Terazzo Bathroom Floor

Evening All,

I have a 4 Br x 1 Bth 1960's ex Housing Trust (SA) property which has some considerable upside because at the moment it is pretty ordinary and as a result is achieving a very ordinary rent from a very ordinary tenant.

It has a nauseating pink terrazzo (grano) floor in the bathroom to go with the same bright pink basin, bath tub and wall tiles. I'm thinking of doing some cosmetic work (right through the house) with a view to increasing the rental appeal and hopefully attract a better quality tenant. Current rent is $240/wk and i'm sure that if the place was freshened up it would pull > $295/wk.

I'd like some input from anyone who has worked at transforming a terrazzo floor into something less intrusive. I've thought about painting, white knight etc. but just can't picture the floor as painted.

The 'search' avenue has turned up little for me to date. I've been through all the members photos and seen some tremendous results; hopefully someone out there can get me past my 'painters block'. :(

Cheers,

Ian

Increase the rent to $295 now.
If the tenant doesn't renew,and you get another tenant who maybe does like pink (there are some of us!!)and who is willing to pay the higher rent.You have achieved what you were aiming for, without incurring any additional expense.

If you don't get a new tenant straight away...then paint or replace.

We have gone both ways with terrazzo floors, pulling them out to change the layout of a bathroom, and lower the floor level, and then screwed AC sheeting to the floor (thick sheeting for floors) and tiled, and we have also had terrazzo floors repolished. They come up beautifully, and are back in fashion, but not sure about pink. If you tone everything else down to absolute white, maybe the pink will not be so "in your face".

'Evening All,

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've just done a quick 'Google' myself and I think i've fallen head over heels in love with terrazzo flooring again!!! :eek: The few images I found of highly polished floors were surprisingly appealing, compared to the grotty faded surface in my IP.

***Great tip Wylie about toning all the other surfaces down......really has given me some food for thought!!

Continuing on with the bathroom, i'd appreciate further feedback:

The old bricked-in iron bathtub (not claw foot) has some serious rust coming through around the drain hole and also has some significant chips out of the enamelled surface. I was thinking of removing the tub completely and replacing the existing small square shower alcove at the end of the bath with something larger, rectangular and more modern.

The trouble I face is that the terrazzo floor is actually the original moulded / shaped slab which is slightly rounded or curved up towards the base of the bath tub end and side wall tiling. If anyone has seen stock standard 1950s - 60s houses you'll know exactly what I mean. If I take the bath out, this would also open the room up and facilitate a more user friendly wash basin / vanity cupboard arrangement. However, I should imagine the concrete floor under the tub will be the original, rough, unfinished surface which was never intended to see light of day.

Ultimately I may end up replacing the damaged hot pink tub with a cheapy white enamel tub and replace the mottled, grey shower wall 'laminex' (yes....laminex) with new cheap white tiles. The safety glass shower screen and curtain rail can be replaced at small cost with a basic slider, or pivoting door arrangement....polish up the terrazzo and see how it looks.

Thoughts / comments most welcome.....:)

Cheers, Ian.

Back