Somersoft Spreadsheet Collection

blw101
thanks for sharing
cheers

No problem Bill, now I just need a few more purchases to make the effort worthwhile!:cool:

@Natale, at least I did warn you! If you dig back through the early posts there is some fantastic stuff that's a bit simpler.

Cheers.

Hi All,

Shamelessly:p copied from the second post in this thread back in 2006, a couple of years and many tweaks later is my version of the IP Calcualtor/Bible attached. Lets multiple properties be consolidated, also showing tax implications.

That is a fantastic effort blw101! I really think you have made some great improvements.

I have a question on your IRR calculation on the "Portfolio" tab. I'm really trying to get my head around IRR and interested in the many approaches people take.

When calculating the Equity IRR for 5yrs, why do you subtract the Deposit from the Total Equity (cell H121) yet include it as part of the IRR calculation in cell B121?

Thanks!

Thank you for this spreadsheet. This is closer to the type of spreadsheet I was looking for. Something that allows me to analyse a property on its own as well as part of a complete portfolio.

One question - If I only have one income, how do I use the spreadsheet. I tried putting $0 or $1 in the Income B field and that then starts throwing #VALUE and #N/A errors everywhere. It seems the minimum amount I need to enter in Income B is $10,915.

Cheers,
MrHyde

Hi All,

First, bloody good thread this. Somersoft is such a good resource so I thought I'd try and give my little bit back.

Shamelessly:p copied from the second post in this thread back in 2006, a couple of years and many tweaks later is my version of the IP Calcualtor/Bible attached. Lets multiple properties be consolidated, also showing tax implications.

An early warning, it is pretty complex, but quite comprehensive.

First sheet (Portfolio) is where consolidation occurs, and also shows cashflows, including any tax implications based on wage income (assuming you hold properties in your own name).

Second sheet (PropList) is a simple property summary to update every now and then.

Third Sheet (PPOR) is where you can enter all details for your PPOR. PPOR must go here as costs are excluded from tax calcs. Living expenses are also put in here.

Each sheet between Prop> and <Prop represent each IP you hold (or are planning on purchasing). These are what get consolidated on the first sheet.

Sheets between DD> and <DD are extra sheets for properties you are looking at (or are in due diligence)

The trick is to setup an IP between the DD sheets to see how it performs in its own right. Once it is setup, drag the whole sheet across so it sits between the Prop> and <prop then look at the Portfolio sheet to see the effect your new IP would have on your portfolio.

Stamp duty rates are for NSW, but there are tables that can be changed on each individual IP sheet. Current income tax scales are on the Portfolio sheet.

There's a (crude) commercial property sheet setup as well which calculates future value based on income and cap rates for those commercial folk. (I'll stress it's crude, but does the job somewhat)

Hmm, what else...oh of course, only enter information in coloured cells, everything else is a calculation. (You'll see what I mean)

Enjoy.:D

* Disclaimer - this should not be used as professional advice. It is also being posted with the intention of helping all somersoft members who have provided me with so much information, so copy it and give it to other people, but dont go trying to sell it to anyone.:p

@ Mr Hyde

Good pickup. Set the second salary to $1 and then change the salary allocation (Cell B 79) to 100%.

@ Paisley, well, I think that's just a plain old mistake there, missed it as the deposit amount was small and didnt really affect the return.
Might just have to remove the deposit from the calcs in H121, M122 and R123.

Hope this helps.

Great spreadsheet blw101... i'm just trying to get my head around it all. So once the IP 1 sheet is completed, you go back to the Portfolio sheet to see the results... which cell gives you the final after tax cashflow? Is it cell C103 ?

The ppor sheet has thrown me off a little, do the ppor figures influence the IP cashflow calculations?

I'm assuming C103/12 is the after tax monthly cost of IP 1?

Hi Sluggo,

Let's see if this explanation cuts it:

In the portfolio sheet.
Line 103 is cashflow you have left after all salary, investment, tax, ppor and living expenses have been deducted.

If you just want to see your after tax investment cashflow, take the sum of lines 99 and 100 (and yes divide by 12 if you wish to get a monthly number).

PPOR.
The PPOR figures don't affect the investment cashflows in the portfolio sheet. The entire contents of the PPOR are summarised in "Portfolio" in lines 101 and 102.
What the PPOR information DOES do is affect the LVR calculations in lines 24-32, which of course is crucial for your next purchase.
It's also handy to have there if you eventually convert your current PPOR into an investment property.

