Victim mentality?

Someone has been watching Today Tonight. Or A Current Affair. Or The Project.

Watching such programmes is, in the words of ACA/TT/TP, 'a disgrace'.

*shakes head with Tracy Grimshaw-like moral indignation*
No; this was actually on the normal 6 o'clock news.

I was at a green light yesterday waiting for two cars to turn right in front of me, on an intersection which climbed five live in two separate accidents in one week.

People seem to think that if you see the light turn amber it's ok to go through it, no matter how far away they are when it turns.

More red light cameras would both raise revenue and reduction traffic carnage.

And, a yellow light means SPEED UP to get through before it turns red! :rolleyes:

That really annoys me.

If the light turns yellow when you are at the intersection, fine to go through.

50m back? Stop. Simple. Was nearly rear ended by a soccer mum in a Prado this morning who thought going through a light that was changing from yellow to red was fine :rolleyes:

Follow the road rules and you won't have any problems.

This argument doesn't fly with me. It reminds me of 1984 - do as we say and you won't be harmed.

In any case, the police force has many competing priorities, but the main one is to catch serious criminals. Not to be the Government's tax man.

This argument doesn't fly with me. It reminds me of 1984 - do as we say and you won't be harmed.

In any case, the police force has many competing priorities, but the main one is to catch serious criminals. Not to be the Government's tax man.
Aaron, sorry pal, but you are being ridiculous...1984; now I've heard it all.

Speed limits are there for a reason - safety; for all.

Therefore, to make sure the wider community sticks to what is a sensible speed for the area and conditions, the Gubbmint has decided on X speed for various situations.

The laws were made to enforce the speed limits - to break them is to break the law. Ergo; the police have to uphold the law, so it falls to them to do that - whether they like it or not.

Fortunately for us, we don't have to waste their valuable manpower sitting in a parked car which takes photos.

My preference is that cops shouldn't have to hand out speeding fines, but often times other crimes are discovered in the process, so it has an added purpose sometimes.

What would you rather have; a mickey mouse crowd like those "security" guys at nightclubs - cause that's what you'd get - pulling over folk to hand out fines, probably untrained and unarmed, and will no doubt attract the already high level of disrespect that the public show towards the police - thus the chances of attacks etc would be higher and more serious consequences would occur.

Or; a well-trained and professional body such as the police, that have a modicum of hope of containing the situation?

Sounds like you've copped a few speeding fines and are a bit upset?

No; this was actually on the normal 6 o'clock news.

About a 1/3 of the 6 o'clock news on channels 7 and 9 is a platform for ACA/TT. Cross-promotion, gotta love it.

Anyway, if you want to save lives, determent is far more effective than punishment. Baiting people to break the rules in order to punish them seems counterproductive.

That some guy was on the 'news' complaining about a driving ticket... who cares? It's about as insightful, interesting or relevant as two teenagers discussing the contents of their navels.

I disagree Aaron, I've never had any trouble with the police on the roads. I also obey the road rules. Coincedance? you decide

About a 1/3 of the 6 o'clock news on channels 7 and 9 is a platform for ACA/TT. Cross-promotion, gotta love it.

Anyway, if you want to save lives, determent is far more effective than punishment. Baiting people to break the rules in order to punish them seems counterproductive.

That some guy was on the 'news' complaining about a driving ticket... who cares? It's about as insightful, interesting or relevant as two teenagers discussing the contents of their navels.
No worries; was calling for opinions about it all, was all.

It wasn't just some guy - it was several. The interesting thing was that every one was whining.

I don't reckon it is baiting. If we all did the right thing, there would be no need for cameras and unmarked cars.....

The difference is subtle; you can't see them, you know they might be there - "Hey; I better not speed".

As opposed to - "I can see every single camera and cop car, so I'll slow down until they bugger off".

As is the case now.

It's a sad indictment on our society when folk will only do the right thing and drive at the speed limit if they think a cop can see them, but will speed the rest of the time if they can get away with it....

Cops and cameras aren't the bad guys here - it's us.

Let's hope we all continue to keep on acting like digghedds so the Libs will have plenty of revenue coming their way come election time. ;)

Last edited:
I disagree Aaron, I've never had any trouble with the police on the roads. I also obey the road rules. Coincedance? you decide

I agree with Aaron on this too. Follow the authorities dictates and all is okay. The suggestion that if the police catch you then you must be in the wrong implies the Police are never wrong.

As a Queenslander I can state for fact this is not the case.

The Proles follow blindly- never questioning corruption.

As for speed cameras being objective:

1. When was the last time it was serviced as per Aus Design Standards?
2. Was the operator qualified to set it up?
3. Any reflective interference?
4. Any oncoming traffic interference?
5. Was road properly signed?

There is the urban Vic Police legend of a mazda Bongo van (remember them?) clocked at 700km/hr. Police decided not to prosecute on that funnily enough.

I agree with Aaron on this too. Follow the authorities dictates and all is okay. The suggestion that if the police catch you then you must be in the wrong implies the Police are never wrong.

There is the urban Vic Police legend of a mazda Bongo van (remember them?) clocked at 700km/hr. Police decided not to prosecute on that funnily enough.

He he.

Classic victim mentality.

Worry about yourself before worrying about speed camera maintenance guidelines.

Maybe stick to the speed limits - which are designed to protect lives - and all this guff you've described above, becomes moot.

Seriously.

Maybe stick to the speed limits - which are designed to protect lives - and all this guff you've described above, becomes moot.

Seriously.

