Some "perspectives" are worth sharing!*

A young lady confidently walked around the room while leading and explaining stress management to an audience; with a raised glass of water, and everyone knew she was going to ask the ultimate question, 'half empty or half full?'..... she fooled them all... "How heavy is this glass of water?", she inquired with a smile.

Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz.

She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, that's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my right arm. If I hold it for a day, you'll have to call an ambulance. In each case it's the same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes." She continued, "and that's the way it is with stress. If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later, as the burden becomes increasingly heavy, we won't be able to carry on."

"As with the glass of water, you have to put it down for a while and rest before holding it again.* When we're refreshed, we can carry on with the burden - holding stress longer and better each time practiced. So, as early in the evening as you can, put all your burdens down. Don't carry them through the evening and into the night... pick them up tomorrow.

Whatever burdens you're carrying now, let them down for a moment. Relax, pick them up later after you've rested. Life is short. Enjoy it and the now 'supposed' stress that you've conquered!"

1 * Accept the fact that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue!

2 * Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

3 * Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.

4 * Drive carefully... It's not only cars that can be recalled by their Maker..

5 * If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

6 * If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it..

Cheers,
Oracle.

Good perspective

I used to stress so much - sleep deprivation from my job didn't help. Last few years, I figured it's all the same. Might as well chillax.

When I feel stressed about something, I need to have Plan A,B & C on how I will deal with it. After that, I feel much better.

Great thread.

"How heavy is this glass of water?", she inquired with a smile.

She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter".

Typical of her :D

Loaded Question, you were doomed to get it wrong...just like "does my .... look big in this, tell me the truth?" ;)

As I have got older/absorbed the attitude of my partner/was told by a friend, I realised I "catastrophise" .I always have to have a plan B, but always went to the worst possible last ditch catastrophic situation. Now I just realise, everything can be fixed, it might take money, it might take time, but it can be fixed. (Except not talking to my sister for ten years, that will never be fixed)

I think these are far better:

1 * Accept the fact that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue!

Accept nothing, challenge everything. Be what you want to be, do what you want to do, or die trying!

2 * Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

Unless someone is trying to make you live your life by their meaningless standards

3 * Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.

Why would I give a rats what anyone thinks after I'm dead?
Oh you mean you could be embarrassed by what I read, therefore I should not read it. Bullocks!

4 * Drive carefully... It's not only cars that can be recalled by their Maker..

Parents will not call you, and if you don't make it out alive you won't be calling them either.

5 * If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

Dishonesty must be the best policy then. Very much practiced by those who like to call them selves religious

6 * If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it..

No, they were never worth a cent.
Have a nice day :cool:

"The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, that's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my right arm. If I hold it for a day, you'll have to call an ambulance.
What rot. It isn't the glass that's heavy, it's her arm. If she chose to hold it tucked in close to her belly, her stamina would be the limiting factor, not the weight.

Back