Some nice Supply Side numbers and charts

Shadow,
You mention you emigrated from Ireland. Can you show us a graph of what is happening to house prices in Ireland right now ? Perhaps this can help us understand what is happening here today. I understand that Ireland house prices have declined 40% in one year and they are expecting it ill eventually crack 60%. I would love to see a graph of it.

Sure, no problem! Irish house prices quadrupled in the same 10 years that prices in Australia only doubled (see below). They have since fallen about 10% from the peak. Not sure where you are getting your 40% figure from but it's way off the mark!

GlobalBooms.jpg

SydneyUnitsResidexSep08.jpg

Year ending is misleading. The December 07 quarter was a relative buying frenzy. What are the sales volumes since then? Or in the September quarter this year? That would be more accurate.

Sure, here you go...

Sep 2008 quarter: Sales (houses) ... 10527
Sep 2008 quarter: Sales (units) ...... 9983

All looking good!

On your graph, people aren't returning to NSW - fewer are leaving. That's not indicative of positive interstate migration.

Who said it was?

Sure, no problem! Irish house prices quadrupled in the same 10 years that prices in Australia only doubled (see below). They have since fallen about 10% from the peak. Not sure where you are getting your 40% figure from but it's way off the mark!
]

I think you'll find the 40% is a prediction of drop from the peak (early '07)over the short term.

Here's something more up-to-datey than Shadow's stuff but still 6 months old

CO-IEP-F00.gif

Sure, here you go...

Sep 2008 quarter: Sales (houses) ... 10527
Sep 2008 quarter: Sales (units) ...... 9983

All looking good!

Other crappy data? :rolleyes:
the real data trader look at (like me :D) is the housing finance from ABS. Last one was released a couple of weeks ago for september figure. The main and more important data is "Owner occupied housing" that come up in the news and at attention of investor and traders. It has been pretty bad in the last few months (-2.7% in sept, -2.1%, -0.9%%, -3.7%, -6.9% in the previous months).
Anyway, looking at the ABS data can you see the undersupply or the oversupply?

'nuff said.

Clarify one thing then. Have you now backed away from your earlier position, that supply was constrained? You seem to have moved on to 'tight credit has temporarily crimped demand'. Do you believe these two positions show a consistent state of mind, or have you dismissed the earlier position? :)

Other crappy data? :rolleyes:
the real data trader look at (like me :D) is the housing finance from ABS. Last one was released a couple of weeks ago for september figure. The main and more important data is "Owner occupied housing" that come up in the news and at attention of investor and traders. It has been pretty bad in the last few months (-2.7% in sept, -2.1%, -0.9%%, -3.7%, -6.9% in the previous months).
Anyway, looking at the ABS data can you see the undersupply or the oversupply?

That's not Sydney. My stats are for Sydney - you know, the city that didn't boom for the past five years... :) Sorry if I am not a real data trader like you. :rolleyes:

Oh so it's a prediction now, where before it was a fact. I see, more Steve Keen?

Straw man (in future and to save time, will simply type SM)

You are seriously overstating rainbow's observation....
Shadow,
You mention you emigrated from Ireland. Can you show us a graph of what is happening to house prices in Ireland right now ? Perhaps this can help us understand what is happening here today. I understand that Ireland house prices have declined 40% in one year and they are expecting it ill eventually crack 60%. I would love to see a graph of it.

I was attempting to put the number in context as I was curious, did a quick search and found it an Irish newspaper article.

Just like I said - 10% down after a 4x rise. Terrible stuff, huge crash. :rolleyes:

Tell that to the Irish...who are still there.

These data are for Sydney? If so, that's a 30% drop on the September quarter last year.

*sigh*

Um... no... no its not. You are simply wrong (again). :rolleyes:

Do you just like to make stuff up for fun?

You see, the difference between you and me is that I have data and statistics to back up my position. You have rumour, fabrication, wild accusations, and nonsense you heard on cphg.

SydneyStats2008Q3.jpg

Shadow.

*sigh*

Um... no... no its not. You are simply wrong (again). :rolleyes:

Do you just like to make stuff up for fun?

