Victim mentality?

Yeah, because us Vic drivers are way worse than any other Australian drivers.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]~Accidents, injuries and fatalities~189

Interesting stats. The number of deaths per 10,000 cars is 10% of what it was in 1970. Quite possibly the casualty rate per km has dropped even more than that.

Lots if things have contributed to that drop- better cars, better roads, RBT, seat belts.

Speed limits would also be a factor. In the early 70s there was no speed limit at all outside built up areas.

I was next to some cars in a right turn lane, P plater was the first car, and as usual totally engrossed in the iphone at the lights and oblivious to the world.

Right turn arrow goes green, front car still tapping away on iphone. Car behind gives a pip to let them know, front car starts honking his horn and puts his hand out the window and flips the car behind the bird, then screeches off across the intersection.

Its like he thought that it was the car behinds fault who needed abuse because he was too engrossed on facebook.

I was at a green light yesterday waiting for two cars to turn right in front of me, on an intersection which climbed five live in two separate accidents in one week.

People seem to think that if you see the light turn amber it's ok to go through it, no matter how far away they are when it turns.

More red light cameras would both raise revenue and reduction traffic carnage.

Interesting stats. The number of deaths per 10,000 cars is 10% of what it was in 1970. Quite possibly the casualty rate per km has bdropped even more than that.

Lots if things have contributed to that drop- better cars, better roads, RBT, seat belts.

Speed limits would also be a factor. In the early 70s there was no speed limit at all outside built up areas.

I can add some facts. My best friend is an ex coroner. I was lamenting to him " what is it with P Platers today. Always in accidents. Can they not drive (like we all could in our early years)?"

He replied my, and most persons, perception today young drivers are worst is a myth. There was more Accidents both pro rata and overall numbers, in the past. It was just not in the news every night.

I can add some facts. My best friend is an ex coroner. I was lamenting to him " what is it with P Platers today. Always in accidents. Can they not drive (like we all could in our early years)?"

He replied my, and most persons, perception today young drivers are worst is a myth. There was more Accidents both pro rata and overall numbers, in the past. It was just not in the news every night.

Yep, but some people of a certain mindset like to indulge in some good old fashioned inter-generational warfare. Has been going on since the Roman times so it ain't going to change :D

I also agree with your longer post earlier on.

80% of my driving is on freeways and highways. I know that I can safely sit on 114 and it not be an issue.

I got one speeding fine when I first got my license and haven't had one since.

80% of my driving is on freeways and highways. I know that I can safely sit on 114 and it not be an issue.
The tolerance can change. Canberra police changed their tolerance from 8 down to 4 some year back. Supposedly Victoria has zero tolerance.

The tolerance can change. Canberra police changed their tolerance from 8 down to 4 some year back. Supposedly Victoria has zero tolerance.

Which is ridiculous. Especially at freeway speeds.

It just shows that motorists are cash cows and little more.

Harder penalties in urban environments, softer penalties on freeways. Doing 48 in a 40 zone is a hell of a lot worse than doing 118 in a 110 zone.

Which is ridiculous. Especially at freeway speeds.

It just shows that motorists are cash cows and little more.

Harder penalties in urban environments, softer penalties on freeways. Doing 48 in a 40 zone is a hell of a lot worse than doing 118 in a 110 zone.
There's not that much advantage going that little bit faster. I generally sit just on the limits (where practicable)- there may be an error in what the car is measuring anyway.

There's not that much advantage going that little bit faster. I generally sit just on the limits (where practicable)- there may be an error in what the car is measuring anyway.

Yep, there is. In my car 117 on the speedo is 110 on a radar (tested on driving training days)

The ADRs now state that a car can over read by up to 10%. However, prior to this amendment a car could be +/- 10% of the speed indicated on the speedo. Because of this a car from the 90s that the driver is doing an indicated 80 in a 80 zone might actually be doing 86. So they would be getting a ticket in Victoria for sure.

That is what the issue with low tolerances are.

Yep, there is. In my car 117 on the speedo is 110 on a radar (tested on driving training days)

The ADRs now state that a car can over read by up to 10%. However, prior to this amendment a car could be +/- 10% of the speed indicated on the speedo. Because of this a car from the 90s that the driver is doing an indicated 80 in a 80 zone might actually be doing 86. So they would be getting a ticket in Victoria for sure.

That is what the issue with low tolerances are.

So? Still blaming others.

All that means is that you should calibrate your speedo.

Same thing would happen if you put on different tyres.

Most phones are smart phones these days with GPS apps. Get one and calibrate your speedo, or if you haven't got one, drive through a speed trap and get it calibrated. Cost vary, but it starts from around $100. :p

It's not rocket science.

I agree with many of the opinions in this thread. My thoughts on the matter are as follows:

- It is pretty sneaky to use an L-plate unmarked cop car as most people overtake L-platers simply because the driving is often erradic and unprodictable, not to mention slow starts and generally driving under the speed limit. That doesn't mean those people speed generally. Regardless, if you are caught speeding, you are caught speeding. I'd feel a bit jipped if I got caught in that way, but I was speeding, so I'd suck it up.

