Tech help?

Scenario:
One line coming into home. It has an ADSL connection. Internet is working fine. Telephone has no dial tone. A different handset tried - same result - so not the phone itself. Is the fault:
1. The inline filter/splitter
2. The line? (assuming its not since the internet works)
3. Some issue at the telephone exchange - Telstra
4. Some issue at the ISP
The line is Telstra. The ADSL internet is TPG.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'd vote for the in line filter, although I'd still expect to hear a dial tone. Then again, maybe not, depending on the problem.
I'm not a big fan of those types of filters/splitters, anyway. Much prefer a central filter so that one twisted pair throughout the house is ADSL and the other is phone.
If it's a plug in, in-line filter, can you remove it from the equation and plug the phone in to see if you get a dial tone?

Thanks guys.

I did unplug the splitter and put the phone in - no dial tone.

Reconnected - and then no internet either.

Obviously a line fault that the phone would not work over but somehow the internet held up over the didgy connection.

Reported the fault. That was funny - no access to telstra.com - what number do I call? Had to look in the phone book - geeze - that wasn't easy - the number is hidden in their somewhere :confused:.

Thanks again to you all.....on someone else's PC now :) Hopefully back online tomorrow ;)

Scenario:
One line coming into home. It has an ADSL connection. Internet is working fine. Telephone has no dial tone. A different handset tried - same result - so not the phone itself.

Thanks for your thoughts.
I had a similar problem a while back.....

ADSL worked (mostly), but phone didn't.

Apparently ADSL only needs ONE wire connected, a phone needs both. Check to see if one of your wires is loose.

Check to see if one of your wires is loose.

There are a few ppl I know who reckon that is what's wrong with me :D

Thanks for the advice. Telstra finally rang me back and got me to unplug everything and they tested the line. Definitely a line fault they reckon.

Might be the Telstra tech I saw lifting pit lids in the street today. He's probably connected someone and "fixed" mine while he's at it.:(

Back