You see, the difference between you and me is that I have data and statistics to back up my position. You have rumour, fabrication, wild accusations, and nonsense you heard on cphg.

SydneyStats2008Q3.jpg

Shadow.
Where is your data from? I am looking at official data.

Clarify one thing then. Have you now backed away from your earlier position, that supply was constrained? You seem to have moved on to 'tight credit has temporarily crimped demand'. Do you believe these two positions show a consistent state of mind, or have you dismissed the earlier position? :)
No, I haven't changed my position at all. Why would I? Everything I've said stands up to scrutiny and I'm not the only one saying it:

http://business.smh.com.au/business/housing-heads-for-a-soft-landing-20081125-6hf0.html

I love how you keep attacking the individual and not the argument. I pointed out this ploy, yet it doesn't stop you. I love how you're now perpetuating these attacks on your favourite forum that we're not allowed to mention here. But, for what its worth, I'm sure you're aware that attacking the individual in no way diminishes their argument.

Sorry, you're still wrong, but I guess your burgeoning awareness of this is what is driving the acidic attacks.

Go home!

Michael

The problem with Gittins article is he is restating the same reasons used at the peak of both the UK and US markets. It is a rubbish argument to use.

There was certainly no overbuilding in the UK.

The problem with Gittins article is he is restating the same reasons used at the peak of both the UK and US markets. It is a rubbish argument to use.
Not really. He mentions the difference between the full recourse and non recourse loans in Australia vs the USA for example. There are quite a few differences between the compared markets, not just the supply dynamics which was the focus of this thread.

Cheers,
Michael

Not really. He mentions the difference between the full recourse and non recourse loans in Australia vs the USA for example. There are quite a few differences between the compared markets, not just the supply dynamics which was the focus of this thread.

Cheers,
Michael

There is the full recourse nature of NZ and UK markets as well. Meanwhile, many markets in the US are full recourse. New York state for one - while New York city has fallen around 7% over the year. There is no overbuilding there, full recourse mortgages, and similar to Sydney, heavily dependent on its financial and services sector.

There is the full recourse nature of NZ and UK markets as well. Meanwhile, many markets in the US are full recourse. New York state for one - while New York city has fallen around 7% over the year. There is no overbuilding there, full recourse mortgages, and similar to Sydney, heavily dependent on its financial and services sector.

Possibly off topic a bit but hows the US average wage in wage years compare to price of average New York CBD appartments?

How does that compare to Australia?

Dave

Possibly off topic a bit but hows the US average wage in wage years compare to price of average New York CBD appartments?

How does that compare to Australia?

Dave
I think price to income is around 8. Saw this in NAR or OFHEO stats, but will have to check. The long term level is around 5-6 times income

Considering the size, wealth and population of the city, the ratio should be higher than in cities of Australia.

I think price to income is around 8. Saw this in NAR or OFHEO stats, but will have to check. The long term level is around 5-6 times income

Considering the size, wealth and population of the city, the ratio should be higher than in cities of Australia.

According to this site in 2006 it was $42,000 so about $45k now??
http://www.ofm.wa.gov/trends/tables/fig102.asp

This site says

According to the report, the average sale price of a New York City home jumped 28% to $853,000 in the first quarter of 2008, compared with $669,000 in the first quarter a year ago. The increase was primarily due to surging sales in Manhattan apartments (condominiums and cooperatives), where the average price climbed 41% to a record $1.6 million, compared with $1.1 million in the first quarter of 2007.

I take it Manhattan appartments would be CBD, so they would be 35 times average US wage.

Average NY home works out at 19 times average US wage

According to the information provided

Dave

Hi

Not baiting but why should a ratio be higher in one city or another (excepting perhaps for natural and man made amenities that may be valued by the community). Surely the whole argument of the D & G crowd has been, ad nauseum, that the average property price can't exceed the capacity of its average population to pay? This is why I find these ratios almost useless as it seems that it "depends" upon the population's willingness and capacity to pay rather than some arbitrary ratio.

I'd be interested why a ratio of 8 is acceptable in one country but 5 is unacceptable in another? Just seems contradictory to me. :confused:

Cheers

Shane

Back