Teenagers, Piercing and Tattoos

Hi All
What would you do??

Have 2 daughters, the younger daughter now 16 wanted a body piercing on her belly button, as all her friends are doing this and some also have tattoos, I have not noticed.

Anyway, I have always stated that if any of my children get tatts they will be disowned immediately... sort of;)

Piercing, OK I can live with this to a degree as you can always remove this, anyway, my 16 year old daughter has now a piercing on her belly button. I went along with this one, as she required permission, this is standard practice these days.

I suppose today the tattoo culture has changed from many years ago and perhaps tatts are seen as a fashionable, even a fashion accessory, but its permanent and I still believe many view people with tats in a negative light.

What do you think, would you approve of your teenager having piercings or tatts.

MTR

I'm glad I don't have a daughter :p

Convince her to wait til 18. She'll be more equipped to make her own decisions then. Also, she won't have high school peer pressure.

I struggle with the whole scene of tatts.

I don't have any at all, neither does my wife, and we have no desire to follow the crowd

They look cr@p after 10 years,

Do nothing to enhance anyone's looks - detract from them actually - in my opinion,

They cost a fortune

They are permanent (unless you go to Bali and get one there;))

And what's worse - everyone gets them to makes some sort of fashion or rebellion statement.....everyone. :rolleyes: Reminds me of that crowd scene outside Brian's window in Life of Brian. "We are all individuals!"

My SIL is a tattooist, and she is covered in them. Almost all her world of friends are the same, so I have come to terms with accepting that folk who are covered are ok, and it's their body and they are free to do what they want with it.

Shame, really. Not a smart thing to do in my opinion.

I will try to educate my kids that to get them is not necessary, or even cool, and it is a financially reckless endeavour - as is smoking and drugs.

Will I be disappointed if they decide to get a full arm or two or whole body? Inwardly, yes; but I won't disown them or shun them etc. I will still love them.

I think the more you carry on about these things, the more likely they are to rebel and get them to spite you.

But, I look at the folk I know who have them and many are good people, so that is the more important issue.

Last edited:
No tramp stamps allowed!

None allowed until she is 18 and even then I'll heavily advise her not to.

I can't believe there are parents allowing their under 18 girls to do it!:rolleyes:

Piercings well ears are ok but I don't see any point allowing anything else. But hey, my daughter is 5 so I have a lot to learn. My 14yo boy has no interest :)

My daughter wanted a belly button piercing, which I didn't have a problem with, but I also wouldn't permit a tattoo.She has since let it grow over, as well as some in her ear.

When she became an adult, she did get a few tattoos..which she knows I don't like, but I don't make it an issue.

It would be great when they do make a tattoo, that can be easily vaporized without any scars.

I would forbid it until any child of mine turned 18. Then I cannot do a thing about it.

People ARE judged by how they look, piercings, tattoos, hair colour. It might not be politically correct, and they might not be wanting ever to go for a job where such things matter.

But if they do one day go for a job where it does matter to the people making the decision on who to hire, I'd hate to be the one with the tattoo.

I have a friend whose daughter (teenager) wanted a tattoo. The mother (a bit of a hippy) got the tattoo she had always wanted. Daughter no longer thought it was cool and changed her mind.

I struggle with the whole scene of tatts.

I don't have any at all, neither does my wife, and we have no desire to follow the crowd

They look cr@p after 10 years,

Do nothing to enhance anyone's looks - detract from them actually - in my opinion,

They cost a fortune

They are permanent (unless you go to Bali and get one there;))

And what's worse - everyone gets them to makes some sort of fashion or rebellion statement.....everyone. :rolleyes: Reminds me of that crowd scene outside Brian's window in Life of Brian. "We are all individuals!"

My SIL is a tattooist, and she is covered in them. Almost all her world of friends are the same, so I have come to terms with accepting that folk who are covered are ok, and it's their body and they are free to do what they want with it.

Shame, really. Not a smart thing to do in my opinion.

I will try to educate my kids that to get them is not necessary, or even cool, and it is a financially reckless endeavour - as is smoking and drugs.

Will I disappointed if they decide to get a full arm or two or whole body? Inwardly, yes; but I won't disown them or shun them etc. I will still love them.

I think the more you carry on about these things, the more likely they are to rebel and get them to spite you.

But, I look at the folk I know who have them and many are good people, so that is the more important issue.

On the contrary I think you're a sheep if you don't get a tattoo these days.
It's just a tattoo, no big deal, just some ink. As long as it's not on the face, neck or hands then don't sweat it because tattoo removals are getting better. However if you're rich enough and don't need to go for job interviews then you know you've made it. And I'm not talking about Anglelina Jollie, David Beckham, Brad Pitt etc who are all covered in tatts but get them edited out for their movies.

Last edited:
The problem is now that every bloody celebrity, music star and sports star has them, and the kids see this every single day, and get the wrong message - despite what the parents think or say.

On the contrary I think you're a sheep if you don't get a tattoo these days.
I disagree.

It is actually a sheep/penguin thing to have them these days.

To not have them is to be different for the current teen/20 something generation.

I admire the kids who don't give in to the peer pressure and mindless mentality that you must get one.

I regularly tell kids at school that they have snot hanging out of their nose and the studs on their chin or lip look like huge zits. It isn't working..........

There was a man coming out of the shop the other day. Except for a thin line down the middle of his face, he was completely tattooed.

Gross !!

I regularly tell kids at school that they have snot hanging out of their nose and the studs on their chin or lip look like huge zits. It isn't working..........

Wow Angel.. Are you still at Albany Creek? My 2 went to Aspley ( and had lots of Albany mates). Piercing was a very strict no no back up to 2003 when youngest left

The problem is now that every bloody celebrity, music star and sports star has them, and the kids see this every single day, and get the wrong message - despite what the parents think or say.

I think you're a sheep if you don't have them... "Oh look at me I'm so different because I don't have a tattoo like everyone else" :rolleyes:

Maybe start talking about tatts like you are going to get one, nothing repulses teenagers more than that in my experience;)
It's suddenly not quite so cool if someone as pathetic as Mum wants one :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have always stated that if any of my children get tatts they will be disowned immediately... sort of;)

My mum said the same thing and I got my first tattoo at 18 and now I'm semi covered in them, no disowning yet! Funny thing is my mum now wants to get one.

Maybe start talking about tatts like you are going to get one, nothing repulses teenagers more than that in my experience;)
It's suddenly not quite so cool if someone as pathetic as Mum wants one :rolleyes:

Unless your bluff gets called ?

I think you're a sheep if you don't have them... "Oh look at me I'm so different because I don't have a tattoo like everyone else" :rolleyes:

Let us all know how you feel about your zodiac stamps and trendy chinese symbols in 20 years time individualist.

Back