^^^^Yep!!! Totally agree.^^^^

How hard is it to just do the right thing...?

And then we get castigated for calling someone a poofter or a gaybo or septic or some such rubbish but it's totally ok to speed and complain about getting caught without being pulled up for what it is, speeding, breaking the law.:rolleyes:

There may be times when people have been caught when they haven't really done anything wrong.

I don't know, but I suspect that there's an awful lot more times that people have done something wrong and not got caught.

There may be times when people have been caught when they haven't really done anything wrong.

I don't know, but I suspect that there's an awful lot more times that people have done something wrong and not got caught.

Speeding is game of roulette re the cops and your safety.

I have just read all of the above, and whilst I agree 100% some cameras and locations are a joke as to being a real deterrence, I also know this:

I was driving MELBOURNE to ALBURY for work about 4 weeks back. 3hr drive on good road - Hume Freeway 110km. Sitting around 114km I passed three marked and unmarked cars speed camera checking. No issues for me, who are they trying to catch?

Then as you do, I came up to slightly slower car and I indicated to overtake and almost got taken out by a ******** in a magna sports doing at least 150km.:eek:

He/she obviously had no care for me, not looking at who was ahead and was not going to slow for any one.

I survived but I wondered if a 20year old P Plater or Elderly Driver would have come off ok.

Then 30km up the Road guess who ? was pulled over by an unmarked Cop Car:p

For the first time ever I felt like stopping and saying to the Copper "by the way if he/she says it was one off, I will sign a stat dec. now saying BS". I didn't and also didn't get passed later by the driver. Perhaps impounded or license gone on the spot.

My point: This Trap was saving lives.

Now to where they need Traps and that is at every Construction Zone.

Having grown up in the bush and worked as Road Engineer I respect construction zone signs. Sadly they are too often not manned and never have speed traps so many people fly through, throwing stones up to their neighbours, oblivious.

Well on the same trip this happened.

Doing 110km the sign came up, WORKS AHEAD. It went to 80km and it was genuine work as they were gouging an entire lane out 300mm deep. Accordingly it slowed us to 40km as the left lane ended, merging to the single right lane only.

Despite middle of the day, very light traffic, I instinctively throw a glance back in the rear mirror to see if others realise the change, especially when we are going from 110km dual to 40km single and in doing so, I saved one if not two lives.

I saw a BMW Z4 moving way too fast, it came flying up in the left lane either totally oblivious too or ignoring the signs. I gave it a second, thinking, it must slow soon? and then realised that the merging meant we were both going to hit the single lane at the same time except me at 40km and him 110km. :eek:' Another second and I thought the ******* has slowed but is going so fast, he has decided to overtake on the left! He is that stupid!

So to save his life and my own I swerved hard into his future path, occupying both lanes!

At this point he realised, ****, I am driving delicate BMW and he (me) is driving aluminum tray with no side and he will slice into me like a can opener. :eek: Needless to say, this WOKE the fool up!

He slammed his brakes and pulled up safely. I slowly moved back to right lane, eyeballing him all the time. He stayed in the left lane looking dazzed and confused and then I saw a look that said this...."SH#T this lane IS ENDING!!! THE SIGNS DONT LIE and I am about to go over a 300MM DROP."

He swerved hard in behind me, narrowly avoiding giving the Bimmer the "suspension realignment from hell" and followed the 2km of trench, at 40km, and at a respectful distance from my tray!

At this point I was thinking he is trapped, should I stop, get out and give him a lecture in WTF!!!! where you thinking? And where are the cops when you need them?

I didn't and we cleared the zone and resumed full pace. After a while, he decided "OK the dude in the Ute is probably not the guy from Wolf Creek" and slowly overtook me. As he did I looked square at him with my best "Yes, you ARE a f********whit" glance and he never looked at me.

He simply looked dead ahead. No, "sorry mate, i was zoned out" nor a "F#$K YOU", he was simply too embarrassed to do anything.:eek:

So my point is, when idiots like these two are on the road at 110km, as much as I don't agree with getting done for 64km in a 60km zone, we need coppers, cameras, what ever.... as there are many drivers like the above.

No respect, no skills and/or no brains.

Regards Peter 14.7

school crossings

On a slightly different tack, but still related to driver's attitudes towards being caught doing the wrong thing, and only thinking of their own sphere....

Some time ago there was a discussion about school crossings and how to stop speeders going through these areas and endangering kids' lives....

I put forward the suggestion that they have speed humps on either side of the crossings for say; 30 yards, or whatever - to slow down the deehedds who pay no attention/don't care/have no brains etc.

It was also suggested the crossings all have lights. Good idea too, but; people run red lights - either on purpose or by accident, and pedestrians have this mentality that as soon as the lights turn red for the cars, the pedestrian is somehow in an armour-plated dome that protects them, and then proceed to cross without as much as a side-ways glance.

Often they have their head buried in their Ipod/mobile phone texts.

Seen it countless times....very trusting of drivers to be paying attention...and very deadly.

Speed humps?...try and zoom over one of those babies, moron.

Ya shoulda heard all the indignation replies

It was sad.

"But it's all about....me - they'll wreck my suspension, it's too costly to install, someone might get a back injury from the jolting of hitting the bumps!"

And so forth.

Last edited:

Seriously.

My last and only ticket was 20 years ago? Just because I want accountability and consistency in enforcement mechanisms the viewpoint is considered invalid?

Live in Queensland in the 80s and you would know where I'm coming from. Otherwise I expect you won't understand.

Back