Victim mentality?

I'd just prefer to see more enforcement of bad driving (right hand lane on expressways for no reason, not paying attention to the road through use of phone etc, drifting in and out of lanes etc) that cannot be enforced through cameras.

Cameras only target one thing and do nothing to cover the multitude of sins that can occur while driving.

I'd just prefer to see more enforcement of bad driving (right hand lane on expressways for no reason, not paying attention to the road through use of phone etc, drifting in and out of lanes etc) that cannot be enforced through cameras.

Cameras only target one thing and do nothing to cover the multitude of sins that can occur while driving.
Absolutely agree on that one.

But without unmarked cars, you'll never catch these pr!cks, because they are all on their best behavior while the "real" cop car or uniform is visible..

More unmarked cars, more plain clothed cops too for that matter.

I like the red light camera idea, and I like the idea of speed cameras - but only if they are in fair dinkum places; like outside schools etc.

And we don't know when we drive past a camera in our car and they go, "aww, 114km even 118km lets let them go as hey in 5 minutes some FOOL:mad: in Silver Magna Sports (I know you are out there and what the hell is a sports boring family car that never raced in its life say about you anyhow!!!!) will drive by at 150km and bingo. There is quota."

We don't know when we get off. Hence we assume we are busted every time.

I live opposite a Primary School, the crossing lady complained "Some cars are going too fast and don't always stop"

So for two weeks back the local copper, yes a true local, parked opposite in full view in his blue and white territory. The kids were walking faster than some of the cars. He never booked anyone and didn't even look like he had got the gun out but the fear of booking worked. Since then the bad traffic has been respectful. Why? concern for kids? is it because they now realise it is a 40km zone ( being blind to the giant flashing signs every end:rolleyes:) or because, HE could be behind that tree this time! I vote the latter.

Peter 14.7

Last edited:
Different tactics for different people.

A marked camera gets mums and dads. A covert camera or car targets your recidivist offenders.

Speed cameras detect offences. Road signage is supposed to slow people down and minimise crashes.

In QLD, speed cameras and some other devices are enforced during overtime. If the copper isn't in the camera, they'll be at home. The public isn't missing out.

Drive to what you can afford. If you can't afford a fine, or the death of an occupant in your car don't drive that way. Pretty simple.

And worry about what you can control. If old mate overtakes you at 20km/h over, just keep trucking as you were. The more they do it, the more likely they're going to get caught.

Interesting stats. The number of deaths per 10,000 cars is 10% of what it was in 1970. Quite possibly the casualty rate per km has dropped even more than that.

Lots if things have contributed to that drop- better cars, better roads, RBT, seat belts.

Speed limits would also be a factor. In the early 70s there was no speed limit at all outside built up areas.

Also the compulsory seat belts and added airbags probably mean that some who would have died survive but with brain damage, etc and some who would have been maimed get off lightly.

Back