• I'm a bloke. Stay up top

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • I'm a woman. Get down and experience the pain

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • I'm a woman. Stay up top.

Votes: 22 38.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was with some girlfriends last night and they were talking about childbirth. Neither of them have had kids, but we've all had it described to us in detail by others who have. They reckon it's all supposed to remain a mystery, as if people really knew what went on we'd become extinct. Thankfully I don't want kids anyway, but one of the women said she wants to adopt as she wants them but doesn't want to do the childbirth thing and all that comes after. Sounds like some things are just best left unknown. :)

my mum told me it was like having a "hard poo". more like pushing a basketball thru a hose pipe!

however - as soon as the baby is born, everything is wonderful. unless you were cut and stitched to the 'nth degree the pain instantly goes, the hormones kick in and it is all totally worth it.

if it wasn't then no one would go back for 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. even after a 26hr difficult and knife stabbing labour, i'd have gone back again - except that hubby now had 4 daughters (3 from previous marriages) and reckoned he was done.

just saw this thread.

if you're in the room, holding your wife's hand, there's only an arm's length distance between her neck and her bum - you ain't gonna miss the show even if you want to.

we've had three kids and it's just more and more amazing each time.

To the OP, I hope you and the missus have a wonderful birth, it truly is a life changing experience.

You may not be able to go down the business end (eg. c-sec, forceps) but whatever you choose, make sure its what your wife wants, she is the one doing all the hard work! She may get extremely particular about what she wants you to do.

...do try the gas... :D

Hubby wasn't allowed to try the gas at my hospital. But he got a good whiff of it when I exhaled into his face and went a bit faint...

That gas was strong stuff, I passed out from the gas, then woke up and put the wrong end of the gas tube in my mouth... midwives and hubby were laughing but were trying to keep a straight face in front of me!

But it really is all worth it in the end :)

I have seen all 5 of my kids come into this world, I have the "birth marks" on my arms to prove it.

Note: Ask your wife to cut her fingernails before the birth.

Its the best day(s) of your life, ENJOY.

GG

To the OP, I hope you and the missus have a wonderful birth, it truly is a life changing experience.

You may not be able to go down the business end (eg. c-sec, forceps) but whatever you choose, make sure its what your wife wants, she is the one doing all the hard work! She may get extremely particular about what she wants you to do.

Hubby wasn't allowed to try the gas at my hospital. But he got a good whiff of it when I exhaled into his face and went a bit faint...

That gas was strong stuff, I passed out from the gas, then woke up and put the wrong end of the gas tube in my mouth... midwives and hubby were laughing but were trying to keep a straight face in front of me!

But it really is all worth it in the end :)

I actually waited until well after the birth had finished before I tried the gas. I was sitting down in a comfy chair, and away I went! Made sure the midwife was not around though...:p
It got a little addictive! :eek:

Boods

A wise man once said... watching his child being born was like watching his favourite pub burning down.

There is also the possibility of the other kids popping out looking for the pool.

I'm going through it myself soon, and you'll see me blissfully unaware at the top end.

A wise man once said... watching his child being born was like watching his favourite pub burning down.

There is also the possibility of the other kids popping out looking for the pool.

I'm going through it myself soon, and you'll see me blissfully unaware at the top end.

and only a man who's only thought is the pub could write such a thing.

i reckon you're missing out. but hey, they're your regrets.

Watched a show where some blokes were really disgusted watching the birth of their child. They felt it changed the way they viewed their partner 'down there'.

Many said it was the most amazing thing they'd even done/seen in their lives & they loved their partner more because of it.

I guess as long as you can differentiate between the 2 'functions' 'down there', I't be a hoot to watch your child coming into the world :)

Last edited:
It doesn't have to be one or the other. Halfway is a great choice, and it's still close enough to hold your wife's hand.

I saw my 3 younger sisters get born. All but one of my many siblings were born at home with the whole clan watching.

I say that you should go with the flow depending upon what happens on the day... there isn't alot you can plan prior to the birth, apart from general ideas. But you need to be flexible on the day depending on how things progress, and how your wife is feeling/ coping.

I think my hubby was down the "angry end" for both births and took photos of both births... don't know if thats a good idea or not. I certainly nearly threw up in the store when I picked up the photos of my second child's birth and had a look. Don't know how the poor shop-keepers would have felt!

Good luck with the birth. But it really is only a tiny part of parenthood, so don't forget to focus on how you will raise the baby. I think lots of people get caught up in the birth and don't think enough about parenthood as a whole.

Pen

Good luck with the birth. But it really is only a tiny part of parenthood, so don't forget to focus on how you will raise the baby. I think lots of people get caught up in the birth and don't think enough about parenthood as a whole.

I was supposed to go get some parenting flick from the video store but came back with Once Were Warriors instead. The misses reckons that the movie is not widely recognised for effective parenting.

Watched a show where some blokes were really disgusted watching the birth of their child. They felt it changed the way they viewed their partner 'down there'.

These would be the same type of fathers that like to spend all day with their mates at the pub, whilst everyone's kids are either with mum or the grandparents, instead of one or more mates and their families being together at a park or whatever.

Many said it was the most amazing thing they'd even done/seen in their lives & they loved their partner more because of it.

Definitely.

I guess as long as you can differentiate between the 2 'functions' 'down there', I't be a hoot to watch your child coming into the world :)

There are more than just 2 functions, some girls can even shoot ping pong balls across the room from down there!

It doesn't have to be one or the other. Halfway is a great choice, and it's still close enough to hold your wife's hand.

Exactly! Not that I was stationed smack bang in the middle the whole time, I did a little bit of wondering, but it's too easy to keep a hold of the wife's hand the whole time. I don't think it's the right time to be sitting on a couch a meter or so away, beer in hand, watching the show!

I saw my 3 younger sisters get born. All but one of my many siblings were born at home with the whole clan watching.

Do you mean having the family waiting around in the other room or something like that? Even that's a bit much for me, I think it's nice for the parents to have some alone time with their newborn, visitors can come after an hour or so. Our boy was born at night, made some nice sounds, had some yummy fresh milk, looked around a little, and went to sleep. (Life should be that easy, and it's my retirement plan) Our friends and family visited from the next day, which was perfect for us.

Do you mean having the family waiting around in the other room or something like that?

No, I mean having the entire family standing right in the room taking front-row seats. We all (us older kids) watched our younger siblings actually being born. By 'family' I mean parents and siblings, not aunts, uncles and cousins! That'd be weird :)

Haven't read this whole thread, getting close to bed time as it is...

Go with the flow, my husband saw all sorts with 2x c sections and 2 amazing babies. Both a lil scarey with necks wrapped in cords etc but such a high when you hear that first cry! The photos show the tears in the eyes of all participants.

Be prepared for the baby blues and those nasty night nurses, that's where you'll need your strength.

Also have a think about bringing some nice food to the hospital. When mum is worn out and starting to care for a newborn, hospital food really doesn't cut it.

i went private hospital and thought the food was great - just tick a box and it arrives, then when your finished the dirty plates just disappear.

the food was terrible when i went home - tired and hormonal - and actually having to make a decision about making something to eat.

Back