Replacing Tyres - Prado 4WD

Hi All

DH in the process of organising replacement of all tyres for his 4WD, he mentioned it would cost around $1400, have no idea what he is looking at, however seems a lot of money for tyres or do I have it wrong??

Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations with regards to this.

Many thanks

MTR:)

$260-$300 each is about right depending on make/model. That price sounds like the spare is getting done too.

The Y-man

no change out of $1100 for (4) Ford territory tires.
I think ford chose some obscure tyre size for that one.

Sure is tough for families to replace tyres on 2 cars once a year.

We got five done on our Prado with Cooper Tyres 80,000kms and many moons ago for about $280 each. They look to still have at least another 20,000kms in them, probably more. Regular rotation including the spare seems to really help with mileage but these have been superb tyres - just a little noisy if anything. Internet reviews haven't been so great on them though so maybe we just got lucky, although I notice a lot of the time it's only the people who have had issues who bother writing a review.

If you want off road performance then I'm reliably informed that Mickey Thompson's are the favoured option over on the Pradopoint forums...

unless families are driving a combined 60-80 thousand kms a year i dont see how they would need to replace tyres yearly on both cars

For us, it has been eight years since we last replaced the tyres on our only family car with three kids in all that time! And most of those kms would have been for holidays...

The benefits of cycling to work!

Tell me what size and I'll give you a few different approximate prices.

Not trying to get the job; just helping you know what the options are.

A bit off topic, but not worth it's own thread,....

I've come across a few people lately on the side of the road, with a flat tire, but unable to change the wheel because the nuts were put on too tight at a tire place. Not just little girls either, big 100 kilo farmers and tradies.

Had to go and get a big set of sockets with leverage to help em out.

See ya's.

For us, it has been eight years since we last replaced the tyres on our only family car with three kids in all that time! And most of those kms would have been for holidays...

The benefits of cycling to work!

Ozone........... might be time to replace those tyres : )

ta
rolf

Thanks for feedback everyone:)

Currently have Cooper tyres, he is not happy with this make.

Bayview
Size of tyre - 265/65R17

Thanks

Thanks for feedback everyone:)

Currently have Cooper tyres, he is not happy with this make.

Bayview
Size of tyre - 265/65R17

Thanks
Here's a few for eg, we quote on fitted and balanced:
H/T = Highway tread.
A/T = All terrain

Kumho KL51 H/T - $255
Hankook RA23 H/T - $289
Hankook RF10 A/T - $295
Nankang FT7 A/T - $255
Goodyear Efficientgrip H/T - $310
Dunlop Grantrek AT3 - $335

Hi MTR,

You mentioned on another thread that your visiting melb around chrissy time,why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone and visit BV :)

Cheers Spades.

Ozone........... might be time to replace those tyres : )

ta
rolf

Yep - not planning on doing the Gibb River Road or even soft sand work on these tyres anymore. From memory they are 10ply anyway and showing no sign of deterioration yet. Will have to check the side wall...

You should see how old the tyres are that my FIL still runs on his farm gear! :eek:

Will probably trade the car just before the tyres run out anyway. A few other things will probably need attention by then...

A bit off topic, but not worth it's own thread,....

I've come across a few people lately on the side of the road, with a flat tire, but unable to change the wheel because the nuts were put on too tight at a tire place. Not just little girls either, big 100 kilo farmers and tradies.

Had to go and get a big set of sockets with leverage to help em out.

See ya's.
A piece of tubed pipe over the nut spanner will usually provide enough leverage to get the tough ones off...not always easy but will get there.

And/or stand on the spanner and use your body weight.

A piece of tubed pipe over the nut spanner will usually provide enough leverage to get the tough ones off...not always easy but will get there.

And/or stand on the spanner and use your body weight.

Hi Bayview,

9 times out of 10 yes but also have to factor lock nuts and how some numpty has tightened the nuts and stuffed the thread.
An electric impact wrench would help.

Another tip for op is to not to untighten the wheels nuts while it's jacked :p

Cheers Spades.

For us, it has been eight years since we last replaced the tyres on our only family car with three kids in all that time!

I'd be concerned running the kids around in a potential death trap...
http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars/car_advice/car_fact_sheets/tyres

Can a tyre be too old?

Car tyres can deteriorate with age. A tyre that’s been sitting in the spare wheel well for years, even though it’s never been used and has plenty of tread could be ready for retirement.

Heat, sunlight, ozone and other environmental conditions can all cause deterioration of the rubber compounds. In service this can lead to tyre failures.

Some industry experts suggest that worn out or not, a tyre may have passed its useful life after about five years, however this is not recognized in law.

A production date code is usually moulded into the tyre sidewall. Consult a reputable dealer for further advice on interpreting this code

FWIW

I got mickey thompson mud terrains in perth for my cruiser 33x12.5x15 for $370inc ea.
All terrains will be cheaper than that.

cheers

I'd be concerned running the kids around in a potential death trap...
http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars/car_advice/car_fact_sheets/tyres

Can a tyre be too old?

Car tyres can deteriorate with age. A tyre that?s been sitting in the spare wheel well for years, even though it?s never been used and has plenty of tread could be ready for retirement.

Heat, sunlight, ozone and other environmental conditions can all cause deterioration of the rubber compounds. In service this can lead to tyre failures.

Some industry experts suggest that worn out or not, a tyre may have passed its useful life after about five years, however this is not recognized in law.

A production date code is usually moulded into the tyre sidewall. Consult a reputable dealer for further advice on interpreting this code
This is something we see through our workshop on a daily basis....:eek:

It makes me shake my head just how many folk are out there driving around on bald, unroadworthy and dangerous tyres...and also with child car seats in the back.

You'd be amazed how many are driving around with;
a) a flat/extremely under-inflated spare tyre in the boot
b) no spare tyre in the boot
c) the wrong sized wheel nut spanner for their wheel nuts.
d) no jack, no wheel spanner, no RACV membership as well
e) all four tyres on the car waaay under-inflated (they can't use one of those "air thingies" at the servo, or they never check them and leave it to the mechanic who does the servicing :rolleyes:, which would be good except for;
f) car is at least 30,000km's overdue for it's last service - which means it hasn't been serviced in 40,000km's at least.

All this while having tyres on the car down to the steel belts showing.

And of course; they want to get really good, safe, high grip, 100,000km lifespan tyres, all for under $100 each and "does that include a wheel alignment?" :rolleyes:

Another thing we often see is the Nanna whose car is old, does no miles, but the tyres are perishing from UV and old age - not wearing out from use.

And finally; "It's only a trailer!" comment when they get a puncture and want to put a cheap-@rsed second hand tyre on, because the trailer is 50 years old, rusted to hell, bearings are stuffed, only gets used once or twice a year and isn't worth spending any money on....which is fine until it - or a wheel - flies off the car and kills someone, because they put crap passenger rated tyres on it and then go and load it up with 2 tonnes of sand or bricks etc. :rolleyes::eek:

We once had a lady drive in because she could hear a noise under the car, and wanted us to see what it was...all four tyres were dangerous - steel belts flapping on the road...

I said "You need 4 tyres now." (she had baby seats in the back)

She said; "I have to pay for my daughter's birthday party...I'll get them the week after next".

WTF? get a priority. The child (and her) might not make it to the party.

Guess how overdue it also was for a service?

I almost said' "You really need to have these tyres replaced right now, and if you can't afford it, you can pay me later"

But, I have done this several times already for folks who are short of cash, or broke, and have been burned - they more often than not never pay, or take over a year or more to pay - so no more.

Back