Tenant who knows how to work the system!

This is every IP owner's worst nightmare and happens far too often. All states and territories need to rein in the freedom these "squatters" have and give some power back to the good guys.

By good guys do you mean evil-moneyloving-negativegearing-taxavoiding-capitalist-pigs?

It's not a specific requirement but I just checked with the claims manager and she said that it would be best to give us a call on 1800 661 662 and discuss the possible claim, just to make sure things are progressing along the correct lines, and it can then be phone noted against the policy. It can't hurt and it could help. Just call and advise you would like to discuss a likely claim with a claims person.

Thanks Brett, I'll call in the morning

This is every IP owner's worst nightmare and happens far too often. All states and territories need to rein in the freedom these "squatters" have and give some power back to the good guys.

I find it incredible that the law allows them to squat!! The courts seem to be inadequately staffed (hearings heard one day per week at my local courthouse, occassionally a week is skipped) so that it drags on just waiting for a date.
Commercial leases seem to be the way to go - send out notices, wait the appropriate time, then re-enter and take possession of the property.

Last edited:
That's pretty atrocious. I'd have thought James Bond would have been better equipped to handle it though....:) Walther PPK 9mm or something with an ejector seat maybe....:)

so what would happen if you take back the property when the tennant was not home and change the locks and remove all tennants belongings from the property

You would be in big trouble I would imagine

When we did, we went to the RCMP (police) and told them what we were going to do. They said ok..they have no problem with that.
We just let them know first, in case the tenant called them.

When she threatened, we told her which officer to speak with.

BTW...we were doing everything legal. The RCMP just mentioned we were unusal, because most LL's are not as proactive as us.

When we did, we went to the RCMP (police) and told them what we were going to do. They said ok..they have no problem with that.

BTW...we were doing everything legal. The RCMP just mentioned we were unusal, because most LL's are not as proactive as us.
That may be the case in Canada- I don't think you would be able to do that legally here.

That may be the case in Canada- I don't think you would be able to do that legally here.

maybe...but I was basically responding to thatbum's post
--Maybe landlords should also learn to "work the system" in their favour instead.

We found a way, and took advantage of it.
Most LLs in Canada wouldn't even try it...even though we know some other LLs that do.

That's fine Kathryn- I just want to make it clear, so that we don't have somebody trying to do something here which may not be legal, because it's been done by somebody else. While most forumites know where you're from, and may know that RCMP is Canadian, if it's not explicit then they may get caught out.

That's fine Kathryn- I just want to make it clear, so that we don't have somebody trying to do something here which may not be legal, because it's been done by somebody else. While most forumites know where you're from, and may know that RCMP is Canadian, if it's not explicit then they may get caught out.

Yes...absolutley
Always work within laws that govern your area.

Thats in the States isn't it?

Would imagine a different story here, I am pretty sure the police would advise to do what is legal, not what is right for you being the landlord.

Back