Qantas Grounded?

I see dead people.....!!

Just kidding...I can't wait to see Qantas be put into bankruptcy.

The short **** Irishman does have a brain after all.

By doing this he puts Jetstar in a position to buy Qantas back for a fraction of the cost. He has already moved a lot of the value into Jetstar anyway.

He gets to fire the overweight union reps...and their lazy ways. He also gets rid of the surly flight attendant types at Qantas.

No more unions...no more problems!!!

Couldn't happen to nicer bunch of union guys! Hopefully this plays out in other heavily unionised industries!

Now hurry up get this crisis over so I can get to WA to buy more property in December!!

What do you mean by buying Qantas back? Considering that under the same listed entity? Internal structuring wouldn't have a 'buying system'..

I severely doubt he trying to sink Qantas for Jetstar, he seems to be helping Virgin too much in this situation. A more likely scenario would have been in increasing Jetstar capacity at the expense of Qantas, whilst keeping Jetstar prices artificially low to ensure the marketshare is directed towards Jetstar, as opposed to competing entities.

What it appears to be none other than an attempt to reign the union in, crushing any hopes of running up ongoing costs any more than necessary.

Q wouldn't be cutting off their nose to spite their face, that's for sure.

There'd be more method in their madness than there'd be in the unions.

True under the same entity....but under different corporate structures.

I am sure our Paddy has has modelled this....sure Virgin and Tiger will win some ground...but he may have already got the capacity in place for Jetstar to take the load from Qantas. The Jetstar pricing has moved in line with the dispute just like Virgin and it now in line with what Qantas was charging. So then he can claim the business moved to Jetstar and downsize staff at Qantas....but he being a noice guy could re-employ then at Jestar at 50% of the Qantas salaries! Don't think that will happen if this dispute drags on? :p

Joyce like his mentor Dixon wants to crush the unions...and rightfully so.

The trouble is that Labour is full of useless union heavies...lets hope the right in ALP keeps the unionists in check.

Anyway....about time we had more competition in the domestic market....I say let the Asian airlines in....that will sort the unions!

What do you mean by buying Qantas back? Considering that under the same listed entity? Internal structuring wouldn't have a 'buying system'..

I severely doubt he trying to sink Qantas for Jetstar, he seems to be helping Virgin too much in this situation. A more likely scenario would have been in increasing Jetstar capacity at the expense of Qantas, whilst keeping Jetstar prices artificially low to ensure the marketshare is directed towards Jetstar, as opposed to competing entities.

What it appears to be none other than an attempt to reign the union in, crushing any hopes of running up ongoing costs any more than necessary.

At what price would you consider Qantas shares worth buying?

difficult question to answer, some comments:
(a) Qantas is an airline company, therefore definately not a share to 'buy and hold', its part cyclical and part 'popularity' play. (I need both these factors, and buying at the low or near low of both).
(b) NTA is $2.45 so theoretically buying somewhere below this price should be 'safe' after allowing for additional costs to come out of the NTA. ie NTA represents the net asset value, hence roughly the breakup value, if everything is flogged (but you would have additional costs, eg redundancies, lease obligations etc that need to be deducted, what is the 'price of these costs???') On the 'plus side' what is the value of the Qantas frequent flyer program??? Obviously if broken up, this wouldnt be used for Qantas but the program would still have value to another airline because of its network.
(c) Qantas generates good cash flow and has always generated good cashflow. The underlying company is profitable, but this cash flow is not free cash flow. Aircrafts are expensive and need replacing, if one looks back through 10 years of financial history we can see good cash flow, but every year heavy capital expenditure (hence why airlines are not good long term investments). So effectively the money comes in and it goes out the door again.
(d) we need to see the outcome of this dispute. Its very important that Qantas wins this battle, otherwise it will just be death by a thousand cuts. I am not worried about the short term customer impact, customers can be wooed back, but if the cost structure is ineffecient, it doesnt matter if one has customers or not, because they cant make a quid from it.
(e) when reviewing the 'value' of qantas, the AU$ has a huge impact. High AU$ is good for jet fuel, international travel, but all the airlines that move out of australia get this benefit. In my opinion the 'value' comes from a lower AU$ where this is less labour cost pressure (as overseas labour costs in US$ increase).

The best situation is if everything is resolved in qantas favour, but the market focuses on the short term impact of customer anger and belts the share price down further. This would enable someone with a longer term investment horizon to invest with more confidence, because the share price will recover as customers recover.

On the other hand, how many other people are thinking like me, and what will be the outcome on the shares.

So another opportunity might be to buy in the darkest of days, when the stock has few supporters. The issues have not been resolved, customers are angry.
Share price is likely to tank further because of increased risk.

On this second situation i need a bigger discount, maybe around $1.20 (big enough discount to NTA), but i couldnt go heavy, i would need to be prepared to dollar average, and i still would face the issue of unkown risk.

Sorry if i cant provide exact 'pricing' that i would buy, but hopefullyy it presents some insights into how i value things. I am always looking at risk vs return, and in the current environment both risk and return are moving around.

What ***** me as someone who is on a Q plane 3 or 4 times a month is that the industrial action by the staff has been relatively minor, with plenty of notice provided.

