RBA cuts rates by 75 bps more than expected

MEDIA RELEASE
No: 2008-25
Date: 4 November 2008
Embargo: For Immediate Release

STATEMENT BY GLENN STEVENS, GOVERNOR
MONETARY POLICY
At its meeting today, the Board decided to reduce the cash rate by 75 basis points to 5.25 per cent, effective 5 November 2008.

World financial markets have remained turbulent over the past month. Global equity prices have been volatile and fell further in net terms, and there have been significant exchange rate movements, including a sharp depreciation of the Australian dollar. A number of governments have announced measures to strengthen their financial systems, which should help to stabilise conditions over time.

International economic data have continued to point to significant weakness in the major industrial economies, and there have been further signs that China and other parts of the developing world are slowing as well. These conditions have contributed to further falls in world commodity prices.

In Australia, the overall path of economic activity appears until recently to have been close to what the Board had expected, with a needed moderation in demand occurring after a period of earlier strength. Recent reductions in borrowing rates, the depreciation of the exchange rate and the fiscal stimulus announced in October will work to assist growth in the period ahead, but deteriorating international conditions and falling commodity prices will have a dampening influence. On balance, it appears likely that spending and activity will be weaker than earlier expected.

Consumer price inflation in Australia remained high in the September quarter. As expected, CPI inflation in year‑ended terms picked up to 5 per cent, while underlying measures were just over 4½ per cent. Nonetheless, capacity pressures are now easing and, given the outlook for more moderate growth in demand and activity, it is reasonable to expect that inflation in Australia will soon start to fall. Global disinflationary forces will assist in this regard, though the depreciation of the exchange rate means that the decline of inflation to the target could take longer than would otherwise be the case.

Weighing up these international and domestic developments, the Board judged that a further significant reduction in the cash rate was warranted. The Board will continue to monitor developments and make adjustments as needed to promote sustainable growth consistent with achieving the 2–3 per cent inflation target over time.

Just heard that while watching Melbourne Cup. Just after the national anthem:)
Great news. Be able to get bread with the Aldi noodles now:D

Gee Cee

Greg

Michael

Not being doom and gloom there just concerned about the economy and this does seem to confirm that the RBA thinks we are slowing more than probably expected.

Agreed it is great for those with a mortgage and I think quite a few of my friends will be breathing a huge sigh of relief so that is more than welcome.

Again just concerned for our general economy.

Hi Team,

Time for the contrarian to re join the forum? I was getting bored of snowboarding anyhow.

Interesting times....

XBenX

Well that's it then - first of my properties officially pushed into cashflow positive with that drop. So at what point are we all supposed to be crashing and burning again? :D

Hi Team,

Time for the contrarian to re join the forum? I was getting bored of snowboarding anyhow.

Interesting times....

XBenX
Awesome!

The Somersoft lead indicator at work again. If XBenX is back in town, then we're definately looking to positive times again for property. We've recently had SeeChange come back too, so its boding well. Now if only AlexLee and AceyDucey would rejoin the fold... ;)

Cheers,
Michael

It is all good here as well.:D

A few would know I took the punt and unlocked my three fixed IP loans two weeks back and ironically we got the paperwork today from CBA.

Anyhow we went from 7.65% fixed to 7.85% variable. UP! Wifey emailed me, please explain!:mad:

But, since paperwork CBA has moved twice, a total of 0.79%. End postion with no other rate reductions we will recoupe break fees in 6 months and one week. From then on we are in the black.

Overall saving are a coffee under $5k per annum. Obviously any further dorps make it all the sweeter. And we enjoyed 7.65% for over12 months.

In the words of the imortal A Team tv show, " I love it when a plan comes together".

Regards Peter 14.7

Awesome!

The Somersoft lead indicator at work again. If XBenX is back in town, then we're definately looking to positive times again for property. We've recently had SeeChange come back too, so its boding well. Now if only AlexLee and AceyDucey would rejoin the fold... ;)

Cheers,
Michael

Sounds like a race being call

:p

An Update on Household Finances by Ric Battellino Deputy Governor

The extraordinary developments in global financial markets over the past couple of months have, understandably, undermined households’ confidence in their finances. This has occurred around the world.

Households have seen incredible volatility in financial prices. Daily movements in share prices of several percentage points have become the norm.
Share prices have fallen sharply around the globe. In Australia, the share market is down about 40 per cent in 2008, resulting in negative returns in most individuals’ superannuation funds.

The difficulties in global interbank markets which had existed since August 2007 took a dramatic turn for the worse last month. The crisis, which had until then been largely confined to wholesale markets, spilled over into a severe loss of confidence among retail investors in financial institutions. Governments around the world have been forced to offer wide-ranging guarantees on banks’ liabilities.
And, to top it off, some commentators are predicting sharp falls in house prices here in Australia.

Given the daily barrage of gloom and doom, it is easy for households to lose perspective, so I thought it would be useful to take an objective look at the state of household finances. In doing so, I will focus on three key areas:

household income;
household balance sheets; and
the housing market – in particular, is the Australian housing market going to go the same way as the US market?

Household Income
The first thing to say about household income is that the past five years have been an extraordinarily favourable period. Real disposable income of the household sector grew on average by 6.1 per cent per year, resulting in a cumulative increase over the five years of more than 30 per cent. One has to go back more than thirty years to find a bigger increase over a five‑year period.

Cont..on Link

Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I last posted. Just done some quick sums and found 3 of my ip's now possitive after all expences paid.

I singed a contract for a property in Loganlea back in June. The only mob that would lend me money was a company called Direct Credit over in Carina Brisbane. Offering No Doc's at 9.6%. My misses barked alittle when I explained we had to give 3 of CBA mortages to get it.

I'll be makeing an effort next week to ring around to see if my situation looks better now. Also the problem was with not holding my abn long enough.

John.

My liver will be crying after a nice celebratory drink tonight.

mine too, it's actually hurting right now...:D

I haven't done the calcs yet but with this latest cut
some of my IP's would be crossing into "cash flow neutral" territory...:)

:)

This is so cool

:D

This is the 3rd cut since I signed my contract in September, and I havent even started to make repayments yet, thats a month off!!

When I first did my calcs I was having to pay about $300 a week, then after the 0.8% cut it went down to $270, now if ANZ cut by 0.5 my repayments (for my ppor) will be $247 a week. Wooohoooo. I can now save more for my next property.

When my repayments hit $220 a week I am going to fix for 5 or 7 years.

:)

I am starting to think my next financial analysis is whether my s15-15 needs drastic revision to show more tax owing. Rents have been rising too. All good of course, not complaining, but still a problem that needs to be fixed. More IP renovations for deductible expenses, contributions to superannuation for co-contribution benefit and interest in advance are strategic options.

Great for properties so far despite all the G&D hype. I wonder how long GHPC afficionados will hold out from investing in RE. :p :D

Back