bandwidth was too low at the time. The plan was to use skype when I couldn't see my dogs and by calling then woofing over phone they would come back from wherever they got too. And, as you say, looking confused.

Great idea. I did that once long time ago but bandwidth was too low at the time. The plan was to use skype when I couldn't see my dogs and by calling then woofing over phone they would come back from wherever they got too. And, as you say, looking confused.

Woofing wouldnt do anythinig for my dog, but if I said "do you want a biscuit" it would be all paws on deck!

Thanks for all the great replies.
I want a puppy so it can be trained along with my existing cat.
I have researched breeds that fit my cat and lifestyle and a bulldog and pug are coming up well.

Thanks for dogzonline, what about backyard breeders in the trading post, is it a gut type feel after inspecting there premises and pups etc

I wouldn't go a backyard breeder - especially for brachacephelic breeds like pugs and bulldogs. You will pay more for a registered breeder but if you choose the right one, you'll probably experience less medical issues. I can provide you with some contacts if you're after a pug.

P.s - both breeds are hard work! Regular wrinkle cleans and keeping a close eye on them during the summer months.

Cheers

Jamie

Thanks for all the great replies.
I want a puppy so it can be trained along with my existing cat.
I have researched breeds that fit my cat and lifestyle and a bulldog and pug are coming up well.

Thanks for dogzonline, what about backyard breeders in the trading post, is it a gut type feel after inspecting there premises and pups etc

Cuties! I used to really love Pugs but my friend had a couple and I disliked their snorty, snotty nose. If I remember correctly their is a pug rescue site that explains disadvantages of Pugs. My friend has a pug x that she got from pound that is lovely! Chihuahua x Pug (Chug) are nice too. I would choose a pug x over pedigree.
I disagree that you shouldn't go for back yard breeders. Growing up we bred a litter of Staffies. We kept one and the lady owner of the stud (met while wlking my female dog) kept one and they were lovely pets. Previously I looked into purchasing a Devon Rex cat in WA. You can only purchase through registered breeders. They were all bought up in cages in sheds. I'd imagine some dog breeding would be the same. I'd much prefer a pet bought up in a house with kids, etc. a few of my friends have bred dogs, one or two litters. It is my preference.
I have a runt puppy on hold at an animal shelter, I'm taking the kids to see soon. I finally got talked into getting another dog. :)

Pugaliers are quite common now and sort out some of the pure Pug issues.

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/2003/archives/2003/roadtests/dog_breeds/pugaliers

pugalier0_20070105_1697298836.jpg

I wouldn't get a cross bred pug.

If you get one from a decent breeder you should be fine. I've never had any breathing issues with my boys. They snort/grunt/snore but that's them. They walk 3kms a day without hassle. I just take more caution in the hotter months when it comes to walking them - either it's early morning or late evening.

Cheers

Jamie

Thanks for all the advice
A pet shop was always out of the question.
RSPCA would of been good but not for what i wanted. I got my cat from a cat shelter

So it was a decision between backyarders and registered.

I actually went with a combination of both. How??

Well I have a new British Bulldog Pup. The breeder was registered only due to the pedigree of the breed, and i have full papers, i personally wouldnt even classifuy these guys as breeders, however what i really liked about the couple was they actually don't do it for a living and wow, you should have seen how they treat there dogs.

So Here i am, puppy is asleep after a play with my cat.My cat has already taken over and there getting along great

Some tensions between puppy and cat, puppy plays too much for her and a bit of jealousy
No accidents for her in 2 days which is great, goes on command outside

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 86
Some tensions between puppy and cat, puppy plays too much for her and a bit of jealousy
No accidents for her in 2 days which is great, goes on command outside

What a cutie! Does he sleep through the night? Ive had my pup two nights now and barely had sleep for two nights. I don't remember my other dogs being like this!

Gorgeous puppy!

Hopefully kitty will get over her jealousy once the puppy gets a bit older and calms down. It sounds like the transition/introduction went easily and smoothly which is great news.

Thanks for sharing the adorableness with us!

we were accidental breeders once, four puppies from Daughter's rescued dog, CUTE ALERT
[cute]
attachment.php

attachment.php

[/cute]
but we didnt breed them as much as take the responsibility after the dog was dumped

They have loving homes now, and owners to call their own

Attachments

• 100_3264.jpg
    100_3264.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 100_3298.jpg
    100_3298.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 332
  • 100_3310a.jpg
    100_3310a.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 100_3632.jpg
    100_3632.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
we were accidental breeders once, four puppies from Daughter's rescued dog, CUTE ALERT

Ah, crazily cute! They look like border collies; I have such a soft spot for those herding critters. I was considering one until I found out they may attempt to herd my cats :eek:

Back