Racism in Australia

So even though rascism might exist in the hearts and minds of some individuals it is illegal in Australia. That is the relevant point.
I agree, but it's still a problem, and one that needs to be addressed. :)

I think that as overt racism is no longer socially acceptable, a lot has just been driven "underground", and its ugliness readily becomes visible when the surface is scratched. As we've seen in recent weeks. :(

I find it strange how Australia has become overrun now by immigrants and I'm sure most of them think we are just a stupid country to let them take over out country. This is the result of a politically correct society that we have become. Fueled by TV programs like the Project and Studio 10 where people sit around complaining how PC this or that wasn't.

I use to travel to a lot of countries regularly and it would be unheard of to ever see a foreigner serving a local in a Government department, it would be unthinkable that foreigners would line up each week for a free pay check.

I'm glad to see the Government is making some changes but I think that immigrants should not be able to run for Mayor like we have in many Sydney suburbs like Stratified were certain groups are taking over these suburbs and we need a 10 year period before they can get in Government Jobs or receive benefits. Immigrants should be forced to live in places where they need new residents instead of them all immigrating to certain suburbs in Sydney.[/QUOTE]

Hi Leanne

There are contradictions in Australia. The polarities seem wider and should be wider in a democracy. Seems brave, liberal , all-embracing and futuristic, such is life in the lucky country. Not much desperation required in Australia, welfare safety net is available, lay back, and when not well informed of what is happening in the rest of Asia, Australians can be seen as out of touch with reality!

On the flip side. I feel quite intimidated when I go to some suburbs in Sydney where up to 90% of the people are immigrants or visitors from other countries

I know of Aussie-only bars in Thailand and the Phillipines. The locals don't seem to mind. And what of expatriate Aussie enclaves in London or HK? Doesn't seem to intimidate the locals. So why deny immigrants in Aust the same right to hang out with their own. The much-reviled Irish immigrants had their "ghettos" more than a century ago. The same with Italians and Greeks.

immigrants should not be able to run for Mayor like we have in many Sydney suburbs like Stratified .

So it's OK to tax immigrants but, at the same time, deny them a political voice. That's unfair and primitive. Just so you know, the father of Australia's constitution was an immigrant.....do you seriously believe he should have been denied political office?

normal aussies like me

Your views deviate from the norm.

I'm glad to see the Government is making some changes

You mean to say you are glad that the trains are running on time?

I think that as overt racism is no longer socially acceptable, a lot has just been driven "underground", and its ugliness readily becomes visible when the surface is scratched. As we've seen in recent weeks. :(

We don't live in a perfect world, a utopia. Having perfect qualities is impossible. There will always be bogans pulling cones with mates and talking about how much they hate so and so 'cause they're from such and such country, and they're over here to rort the system etc etc

And yet, it's the bogans who are rorting the system. They need to have a good look at themselves. If they diverted their energy to property investment then they might realise that there are worthwhile things to do in life other than wait in the dole queue.

We have enacted laws which make rascism illegal, in fact it is illegal to discriminate ( although this current government wishes to change that).

What changes to the illegality of discrimination or racism has the government proposed to make?

What changes to the illegality of discrimination or racism has the government proposed to make?
The Abbott government wants to repeal s 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act, which reads:
Offensive behaviour because of race, colour or national or ethnic origin

(1) It is unlawful for a person to do an act, otherwise than in private, if:

(a) the act is reasonably likely, in all the circumstances, to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or a group of people; and

(b) the act is done because of the race, colour or national or ethnic origin of the other person or of some or all of the people in the group.

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), an act is taken not to be done in private if it:

(a) causes words, sounds, images or writing to be communicated to the public; or

(b) is done in a public place; or

(c) is done in the sight or hearing of people who are in a public place.

(3) In this section:

"public place" includes any place to which the public have access as of right or by invitation, whether express or implied and whether or not a charge is made for admission to the place.

The Abbott government wants to repeal s 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act, which reads:

I'm aware of the formerly proposed changes to 18C.

The change from "offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or a group of people" because of their race or ethnicity" to "unlawful for a person to do an act ... that is reasonably likely to vilify another person or a group of persons or intimidate another person or group of persons" because of race or ethnicity, did not make racism or discrimination legal as was suggested.

Racism and discrimination was, is and will be (if these changes do resurface) illegal in Australia.

I'm aware of the formerly proposed changes to 18C.

The change from "offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or a group of people" because of their race or ethnicity" to "unlawful for a person to do an act ... that is reasonably likely to vilify another person or a group of persons or intimidate another person or group of persons" because of race or ethnicity, did not make racism or discrimination legal as was suggested.

Racism and discrimination was, is and will be (if these changes do resurface) illegal in Australia.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to patronise, I genuinely thought you were asking for information. :)

I agree with you.

I think if someone's like that, they're just trying to be find something to insult or provoke with, rather than being racist specifically.

This.

Its not really an issue of country-wide racism when you get verbally abused by some random d***head on the street.

Its giving that dude a bit too much credit really. Racial slurs really are the low hanging fruit in terms of trash-tier verbal abuse.

I guess few here have been to a stand up comics show in recent decades..... racial slurs are the norm!

Comedy gets a free pass though, even if it is "offensive" in the view of certain individuals. But it's OK, because it's only broadcast on national TV & radio......so perhaps it is socially acceptable after all.... in light of "all the circumstances". Not even the "law" is "black and white"...

Racism in Australia will improve over time. Much of the racism that is reported happens to 'visible minorities' because they're easy targets. That being said, racism in Australia happens to invisible minorities too. It's just you can't spot them until they open their mouths. Remember that story about the French girl in the bus? http://youtu.be/9oxVlP4pYc0

Australia could learn a lot from Canada on how to absorb and instill pride into immigrants. The beauty is that Canada is mature enough to acknowledge that everyone is an immigrant (apart from the First nations people). It was a different story a few decades ago but Canadians have the right mind set now. Australia isn't quite there ... yet.

Overall I must say that racism in Australia is not that bad. It's not like there's ethnic cleansing going on these days.

Back