The industrial action by management was extreme and without any notice whatsoever

Now that the good people at Virgin hav matched my Q FF status, it is is difficult to see the merits of continuing to support an enterprise capable of a dummy spit of that magnitude.

mate you might be a good 'finance guru' but you know little about running a business in the competitive market place where pricing is the primary decision of choice (yes even in the budget and premium based markets, ie budget to budget, and premium to premium) and where the fixed cost base is massive.

How much does it cost to get each plane in the air and flown to a particular destination. How much of that is 'pre-cost', ie making sure the plane is ok, safety checks etc. What is the degree of 'linked services', can i fly the plane, if no baggage handlers?, what about if i have handlers but no engineers. What if i have handlers but no stewards. What is the degree of brand destruction if the pilots are making announcements to the detriment of the brand (how would it look if the local sales rep for coke started telling outlets they are crazy buying coke, switch to pepsi, how much money is spent on brandcreation.

For a high fixed cost business, just having 'customers' doesnt solve the issue.

Low pay? Haha Aussie unionists are funny

But doesn't matter I never fly Qantas anyway. Bad service, horrible delays, bad food, bad in flight entertainment. And 40 year old plus hostesses doesn't help. Whoops Aussie forum shouldnt say something so politically incorrect. Will be taking Cathay on my way back next week from HK.

haha yes, or Singapore Airlines, but then i guess it helps when one has 'yellow fever':D

Or should i be more politically correct and just state that i am an egg, lol

I see dead people.....!!

Just kidding...I can't wait to see Qantas be put into bankruptcy.

The short **** Irishman does have a brain after all.

By doing this he puts Jetstar in a position to buy Qantas back for a fraction of the cost. He has already moved a lot of the value into Jetstar anyway.

He gets to fire the overweight union reps...and their lazy ways. He also gets rid of the surly flight attendant types at Qantas.

No more unions...no more problems!!!

Couldn't happen to nicer bunch of union guys! Hopefully this plays out in other heavily unionised industries!

Now hurry up get this crisis over so I can get to WA to buy more property in December!!

You should be in corporate game strategy Sash, you get the jist out of the speel.:D

On the other hand, how many other people are thinking like me, and what will be the outcome on the shares.

So another opportunity might be to buy in the darkest of days, when the stock has few supporters. The issues have not been resolved, customers are angry.
Share price is likely to tank further because of increased risk.

On this second situation i need a bigger discount, maybe around $1.20 (big enough discount to NTA), but i couldnt go heavy, i would need to be prepared to dollar average, and i still would face the issue of unkown risk.

And now we are getting some commentary from the financial community. One from a well known and very successful value investor in Australia:

Wilson Asset Management chairman Geoff Wilson said he did not think Mr Joyce would have taken such extraordinary action "unless he believed he had no other real choice in terms of protecting the long-term profitability of the business".

"But the impact that it will have on the Qantas brand in the short term is really negative," Mr Wilson said. "From an investment perspective, airlines are not great businesses but Qantas has been one of the better ones. We'd be buyers tomorrow if the stock is off significantly."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...-the-qantas-boss/story-fn91v9q3-1226180937215

Especially when because of websites such as Webjet etc, those customers are becoming as loyal as the next price slashing of ticket prices online.

We recently flew to QLD and back (family of 4) for $660. Fantastic for us, but not so good for the airline I'd say.

That was with Virgin, by the way.

Last edited:
Have you no idea how an industrial economy works? I never said it would work forever but how you believe property can increase faster than inflation forever leaves me dumbfounded.

What does this even mean? That because a guy a century ago made a decision to pay workers enough to buy his product that I don't know how to invest in property? If this is a mistake, then I'm happy to forget about it, but I fear your cheese is sliding off the cracker.

If you want to discuss property price growth then let's take it to an appropriate thread rather than using it as a personal insult.

mate you might be a good 'finance guru' but you know little about running a business in the competitive market place where pricing is the primary decision of choice (yes even in the budget and premium based markets, ie budget to budget, and premium to premium) and where the fixed cost base is massive.

How much does it cost to get each plane in the air and flown to a particular destination. How much of that is 'pre-cost', ie making sure the plane is ok, safety checks etc. What is the degree of 'linked services', can i fly the plane, if no baggage handlers?, what about if i have handlers but no engineers. What if i have handlers but no stewards. What is the degree of brand destruction if the pilots are making announcements to the detriment of the brand (how would it look if the local sales rep for coke started telling outlets they are crazy buying coke, switch to pepsi, how much money is spent on brandcreation.

I run a large business with big fixed costs (people) and a commodity product (money) so this is nothing new to me.

My issue with Q is not that they are trying to lower their cost base.

Everyone is.

My issue is wildcat industrial action that immediately left 70,000 passengers stranded here and overseas. Q had a range of options and chose to go thermonuclear.

And doing so in order to access centralized arbitration - 1980's style - is the antithesis of where IR has been going the last 20 years.

Yep spot one....absolute malarchy and shiite...

Pilots are limited to number of hours they can fly per month. This is to ensure that they are not fatigued....but two week breaks is rubbish!

...and yes...one would expect to be offered accomodation if you are travelling away from home.

So he flies 24 hours to London, has two weeks off and flies back? I know for a fact this is not true.

As does any employee who travels for work.

Back