Silly things drivers do!

Whenever you go to Italy, Germany or even Greece of all places, you see exceptionally good road manners on their motorways/freeways. Very little tailgating goes on, slower cars make way for faster cars, merging skills etc are much better. Traffic flows very well considering the amount of traffic.

Complete contrast to here where some idiots in the RH lane think they have a right to hold up all other traffic, simply because they are sitting on the limit.

answer is simple - don't sit in a far right lane, it's only for overtaking
then nobody will tailgate you :)

especially if you are one of those people who drive 80 in 100 zone because they think it's a "safe" speed

Bullcrap. :) I am a car L plater (for 12years now :D ), and get tailgated constantly because I am following the speed limit. Not having my full car liscence I am very aware of the road rules and would not beleive anyone who claimed to follow them all the time.

I HATE tailgaters with a passion. It is unsafe and unnessecary, it will not make me go any faster. The worst instance was actually when I was riding my motorbike (full liscence) and an idiot in a 4wd decided that I was going too slow because I was doing the speed limit, they were right up my butt and nearly ran me over when I stopped for a red light. :mad: Not a nice experience. It was a doble lane, I was on the left and there was not much other traffic. The morons should have just overtaken me instead of tailgating.

Oh and in a car, as an L plater I am not allowed to travel any faster then 80k - doesn't matter if it is 120k limit.

Oh and in a car, as an L plater I am not allowed to travel any faster then 80k - doesn't matter if it is 120k limit.

Firstly, how have you managed to be an L plater for 12 years?!?!

I'm not allowed to travel faster than 100km, and i constantly have L platers overtaking me!

Firstly, how have you managed to be an L plater for 12 years?!?!

I'm not allowed to travel faster than 100km, and i constantly have L platers overtaking me!

Well I first got my L's when I was 16, as you do, and then I have gone and renewed them each time they expire - but have never bothered sitting a test to get my P's. That is this my goal for 2010. It was never really an issue for me because I always have my motorbike liscence and would get anywhere I wanted with that, or I would be with DH (we got together when I was 16) and he would drive. It has only been since having kids it has been inconvienient, but public transport and my own two feet seem to be a reasonable substitute.

More likely it will be because they can't see around you. I can't stand following 4x4s for that reason. You can't see what's in front, so you can't see what you will need to brake for etc. But yeah, I can see why it's annoying them going around!

Not so much them going around but the dangerous way in which it's done.

Drove back to South Coast NSW from Melbourne yesterday - moved off the road if we had more than one or two cars behind us (as soon as possible), went slowly when there were over taking lanes to try and get all traffic past us etc. However still had many (seriously many) cars over taking us on double lines, or blind corners - scary for both us and cars coming the other way.

Seems that many people are just in one massive hurry with little care for anyone else.

Yesterday I drove from Melb to Sydney. The biggest grip was people who overtake you ( I am on 110 or 112km) and then pull over in front and go slower. Why bother to overtake?

Also they overtake and cut in like 5m ahead when travelling 110km/hr. No reaction time. I horn them and flash lights but they dont seem to understand.

Fools, Peter

PS Why dont Police, police road works. I slow down to 80km and every other car flys by. Like, why bother to put the signs if you dont enforce them? How hard is it to fit a fixed camera?

Well I first got my L's when I was 16, as you do, and then I have gone and renewed them each time they expire - but have never bothered sitting a test to get my P's. That is this my goal for 2010. It was never really an issue for me because I always have my motorbike liscence and would get anywhere I wanted with that, or I would be with DH (we got together when I was 16) and he would drive. It has only been since having kids it has been inconvienient, but public transport and my own two feet seem to be a reasonable substitute.

Wow! I couldn't function without my license!

But at least you have you motorbike license so it's not so bad. Before i got my Ps i hardly ever got lifts anywhere, i was very fit from walking 2 hours to friends places and back every other day, but after i got my Ps i don't go anywhere unless i can drive almost.

When i spent two weeks in Melbourne job hunting i almost died! I was walking everywhere in high heels!

then you shouldn't be driving on single lane roads with speed limit of more than you are allowed to. there are plenty of roads around, pick the one with the right limit. simple as that.

then you shouldn't be driving on single lane roads with speed limit of more than you are allowed to. there are plenty of roads around, pick the one with the right limit. simple as that.

How is anyone meant to learn if they don't drive, i drove on the way to queensland on single lane roads at 100km when it was 110km.

And i'm going to be driving at 100km on my way to Melbourne too.

At least we're doing our limit and not putting your life in danger.......

How is anyone meant to learn if they don't drive, i drove on the way to queensland on single lane roads at 100km when it was 110km.

And i'm going to be driving at 100km on my way to Melbourne too.

At least we're doing our limit and not putting your life in danger.......
simple
if they are limited at 80km/h they should learn to drive on roads with a speed limit of 80km/h, and not create a hazard for the rest of drivers.

you are in fact putting yours and other people lives in danger by driving slowly and driving on a road you have no skills to drive on.

in my opinion, learners and first year p-platers should be banned from roads with speed limit higher than 80 until such time they actually have the necessary experience.

simple
if they are limited at 80km/h they should learn to drive on roads with a speed limit of 80km/h, and not create a hazard for the rest of drivers.

you are in fact putting yours and other people lives in danger by driving slowly and driving on a road you have no skills to drive on.

in my opinion, learners and first year p-platers should be banned from roads with speed limit higher than 80 until such time they actually have the necessary experience.

