Sugar content?

Morning All
This is a question for the health and diet experts on SS.
I am trying to find out how much sugar is in my can of beer.
No ingredients are listed on the can at all which l find quite unusual.
What l do know is its, low alcohol content 3%
and its 0.9 standard drink.

Can anyone help me?
I have a slight suspicion that it may be contributing to my weight gain:eek:

cheers

The sugars have mostly been eaten by the yeast and converted to alcohol and CO2.

But that doesn't get you off the hook. They still exist as carbohydrates in beer.

I just have a layman's understanding of sugar/carbs but a good understanding of brewing beer. The yeast will eat sugar and carbs to their hearts content until the brewer kills them or they kill themselves when they make the alcohol level too high for them to live in - this is why wine and beer cannot be made as strong as spirits by just brewing it longer :) The process dies at a certain level - different for all yeasts but nearly always under about 10% usually lower for beer yeasts.

So look up carbs on the can not sugar. Hence Low Carb beer being made available now for us fatties :)

Plenty of info online.

It doesnt even say how many carbs
I thought everything had to be listed on products these days.

Simon are you telling me l will be better off drinking Rum:D

cheers

It doesnt even say how many carbs
I thought everything had to be listed on products these days.

Simon are you telling me l will be better off drinking Rum:D

cheers

I think that you'd be better drinking white spirits with diet mixers if you drink enough that weight gain is an issue :)

Or dry white wine.

Just drink low-carb and possibly reduce your intake slightly if necessary.

Consider how active your lifestyle is, if you are relatively sedantary increase exercise.

I eat well above my recommended intake, however I maintain a low percentage of body fat, as I have a rather exercise-intensive lifestyle.

Thankyou VB.. But if it says that l shouldnt drink then l dont want to read it.:(

I went on a big weight loss kick a few years ago and researched a bunch of stuff. I also dropped 22 kilos in about 7 months.

Beer doesn't contain ridiculously high levels of energy, less than, say, dairy products like milk. If you want to have a couple of beers every day, you will need to take that into account when working out how many kilojoules you are ingesting.

For example, having a couple of stubbies/cans of full strength has about the same energy content as 4 decent sized apples. Or a Mars Bar. Or a bowl of brekky cereal and milk.

You could very easily lose weight while drinking a couple of beers a day, provided you adjusted your food intake accordingly. That said, eating foods with good nutrional content is (to me) more important than a couple of beers.

My solution was to avoid alcohol most days, then when I had 1 (or several) drinks to not worry at all, because it wasn't a habit.

My food intake is very very moderate with all good stuff and small servings. No junk at all. No processed food at all.No soft drink and 1 coffee with skim milk per day.
I walk fast for 1 hour a day and l am always mobile not on the couch, well not until beer o,clock anyway:D
taking the above into account is why l had a fleeting thought that maybe just maybe beer was to blame for my weight gain:eek:
"habit" who said that dirty word?
cheers
and thanks for the feed back so far

Some sources claim alcohol may contribute to fat storage:

http://www.alive.com/1613a4a2.php?subject_bread_cramb=733
Alcohol increases appetite by stimulating the liver to convert stored sugar (glycogen) into glucose (blood sugar). The excess glucose stimulates insulin production, and insulin in turn stimulates the powerful fat storage hormone lipoprotein lipase (LPL), which is responsible for “beer-belly syndrome” by directing fat to the abdominal cavity for storage.

Makes sense. Interestingly, Wikipedia finds a different result:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_and_weight
Alcohol also appears to increase metabolic rate significantly, thus causing more calories to be burned rather than stored in the body as fat (Klesges et al., 1994).

i was trying to find any website regarding "gutbusters" - a program from years ago designed specifically for men trying to lose weight.

i remember in newcastle they did a special branch off for blokes who still liked to enjoy a couple of beers after work.

unfortunately i wasn't able to find anything except this book reference.

http://www.allenandunwin.com/default.aspx?page=511&book=9781864488838

and some general comments.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/ss/stories/s896562.htm

from what i heard (years ago) it was a very successful program that worked in with a "blokes" lifestyle.

If my home brew is anything to go by there's a lot of sugar used to make beer.
One kg of sugar makes 20 litres which gives me 16 x 1.25 litre soft drink bottles. Each bottle has an extra two teaspoons of sugar to prime it.
This means there is about 72.5g of sugar per bottle or 29g per 500 ml glass.

After realising this I switched to low carb beer. I've no idea how low carb beer works but I'm quite happy to drink it. :D

Just in case you want to know:

1 Gram of Protein = 4 calories
1 Gram of Carbohydrates = 4 calories
1 Gram of Alcohol = 7 calories
1 Gram of Fat = 9 calories

If my home brew is anything to go by there's a lot of sugar used to make beer.
One kg of sugar makes 20 litres which gives me 16 x 1.25 litre soft drink bottles. Each bottle has an extra two teaspoons of sugar to prime it.
This means there is about 72.5g of sugar per bottle or 29g per 500 ml glass.

After realising this I switched to low carb beer. I've no idea how low carb beer works but I'm quite happy to drink it. :D

But most of the intial sugar is eaten by the yeast to make the alcohol and the CO2 that bubbles so violently out of the airlock. Yeast is a living organism and is amazing to use. Breadmakers as well as winemakers and brewers know this. When you get good you can use the wild yeast in the air for your brews. It is used for sourdough bread - they eschew the use of bakers yeast!

The sugar added at bottling is eaten by the residual yeast. But the CO2 builds up pressure inside the bottle and is absorbed into the liquid. Hence the sound when you open a bottle, the head on your beer and the bubbles you see and taste.

You also know what happens when you put too much sugar in at bottling - those bangs you hear from the garage at night and the mess to clean up. Two teaspoons is twice what I use and I get a good result. Unless you use a bigger bottle than the king browns I use? I know some use 2l PET bottles nowadays.

But everyone has their own recipes and ideas - that's part of the fun. I haven't used a tinned malt for years now. I buy the ingredients and make the wort from scratch. I think it is a better result and more rewarding but not for those who make beer just to get the cheapest cost per bottle:)

Firslty, it doesn't have sugar/carbs info on the can, because men don't give a rats about that crap (yes, I know you're female).

Secondly, why are you drinking light beer?

Back