• I'm a bloke. Stay up top

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • I'm a woman. Get down and experience the pain

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • I'm a woman. Stay up top.

Votes: 22 38.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm sure there is nothing more wonderful then watching your baby being born however I believe the man is there to support and comfort his partner throughout the labour.

If your partner wants you down there then great, but I think in most cases a woman would want her man up top to encourage her, hold her hand, cool here head, and let her know she's doing great. He is there to take her mind off what is happening down there.

This!

I don't think this is a decision you can make beforehand. You are there to support her and unless she chooses to hang off a midwife or bed etc, you just may not see the head crown and be born because of the position she chooses to be in.

Ewwww, I'm a gal & I wouldn't wanna see it at all!

Saw a birth on tv & it was ickky!

If my man wanted to see, too bad, I don't want him to!

All good to those who see how beautiful it is & blah blah blah, but for me, YUK!!!!

I had caesar & he said he had a quick look at my 'guts hanging out', that was enough!

Each to their own on this one!!!

I had the ex present for the first and he ran down the bottom end to watch all. Sure he would have been there for the second had I not been an inpatient and he did not make it in time.

I had a mirror, gees there I am putting in the hard work I wanted to see it all.

Watching a birth I think is the most beautiful experience.

I say do what is right on the day, at the time.

Best of luck for the impending birth for all three of you. Don't forget to keep us informed of the outcome.

Thanks for everyone's support.

I'm even more uncertain now. I've noticed that the ladies suggest staying up the top, but the blokes reckon I should pull out a camping chair, a beer and have a watch.

I was going to just put my footy boots on, put my mouth guard in, slap my face a few times and face the music. Now I know there is a bit more to it than that.

I've gone to the birthing classes thank god. Otherwise I would have thought it was one of Dan Akroyd's kids from the movie cone heads. Without the heads up that funny looking baby colour would have made me nervous too.

The misses is cool any which way I go. She reckons she'll punch me during labour, or afterwards if she can't reach me during. If I wander down to the catching position, I'll probably set up next to the wicket keeper like a greedy first slip and probably try and take the catch.

It might be a bit like catching a tenpin bowling ball though cos I'm hoping for a 10lb boy. The misses' vagina isn't.

I'm not too quezy with blood and guts and could eat an egg and lettuce sandwich while watching an autopsy. Make me clean up a piece of poo though and you'll see me gagging like I'm from the movie total recall without my breathing mask.

I'll keep you all posted with the outcome. I just feel like I'm the bloke in the scary movie who is about to open the door when the audience is telling him not to.

Either way, I’ll have never counted to ten as quick as counting the little fella’s fingers and toes. I might even shed a tear when I get to ten. 4 weeks to go. Fingers crossed for all the mum's-to-be on the forum.

You get only one chance to see your child come into the world. I was down there watching. And it was amazing! I say go and see it but each to their own. Its a personal thing with you and your wife after all.

Absolutely agree. Obviously, it is an individual decision, but I would encourage you to look. I have had three children and DH has seen all three of them be born.

BTW - there should have been an option to vote:
"I'm a woman, go down and experience the excitement" ;)

having only gone thru one very long and excrutiatingly painful labour (junior was upside down) - you will be there to hold the puke bowl, be sworn at long and vigorously, pass messages for the gas (and then the epi) to darn well hurry up, run the bath, rub, don't rub, fetch more ice cubes to suck ... rather endless list really. you won't have much time to "sit and watch". when hubby had a couple of hours break due to the epi he took a nap.

anyhow, i certainly didn't want to see what was going on, passed on the mirror and even requested that the baby been wrapped/cleaned a bit before being plonked on my chest. and if i wasn't going to watch then there was no way hubby was going to be down at the bloody end perving - besides - no room between the dr and midwife.

I'm a woman, and I reckon top... but as others have said, by the time I actually had the baby I wouldn't have cared... that said, she was hoiked out with forceps so wouldn't have been much room at the bottom.

PS. It's a long business, so you'll doubtless catch a flash of the bottom end when leaving the room to answer calls of nature, fetch stuff etc.

Love this thread

My girls are 6 & 8 and their births differed remarkable. Hubby is extremely squeamish and was at the top end for both. Managed to cut the cord for the 1st but missed out on the 2nd.

Do what feels right (and by what the missus dictates during her moans of agony :))

I'm sure your wife will just be glad you are there!

All the best at this wonderful time.

Karen

I was positioned squarely in the middle for all three of our births (no middle option in the poll:p)
Even if you are up the top, you are practically less than a foot away from the action anyway.

...do try the gas... :D

Boods

I had the ex present for the first and he ran down the bottom end to watch all. Sure he would have been there for the second had I not been an inpatient and he did not make it in time.

Although I still may talk on occasion to some of my ex girlfriends, my wife would have drawn the line at them attending the birth of our children.

Boods

If the bottom end is the angry end, what's the top end? :confused: :D

I think it's something you need to talk to your wife about. I've never seen more than television footage, but that was enough to scar me for life. :eek:

Ha Ha..Agreed, the angry end I think is topsy turvy in the original post

Its at Mums discretion I reckon (though she wont remember much afterwards) Happy Wife = Happy Life ;)

Been in the room three times..no regrets

Definitely down the business end for me. Keeping an eye on things whilst holding her hand and giving her encouraging positive thoughts was my instinctual duty. Watching your child being born is really amazing.

...do try the gas...

That also seemed like the right thing to do, and I was a bit disappointed by how mild the gas was :( I tried it during the early stages, whilst waiting for the next contraction so she wasn't using the gas... I had to take about a dozen deep breaths before I felt the tiniest bit of relaxation!

Definitely down the business end for me. Keeping an eye on things whilst holding her hand and giving her encouraging positive thoughts was my instinctual duty. Watching your child being born is really amazing.

That also seemed like the right thing to do, and I was a bit disappointed by how mild the gas was :( I tried it during the early stages, whilst waiting for the next contraction so she wasn't using the gas... I had to take about a dozen deep breaths before I felt the tiniest bit of relaxation!

I was lucky all 3 of my deliveries were 90 minutes start to finish.I didn't get a chance for any pain medication..even though I didn't think it was all that bad.
Maybe the mask is more to muffle her screams?:)

we don't use a mask in australia - it's a tube attached to a mouthpiece that you clench between your teeth ... and belive me ... i clenched so hard i broke the damn thing.

you only remove the mouthpiece between contractions to vomit and say f*** f*** f***!

we don't use a mask in australia - it's a tube attached to a mouthpiece that you clench between your teeth ... and belive me ... i clenched so hard i broke the damn thing.

you only remove the mouthpiece between contractions to vomit and say f*** f*** f***!

free free free??? :confused:

Boods

I would suggest that you go there with the idea that it is to support your wife. If you get a chance to see what is happening, fine, but if you don't, don't worry. Each delivery is different and your wife may want/need you to be beside her, holding her hand and being a punching bag. What she is experiencing is much worse than any pain she may give you on the day, so stay strong, and stay with her.

My poor hubby got punched, scratched, bitten and sworn at. :eek: I got no anaesthetic as the delivery was quick with each child, however I was induced, and apparently that speeds the delivery up and increases the pain.:(

I vaguely remember my wife blaming me and having me in a headlock at some stage.

LOL! Yeah, I blamed Hubby. Called him all sorts of names. I morphed into this violent, abusive person. Apparently I said things that he never realised I had even heard.:eek:

Funny thing is, I don't remember being as bad as he remembers me being though.:p It must have been the trauma at the time.:p

Back