Tenant FURIOUS over delivery noise downstairs

Sounds like I've offended somebody.;)

Not having another whinge but I've had much worse problems than this. Won't bore you with the details but it involves one of my property being broken into, then sitting vacant for two months, terrible PM (gave her the flick already) and yes I did get a huge repair bill too. I build in lots of buffers for my properties so financially I'm quite robust. I just find it mentally exhausting acting like a parent to my tenants sometimes. I know CIP has its own risks and cons but the risks will be slightly different and at least it appears CIP tenants will need to learn to wipe their own bottom and not call their LL every other day. Just a way to diversify I guess.

I've had my lesson in hiring PMs. Some of the stories on SS don't even come close. Will not let them walk all over me.

I do buy shares too, told you I like to diversify! :p

P.S. I never said I only have one IP and one tenant.:confused:

I thought Skater was dending propertyinvesting

Whoever speaks ill of property investing shall be chastised and belittled

I thought it was a bit strange of a strange thing for skater to say, unless of course she was extra good at assuming the things about you she didn't know ... turned out she wasn't.

You guys are not going to believe what I just heard from the PM. I think this thing has got the potential to be turned into a 8 o'clock TV drama.

So the tenant contacted the council and was told he needs to keep a log of what and when it happens along with the truck rego over the next ten days (picturing tenant chasing down the truck in his PJ with pen and paper at 3am...not gonna happen). This will then be followed by an informed request from the council to the cafe to stop delivery and if nothing happens council will then put forward a formal request, followed by fines if applicable. Tenant not happy with this saying it will drag on for way too long, writes yet another email to PM who forwarded it to me and the strata manager, and here comes the juicy bit.

The strata manager called PM and says he thinks the tenant is pulling our legs. Apparently the cafe has surveillance camera and only on one occasion was there a delivery when the tenant said they were woken up, and he's heard off hand my tenant has bought a place and this could be why they are trying so hard to get out of the lease!!! Tenant did sell his old place before he rented my apartment.

Regardless how much truth is in this I've had enough of my tenant. They can go if they so wish but not without paying the breaking cost first. :D

You guys are not going to believe what I just heard from the PM.

Nope! I believe it all.

Regardless of the claim that you are not a novice, I stick to my guns that you seem a little wet behind the ears with this investing lark. You CAN own more than one IP and still be a novice. I don't know why you even got involved in the first place. None of this should have been of major concern if you have a good PM. Let them go, but stick to your guns about them paying everything until a new tenant is found AND GET A NEW PM.

sydsider. As an investor as well as a PM, I keep reminding my self, our role is the manage the tenancy, and the major piece of legislation impacting, is the State Residential Tenancy act. Events which are outside of this, I assist them, by giving them direction to find solutions to the problem, rather than saying, leave it to me, I will fix it for you. I feel that I have quite enough to deal with, and dont put my hand up for jobs that are not really my responsibility

Nope! I believe it all.

Regardless of the claim that you are not a novice, I stick to my guns that you seem a little wet behind the ears with this investing lark. You CAN own more than one IP and still be a novice. I don't know why you even got involved in the first place. None of this should have been of major concern if you have a good PM. Let them go, but stick to your guns about them paying everything until a new tenant is found AND GET A NEW PM.

Did you just ask and answer your own question ?

Why did he get involved - becaue he does not have a good PM. This apparently seems to happen to lots of investors, so what do you do eh ?

Sure the PM should have handled this properly from the start. Replied business like to emials directing tenant to th ecouncil with hom they can argue aobut the fairness of thier (the council's) procedures to their heart's content... But they didn't...

None of this should have been of major concern if you have a good PM.

Maybe so but someone has to deal with the problem and if the PM can't then I have to step in. In an ideal world we'd all employ the best PM on earth but truth of the matter is despite our effort many don't show their true colour until there is a problem. The PM needs to be dealt with but the issue with the current tenant needs to be dealt with first. What good is it going to do me just sitting there complaining it's all my PM's fault.

The thing is, the minute a PM tries to get you involved in a problem that is beyond your control (like noise from a neighbour, etc), you really need to stand by your guns and tell the PM that they (or the tenants) need to deal with this, that is what you pay them for. No, you are not going to let the tenant out of the lease, and no you are not going to give them discounts.

No, you are not going to let the tenant out of the lease, and no you are not going to give them discounts.

I agree. They'll have to pay breaking cost if they want out early.

Also, I wasn't sure if the tenant would be able to break the lease legitimately due to the noise issue as I've never had this problem before. I know the answer now! PM should have known but she didn't. Yes Yes bad PM get rid of her I know I know.

rules of residential tenancies
  1. Tenants lie
  2. Nobody cares about your property as much as you do
  3. Tenants lie
  4. Property Managers, dont manage
  5. Tenants lie
extra rule, Tenants lie

someone has to deal with the problem and if the PM can't then I have to step in.

sydsider, you need to start adding a bit of concrete to that marshmallow mix.

"have to" is rather a strong term. You are not obligated to 'step in'. You are not your Tenant's parents. They are adults I presume, and must go through the appropriate channels. That does not include you.

In an ideal world we'd all employ the best PM on earth but truth of the matter is despite our effort many don't show their true colour until there is a problem.

Indeed, the time for the promises on their glossy brochures has well past. You are now in the **** covering section of the maze.

The PM needs to be dealt with but the issue with the current tenant needs to be dealt with first.

Agreed, but not by you. Relax. Can you imagine if you were 50 times as well off as you are now, and you had 50 of these things to deal with.....would you really want to get involved with 50 complaints, or would you direct them all to the Council and get on with collecting your rent ??

What good is it going to do me just sitting there complaining it's all my PM's fault.

Relax, it's between the Tenant, the Cafe and the Council. Instead, jump on the internet and see if you can find another unit to buy, so you have two of these types of Tenants....:p

after having owned or flipped a good 50 - 100 propertie over the past 6 years, here's my investment advice.

build a house, make some equity. pay it down. put it up as collateral for a comm property, retire. repeat if you are bored.

Yikes! Just read this thread.

I just find it mentally exhausting acting like a parent to my tenants sometimes.

Then don't.

you really need to stand by your guns and tell the PM that they (or the tenants) need to deal with this, that is what you pay them for.

As Skater said, the first phone call you received from the PM about this issue should have received a reaction from you of non-interest. Should have asked them why they were calling you about this, and tell them to deal with the problem through the appropriate channels IF they feel it's anything to do with them to begin with.

Hindsight eh... :)

As for the idiot tenant - if the house next door to mine was causing noise at all times of the day, why on earth would I ring the PM of my property as opposed to walking over and having a chat, calling council if it goes on etc?! What would he do if it were his house and he didn't have a LL to complain to......... ahhhh the penny drops - tenant mentality, the LL is a rich fat cat responsible for my general well being in life, he'll fix the problem for me. Winters coming as well, might have to hit him up for a scarf and beanie for when I walk to my mailbox.

This tenant reminds me of a lawyer who leased some commercial office premises from me a few years back. He used to complain about the garbage truck going down the back laneway and causing him delays in driving into the car park.

I explained in no uncertain terms that (1) the lane and the garbage truck are outside of my control and (2) using his logic i could argue the same with my landlord over the traffic bottlenecks on the Eastern Freeway every morning!

He quickly moved on to other things to whinge about!!

I would tell the tenant to harden up or move out and then if need be raise it at the next strata meeting.

Back