Retrenching 3 people tomorrow !!!!!

We are in a retail outlet, coming up to a busy time over the holidays. So nobody really has holidays at this time.

Yes it could have waited until after xmas but that would have been an extra $6000 in wages.

So I'm assuming it's not check-out chicks who are getting the boot?

I feel for the 3 people who lost their jobs the week before Xmas Surely it could have waited until after the New Year especially since they would maybe be on two weeks holiday between now and then anyway.

I heard a guy on the radio the other day talking about this. He said if it has to be done, it's actually better to do it a couple of weeks before Christmas. His reasoning was that over Christmas people can build up lots of CC debt, so if they are made redundant before then, they can avoid some of that.
Scott

50 employees - so what's a mere 6000$ to you? Probably a lot less than to them. I reckon you should have waited till after Christmas. Hope you give them some thought while you are having your Christmas turkey.

It's never easy.

Even when I have to terminate someone who eminently deserves it, I hate doing it. It always upsets me.

And these are casuals, who have usually not been around too long.

Though I once found an ex employee's MySpace entry (I was googling for my store) which read "It was great working for Subway Bekconnen. Nobody cared how slack I was, until I got sacked".

Well, at least it made me feel better about the deed.

Sure to be really helpful when she lists you as a referee for next job ;)

50 employees - so what's a mere 6000$ to you? Probably a lot less than to them. I reckon you should have waited till after Christmas. Hope you give them some thought while you are having your Christmas turkey.

The big picture is this;

If the business goes broke due to excessive costs ($6,000 in extra wages), then everyone is out of a job in that business for good.

Christmas is not that big a deal unless you choose it to be. It is one day in the year.

The employer has done the best thing for the rest of the employees and the business future.

These decisions are never easy as he said, but they have to be made - one of the "cons" of being the boss I'm afraid.

Not in business are you.

Come on over, I will show you the profit an loss spreadsheet.

I lost sleep before i did it.............but i will sleep like a log tonight because i have "saved" the business

Cheers

GG

Skater it is a bit like we all should drop rents for the poor tenants.:eek:
Does not matter if we go belly up in the process.
As a employee you think there is a huge vault of money to pay everything.
(But you have NO IDEA WHERE IT COMES FROM)
As a employer you need to keep that vault filled above the drainage point.
Otherwise you are on the street.
And your 3 or 30 or 300+ employees are as well:(

Having been sacked before I know what is like.:(
But as a business owner , property developer or investor at times you have to make hard decisions.

I have at times had to sack contractors, employees and property managers.

Not nice but it had to do with my own way of not being extinct.

:confused:I'm a little confused. Are you agreeing with me, or disagreeing with me.

What I meant by the comment is that if you are in Business, or have been in Business, you understand exactly what GG is trying to say & do. I wasn't agreeing with Lui at all.

my gripe for terminating people is doing it on a friday.
this causes the terminated person a weekends grief as they
cannot do anything about about their situation and just worry.

Terminate on a monday yes you will owe them an extra days pay
but at least then they can get straight into looking for new work
signing up for the dole etc.

:confused:I'm a little confused. Are you agreeing with me, or disagreeing with me.
Gee Cee was agreeing with you, skater. :) He's saying that to suggest that businesses should retain employees that they can't afford is as ridiculous as it is to suggest that landlords should drop rents.

I agree with both of you: social justice is society's job (via the government and charities), not the individual business owner's.

my gripe for terminating people is doing it on a friday.
this causes the terminated person a weekends grief as they
cannot do anything about about their situation and just worry.

Terminate on a monday yes you will owe them an extra days pay
but at least then they can get straight into looking for new work
signing up for the dole etc.

We did the "deed" on thursday. That same afternoon, i got a phone call from a similar company to ours saying " i have a resume on my desk from XYZ, what is she like"

That helped to make my day a bit better.................

GG

We did the "deed" on thursday. That same afternoon, i got a phone call from a similar company to ours saying " i have a resume on my desk from XYZ, what is she like"

That's awesome; I hope she got the job.

Gee Cee was agreeing with you, skater. :) He's saying that to suggest that businesses should retain employees that they can't afford is as ridiculous as it is to suggest that landlords should drop rents.

I agree with both of you: social justice is society's job (via the government and charities), not the individual business owner's.

Seems I'm confused all round lately. I know he was agreeing with my comment, but thought he might have misunderstood my comment to mean the opposite of what it actually did. :eek::confused:

Maybe I'm just so muddle headed in the uplead to Christmas I don't know what I'm saying myself..

GG

Ah! she's in the 10% club that girl!!

Seems I'm confused all round lately. I know he was agreeing with my comment, but thought he might have misunderstood my comment to mean the opposite of what it actually did. :eek::confused:

Maybe I'm just so muddle headed in the uplead to Christmas I don't know what I'm saying myself..

Definately agreeing with you Skater!:D Too much brandy in the Chrissy pudding making maybe? :p I took the lid off the fruits I had been marinating in brandy and the fumes nearly blew my eyes out!
He was just likening the argument to not terminate people as being the same as why we dont reduce the rents because people are struggling to pay. Actually, it is quite hard to explain the rationale which is why it is a bit confusing!

Christmas is such a weird time; most people arent religious yet it seems to blow everything else up with it. I agree with doing it a couple of weeks before Christmas, so the credit card doesnt get trashed.

Thanks Ozperp
Your review of my response to Skater was exactly how I wanted it viewed:)

Skater hope i did not offend you:eek:

Gee Cee

Greg

P.S. Must enroll to update my standard of righting:eek:
or not post after a wine:D

Back