Cheers,
BLW

Just wondering if anyone uses a spreadsheet to either track IP maintenance issues and/or preventive ongoing maintenance issues.

I have had a look around the net and found a few ideas, though would like to see how some of the somersoft community handles / tracks maintenance on their investment properties.

Thanks

Just wondering if anyone uses a spreadsheet to either track IP maintenance issues and/or preventive ongoing maintenance issues.

I have had a look around the net and found a few ideas, though would like to see how some of the somersoft community handles / tracks maintenance on their investment properties.

Thanks

My PM's just go ahead and organise quotes the work to be done and then consult me as to which quote I want to go with.

They usually flick me an email with the quotes attached.

Any external maintenance is organised & carried out by the strata managers inline with the body corporate maintenance plans that are in place and have already been budgeted for as per body corp fees.

My PM's just go ahead and organise quotes the work to be done and then consult me as to which quote I want to go with.

They usually flick me an email with the quotes attached.

Any external maintenance is organised & carried out by the strata managers inline with the body corporate maintenance plans that are in place and have already been budgeted for as per body corp fees.

Do you mind me asking what role the PM plays when unsatisfactory work is carried out, or a warranty claim needs to be made for faulty products. Do the PMs actually check the work has been carried out satisfactorily?

Do you mind me asking what role the PM plays when unsatisfactory work is carried out, or a warranty claim needs to be made for faulty products. Do the PMs actually check the work has been carried out satisfactorily?

Yes my PM's organise warranty claims and/or unsatisfactory work to be carried out.

Hiya,

I've spent a fair bit of time this morning searching for an old spreadsheet that Pitt St posted a while back. (Found it, eventually.)

While doing this, I was thinking it might be a good idea to have a 'sticky' thread with all of the spreadsheets that people have contributed to the forum. I know Pitt St, Michael Whyte, TheFirstBruce and others have created some very valuable spreadsheets, and this thread could be a good place to hold them for easy reference?

To kick it off, I've attached my original living on equity spreadsheets, and the cashflow projection (it's zipped only as it's too big on its own).

So, does anyone want to add to this?

James.

Hi,

I have downloaded cashflow project.zip but its protected. I have tried to unprotect it but its prompting for password: Does any one have password or work around?

Regards
TV

Super Model

Hi,

1st post here but have read a lot of stuff on the site.

Went through the spreadsheets you guys have put up. There are some pretty useful calculators here. IP Calculator seems to do a decent job.

Best investment property calculator I’ve found is from my money calculator. Not sure if I can post here because of copyright. But it’s free and can be found at http://www.mymoneycalculator.com.au/index.html

Hi,

This is a great thread! I dream of a super model that would:

1) predict how a portfolio of multiple properties will grow in value
2) examines my serviceability and predicts when I can afford the next property
3) works out my expected income tax liability from year to year

This super model would cater for such variables as:

1) properties bought in different years (in the past and expected in the future) bought on specific dates
2) variations in income tax scales from year to year
3) P&I loans and I/O loans and switching between them, fixed interest loans, variable interest loans
4) adjusting loan interest rates from year to year
5) multiple loans for each property
6) adjusting salary percentage increases from year to year
7) adjusting rent percentage increases from year to year
8) adjusting superannuation contribution rates from year to year
9) adjusting cost increases from year to year
10) works out purchase costs (both property and loan depending on the state)
11) allows for initial cash deposits on propertiews
12) allows for entry of real information (eg from depreciation schedules, tax returns etc which overrides derived or predicted data
13) income from different sources (wages, rents, shares etc)
14) variable capital growth rates for different properties and the ability to vary the capital growth rate from year to year to allow for cycles

Now that's a challenge

Ciao
Kitdoctor

I believe a calculator there does all of that and more http://www.mymoneycalculator.com.au/mymoney-calculator.html

I have downloaded cashflow project.zip but its protected. I have tried to unprotect it but its prompting for password: Does any one have password or work around?

Jeez, testing my memory there. I just downloaded it again and found that the blue cells are still workable and no password is needed to open or operate the spreadsheet unless you were planning to edit something?

And looking at it now with the benefit of hindsight... it is not one of the better tools on this thread :eek:. Seriously, don't stress if you can't get it to work; there's much better stuff offered by other members in here anyway!!

hi,

trying to download free trial for Investment property calculator: getting alerts from the security program, saying it contains mailcious material: any one else encountered this?

regards
TV

Back