Yes people going slow annoys me, but i don't go crazy at L platers, that was me.

Personally i think that a limited speed for L platers is fair enough, but increasing by 10km once you're on your Ps is pointless.

And i'm exempt from this, i'm on my second year P plates. :D

simple

I disagree with you.

I HATE slow drivers, but am patient with learners that are doing the right thing. We all have to learn.

What I really hate are the ones (on full license) who crawl around at 40 or even less on back streets. I get at least one of these every day. Where I live, there is just no way to go past them either. These people don't know how to use a roundabout either and will sit there if a single car is seen in the distance. Aaaarrrrggghhhh!!!!!!!

:rolleyes: Not quite that easy. The road outside my house that I need to drive on to get anywhere is 100k, it is single lane for alot of it. Do I just magically fly over this and continue my journey from the 80k stretch. In Canberra many of the roads alternate between 100 and 60k and then back again (without much sense or reason that can be discerned by the average person) going from one lane, to two or three lane and then back again: there often aren't any other alternative routes to take to get where you are going.

To me it would make more sense if all the other drivers simply followed the road rules. Novel idea, hey? Oh and while they are at it the could take a look at those yellow L plates and understand that the driver is only learning and very likely doesn't have the experience or ability to react quickly if something does happen. ;)

Are you serious or just mindblowingly insane? And how do you expect them to get the experience when they can only go over 80 in a dual-controlled vehicle with a registered instructor in it - at $50 per hour.

What if you live in the country and every single freakin road you need to travel on to get ANYWHERE - is more than an 80 or 100 limit? You expect P platers to just stay home and never drive at all for 2 years and then let them loose on the roads at 110 with a 2 year gap between getting their Ps and being able to drive anywhere? It is crazy enough that P2 drivers are limited to 100 but don't display plates so the idiotic tailgaters don't know why you're driving slower than they want you to.

I was driven to the hospital in labour by a L plater. 100m of 60 zone from our house to the 110 zone, then 35km of 110 zone, then 500m of 80 and 60 zones to the hospital. He wouldn't have been able to get to the hospital at all if learners/P platers had a limit like that. Even driving to a hospital at 80 is faster than waiting for an ambulance to come from a decent distance away.

I'm all for having the P plate limit raised to 110 just to stop the rage issues with full-license people tailgating the slow P plater doing 100 on the highway.

Are you serious or just mindblowingly insane? And how do you expect them to get the experience when they can only go over 80 in a dual-controlled vehicle with a registered instructor in it - at $50 per hour.

dead serious
what experience are you talking about? if they cannot go over 80 then they cannot go over 80, they won't get any extra experience without breaking the rules anyway. so they might as well drive on roads with speed limit of 80.

country is a bit different as it has much less traffic.

Like I said, if you limit people in the country to only travelling on roads under 80 they literally won't be able to drive for the bulk of their learning period - which is over 2 years. You need to let people out on the road regardless of the limit so they can get experience, or they'll just be forced to sit at home and get other people to drive them everywhere, which defeats the purpose of getting a license in the first place.

Its bad enough you have to get 50 hours of useless driving experience as is, which for us involved travelling at 80 for 50 hours down straight roads with no traffic in perfect clear dry conditions. Total waste of time and petrol. There was no obligation whatsoever to do any slow-speed driving, just a pure and simple obligation to do 50 hours. My partner has had his license for a while now and is still really bad at slow-speed driving (ie, under 80), especially in traffic, because he has had no opportunity to *get* that experience.

Speed is not the issue. Experience is.

Like I said, if you limit people in the country to only travelling on roads under 80 they literally won't be able to drive for the bulk of their learning period - which is over 2 years. You need to let people out on the road regardless of the limit so they can get experience, or they'll just be forced to sit at home and get other people to drive them everywhere, which defeats the purpose of getting a license in the first place.

Its bad enough you have to get 50 hours of useless driving experience as is, which for us involved travelling at 80 for 50 hours down straight roads with no traffic in perfect clear dry conditions. Total waste of time and petrol. There was no obligation whatsoever to do any slow-speed driving, just a pure and simple obligation to do 50 hours. My partner has had his license for a while now and is still really bad at slow-speed driving (ie, under 80), especially in traffic, because he has had no opportunity to *get* that experience.

Speed is not the issue. Experience is.

personally, i have no problem with learners doing 110 where speed limits allow

i do have a problem with anyone driving slower than traffic

so they either need to get rid of limitations, or get rid of learners on high speed roads with high traffic volumes

dead serious
what experience are you talking about? if they cannot go over 80 then they cannot go over 80, they won't get any extra experience without breaking the rules anyway. so they might as well drive on roads with speed limit of 80.

country is a bit different as it has much less traffic.

That's waht it was like when I ws on my L's... Not allowed on the freeway.

once on P's though, limit was 82kph... freeway was 90. P Platers were allowes on the freeway.

They've been changing the rules a lot since then.

Guess they aren't perfect yet

i'm not sure what it is in QLD now, but when i was on my L and P's there were no restrictions on anything. so i could drive a high powered sports car on my P's and travel at normal speeds

i probably did about 20k kms of driving on my L's because I couldn't be bothered going through driving test and it was only a 30 bucks fine back then for driving unsupervised

Back