That said:

- Some speed limits are utterly ridiculous. Dual carriageway, straight roads with no houses on the side with a 60km/h limit???

- Speed is not the leading cause of accidents - stupid drivers are. Hoon driving, yes, but going 10km/h over the limit? No. Going 60km/h in a back street is not going to cause a 10 car pile up. Texting on the freeway and going 95km/h, different story. On that note, driving UNDER the speed limit and/or cautious driving cause a large amount of accidents as well.

And with regards to speed cameras:

- Speed cameras are almost invariably placed to maximise revenue and that revenue is not hypothecated to reducing the road toll. In other words, the money raised by speed cameras is used for other purposes. In other words, pure revenue raising.

Is 110km too slow in Freeways?

Having driven 4 weeks in France where it is legal to go 130Km I noticed the following.

The traffic is much heavier. Noting: this is a country the size of NSW but with 60M residents.

The cars are all smaller. Mid size here is Large size there.

A lot of trailers at holiday times due to small cars having small boots.

There is a clearly established and applied driver etiquette. I.e. Flash lights before overtaking. Indicate if you want someone to overtake, etc..

They don't toll inner city but toll the freeway. So if you want to go 130km, you pay every 3 hrs or so. If only 100km with villages and town, don't pay.

But their toll points are frequent and stupendously slow. Very little Etags in place. Most still pay by cash in a line up, sometimes a 10 minute wait!

So in summary of the above;

It was a LOT more exhausting. A 4 hr drive there felt worst than 12 hrs here.

WHY? Things are much faster at 130km in heavy traffic. You are constantly alert and aware for overtaking or being overtaken. Trucks travel slower, some cars travel slower. Very few speed above the 130km. Exits come up much more often.

So I think 130km should apply here but we would need the etiquette which really does make the job easier and hence safer. Considering my earlier post , would all Aussies do that? I doubt it.

Regards Peter 14.7

So? Still blaming others.

All that means is that you should calibrate your speedo.

Same thing would happen if you put on different tyres.

Most phones are smart phones these days with GPS apps. Get one and calibrate your speedo, or if you haven't got one, drive through a speed trap and get it calibrated. Cost vary, but it starts from around $100. :p

It's not rocket science.

Not blaming others at all. No points on my license, and apart from one when I first got my license, which was pure and simple me being young and stupid, have led a blameless life.

The issue is not for newer cars. The issue is that the ADRs that specify the legality of whether or not a car can actually be brought into the country are less onerous than the fines imposed.

There used to be a recognition of this 10% +/- rule, which gave drivers a 10% variation to speed before being pulled over. In order to recognise discrepancies within cars this should be brought back. That's it. It's not earth shattering. Just a simple approach based on having an equitable system.

Do you get your speedo checked every time you get new tyres? What happens when you get new tyres and then you get a speeding fine, even though you were doing the speed limit according to your speedo. You'd be a bit miffed, no?

Let me put it another way. You build a commercial building, it complies with everything that was set out in legislation at the time. Legislation changes, and you can now be fined for something which was designed to meet the BCA of the time. You haven't changed anything. But you still have to spend a lot of money to make the place compliant with new disabled access requirements. Is that fair and equitable? No. It's why there tends to be transition periods and the like, and recognition of previous compliant works not having to be upgraded unless other significant changes are being made.

It's not victim mentality. It's how the current approach to legislation in the vast majority of areas of society work. It is just cash cows, sorry, motorists, that don't get access to this in law.

Is it illegal to display an L plate if you are driving on a full license? Pretty sure it is in the UK.

If it is, then can a cop book you for something if they are breaking the law themselves at the time, or is that an urban myth?

Do you get your speedo checked every time you get new tyres? What happens when you get new tyres and then you get a speeding fine, even though you were doing the speed limit according to your speedo. You'd be a bit miffed, no?

Every time. Takes a few minutes and it's done.

You can easily tell someone who has a victim mentality. They are ones displaying the Victim Clues -

1/ Blaming

2/ Complaining &

3/ Justifying

I thought you only get caught if you break the law.... :rolleyes:
A lot of people don't though.

We've all seen the idiot dangerous driver on the road around us, and we've all either thought, or said out loud; "Where are the cops when you need them?", or (in my case) "hope they wrap themselves around a pole" and so on.

This is why they now have these sneaky and unfair unmarked cars and hidden cameras etc. ;)

Ensuring that authority get their facts right before they accuse you is not a 'victim' mentality. That is patently false.
But earlier you were saying how bad it is that we are living in a 1984 world....the road rules have hardly changed since I was a kid. A few changes to speed limits here and there, but basically the same.

Now, all of a sudden; it's Orwellian and a police state?

You are carrying on like a victim, and over-exaggerating, in my opinion. You want 1984? Move to China, or North Korea.

Simple; don't break the existing - and for the most part - long standing road rules and you don't have a problem.

I can't see why folks get upset over this, and reckon we're all being hardly done by :confused:.....

Back