Recruiter/job boards for Petroleum and gas industry jobs?

Hi guys,

One of my friend is migrating to Australia end of this year permanently. He currently works as a Project Engineer with a major petroleum company in Muscat.

I am in IT industry and have no ideas how to guide him to recruiters or employers for Petroleum and Gas industry jobs. Can anyone provide links/contact details or any other details for recruiters in Australia that he can call/email to secure a job interview.

He can migrate early if the job requires him to.

Hi guys,

One of my friend is migrating to Australia end of this year permanently. He currently works as a Project Engineer with a major petroleum company in Muscat.

I am in IT industry and have no ideas how to guide him to recruiters or employers for Petroleum and Gas industry jobs. Can anyone provide links/contact details or any other details for recruiters in Australia that he can call/email to secure a job interview.

He can migrate early if the job requires him to.

Try Brunel Energy and Swift Oil and Gas as they handle a lot of the contract and permie recruitment positions for O&G.

Most of the companies also do EOI and positions directly. So check Chevron, BP, Shell, Woodside, Santos (Adelaide), Beach (Adelaide), Inpex, Ophir, Exxon, Mimi and umm a zillion others.

Most are in Perth but there are some in Adelaide, Brisbane and Melbourne.

Try Brunel Energy and Swift Oil and Gas as they handle a lot of the contract and permie recruitment positions for O&G.

Most of the companies also do EOI and positions directly. So check Chevron, BP, Shell, Woodside, Santos (Adelaide), Beach (Adelaide), Inpex, Ophir, Exxon, Mimi and umm a zillion others.

Most are in Perth but there are some in Adelaide, Brisbane and Melbourne.

Thanks WM,
Thats a good start. I will forward this to him to have a crack at applying via the company websites.

Miningoilandgasjobs.com
Oilandgasjobsearch.com
Rigzone.com
Oil careers.com

Then direct to manpower companies such as hays, fircroft, etc

Also look at direct employ via shell, chevron etc.

Also look at the usual search engines.

Oil and gas is one of the few industries that I know of which uses LinkedIn to recruit. So make sure his profile is up to date.

However his best resource would be people who he has been working with directing him into roles. It's a massive 'boys club' and once your in you are usually good.

However his best resource would be people who he has been working with directing him into roles. It's a massive 'boys club' and once your in you are usually good.

Blacky, you seem to know your stuff

Now, what if, someone new to join this field with no relevant experience, would this "Boys club" still be of any relevance

Blacky, you seem to know your stuff

Now, what if, someone new to join this field with no relevant experience, would this "Boys club" still be of any relevance

Absolutely. The "boys club" isnt exclusive. It just helps... a lot.
Im not from an engineering or mechanical background (which is the common route), but still managed to get my foot in the door. From there its a lot of leg work. You need to survive the crap - to be able to enjoy the sunlight on the other side.

It can be done. The industry is massive, and there is a requirements for almost all trades/profesions. Getting in is the hard bit.

BTW - oil and gas is better than mining... but shh dont tell everyone ;)

Blacky

Absolutely. The "boys club" isnt exclusive. It just helps... a lot.
Im not from an engineering or mechanical background (which is the common route), but still managed to get my foot in the door. From there its a lot of leg work. You need to survive the crap - to be able to enjoy the sunlight on the other side.

It can be done. The industry is massive, and there is a requirements for almost all trades/profesions. Getting in is the hard bit.

BTW - oil and gas is better than mining... but shh dont tell everyone ;)

Blacky

Tips on getting in? Last I heard of was not easy at all

Tips on getting in? Last I heard of was not easy at all

Go for a contract position first as there are a lot more. If you want to jump straight into a permanent role you'll probably never get in without knowing someone.

I contracted for a few years before going permanent, made redundant, went contracting again, went permanent. I think in the 16 years I probably contracted half of it.

It's a bit of a leap of faith to give up a perm role and go for a contract but once you have your foot in the door the contracts are often extended or you can use the internal vacancies board to find other roles.

Work with your nose to the ground, make yourself known, join community of practices if they have them and don't make enemies :)

Another job search site I've found useful is indeed.com, I've found a few jobs on there that hadn't shown up on the other major jobsearch websites.

Good luck.

Go for a contract position first as there are a lot more. If you want to jump straight into a permanent role you'll probably never get in without knowing someone.

I contracted for a few years before going permanent, made redundant, went contracting again, went permanent. I think in the 16 years I probably contracted half of it.

It's a bit of a leap of faith to give up a perm role and go for a contract but once you have your foot in the door the contracts are often extended or you can use the internal vacancies board to find other roles.

Work with your nose to the ground, make yourself known, join community of practices if they have them and don't make enemies :)

Yep, second this - esspecially in regards to the contract positions. Often though a 12month contract will become a 2 year contract - though not always.

Also start with 'second tier' companies. That is sub contractors. Smaller companies who have guys onsite - working for the major contractors - who work for the operators. You will be pushing the proverbial up hill trying to get an onsite gig with the likes of chevron, shell or BP without experiance.

The smaller contractors will be competing with the operators, and wont pay as much, will have worse conditions, and the rotations wont be so pretty. But hey, its all experiance and it counts.

It took me over 5years before I picked up the deal I wanted.

Blacky

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will pass on this info to my mate. Hopefully, he would be able to join the 'boys club' soon.

Why are O&G employees paid so well, is it across the board?

We had a friend who was being paid as much as a gynaecologist:eek:

Why are O&G employees paid so well, is it across the board?

We had a friend who was being paid as much as a gynaecologist:eek:

I would like to think its because us O&G workers are some of the smartest, brightest, most motivated talented individuals you will ever be so fortunate to cross paths with... and thats without mentioning my striking good looks ;):p

In reality the comments above are probably more accurate.
Generally speaking the working conditions arent great. Long hours, is some very undesirable locatations. Added to that it remains a dandgerous industry to work in.
However, it is also very profitable for the operators. Time is money. So paying guys to work like dogs, is cheaper than delaying a project. People will tolerate a lot if you pay them enough ;)

Blacky

Back