Smokos at work!!

Why don't employers ever sit down with the employees and get this type of feedback ??

who said they don't?

it depends on the employer, and even more so on the position you have in a company

i know our call center people are virtually slaves, but we get to enjoy high degree of flexibility, and can go to the pub and have a beer or two at lunchtime

If they do, sit down with emplyees to get the ffedback and then implement systems that take that into account, and it doesn't work... one would assume they didn't do it very well

LOL! Same here. I worked for Yellow Pages for a while. Same story, the more calls you answered and the quicker you were on the phone, the more bonuses you got.

My first job in IT was as a helpdesk worker to federal government customers. Because of the whole outsourcing money grab, not only did we have performance bonuses that did not align with reality, our management didn't give a toss because the company got paid by fed govt based on the same numbers.

One of our number one stats was FOFC (fixed on first call). It's a measure of how many issues were fixed on the first call to the helpdesk. It works like this - let's say person A (Jon) got a call from a customer and believed with all sincerity (hah!) that it was fixed, he could tick "FOFC" and get the good stats.

Now if this customer called back and got person B (Me), I couldn't take that stat as they had already called once, even if I resolved the problem.

So person A devised a brilliant scheme. The majority of computer problems experienced by public servants are fixed with a reboot, as many would know. A good helpdesker seldom asks someone to do that straight up as it's very disruptive and some digging around can often find the root cause and fix the problem, not the symptom.

Person A would answer every call with a warm greeting, check that this was the first call the customer had made, tell them to reboot (regardless of problem), hang up and tick the box.

40% of the time the customer would never call back. The other 60%, they would, and person B would deal with irate caller and fix the problem.

Person A was hailed as a hero, and person B was tormented by the pain of thousands of public servants. Life sucks sometimes!

Heard a story about a telephone company call centre where, if customers were too stroppy, the worker would put them through to 'someone who can help you'.....this happened to be the Lifeline counselling service.

My bro in law came over from UK recently and was shopping around for broadband connections. He phoned one company and spoke to a call centre guy for roughly 45mins + to go through everything. The usual, had to wait ages before he could get through. Then he called another broadband provider for comparison and this new person on the phone said "hey I just spoke to you" my bil was well confused eventhough he could recognised his voice. The guy said I'm glad you called this other company, it's better than the other one, I work for both but couldn't tell you about this deal coz you called through for the other company!!!

Could have save time with all that waiting on the phone.

im fuming :mad:

My team leader has been fudging the books so that he can take 1 rdo off every 2 weeks. Also he has 1 sick day a fortnight too.

My co-worker and I asked him what his secret is and he said he is up 14 hours and that he works from 7am till 4.30pm every day, which is just total b***** he works from 7.30 till 3.30 each day and some days only till 3pm. His boss has often commented whilst he is in the room that he has turned into a part time worker, and also said "whos time sheet are you using so that you have so much time up". He knows what he is up to but lets him get away with it. Every one else is pissed off. We would like to have an rdo too but have to put in the long hours to do it.

Why do they let this p**** get away with this!!

:mad:

He should be working job share or part time hours, he clearly cant cope with a full 5 day week. He also some times has a few days sick leave off in a row too. Just a few weeks ago he had 5 days off in a row and still managed to build up enough time for an rdo the following week wtf

sounds like he should be replacing kerbs or other manual labour that requires no labour component except standing around, leaning on a shovel staring at the kerb hoping it will change for him.

i had worked for twelve months as a cleaner at a TAFE college as fill in job in the early 80's..

started at 6am...turned up, signed on, walked out the door to the local snack bar, purchased the morning paper, chocolate milk and a sausage roll, walked back to the college, hid in the storeroom with the radio on, read the paper and ate breakfast till 8 am...grabbed a broom and a rubbish bin and walked around till 9 am then signed off..............repeated this procedure at signon again at 4pm in the arvo...........

...nearly drove me insane.....absolutely nothing to do..i was ordered by the manager to do nothing but look busy or stay out of sight....so i complied..........after a year i walked out and never went back...the boredom got to me....the money was crap but mind you i did about an hrs actual work a week.

lucky i had a 2nd job working at a pub every night or i would have ended up in the luney farm....

i couldnt stand a job like that ever again....

i had worked for twelve months as a cleaner at a TAFE college as fill in job in the early 80's..

started at 6am...turned up, signed on, walked out the door to the local snack bar, purchased the morning paper, chocolate milk and a sausage roll, walked back to the college, hid in the storeroom with the radio on, read the paper and ate breakfast till 8 am...grabbed a broom and a rubbish bin and walked around till 9 am then signed off..............repeated this procedure at signon again at 4pm in the arvo...........

Fast forward 20 years and the storeroom becomes your office complete with laptop and comfortable chair chatting on SS :D.

What do you do now ;)?

im fuming :mad:
Why do they let this p**** get away with this!!

:mad:

He should be working job share or part time hours, he clearly cant cope with a full 5 day week. He also some times has a few days sick leave off in a row too. Just a few weeks ago he had 5 days off in a row and still managed to build up enough time for an rdo the following week wtf
It shows that it's not what you know, or how hard you work, it's who you know. Not sure how to tell my children work is unfair & it sucks though.

Fast forward 20 years and the storeroom becomes your office complete with laptop and comfortable chair chatting on SS :D.

What do you do now ;)?

Ha...Now i have my own warehouse and export business I can do as i please during the day..my real work starts around 11pm each night when the US comes alive.......Nap time shortly though! :)

ive retired twice before...kept getting bored...ill keep going till they put me in a pine box or i go senile....prob senile will do the trick....:) half way there today after trading currencies all morning....bed time 4 me now...

Back