The average wage

What is the "average" wage for someone without any qualifications these days?

I ask because I've been working in the same place for 15 months now without a raise, and we all had reviews 5 weeks ago and were told that the pay review would follow but no-one has heard back. My Boss was just picking my brain to see if I made any other income on the side and I get the feeling that he's trying to see if he can get away with leaving me on the same wage. Which I'm not dissatisfied with, but everyone would like more, right?

I make $26 per hour working in a shed pushing pens around, and receive $110p/w for petrol because I do maybe 60km per week of drop off, pick up stuff.
I am really busy though and it does get stressful. The guy I work with makes $85,000 so I'm guessing is on around $32p/h..

I'm thinking that if I still haven't heard anything in a weeks time I will go see him to ask why he hasn't given any indication of whats happening with the pay reviews. I know that a pay rise not really get you as far as people think, In fact, Kiyosaki says that we shouldn't be interested in receiving them at all and I see where he's coming from, but it would help out with living costs for the time being.

I work in an education sector and we get salary raises once a year.

I've just been raised to just over $50,000 PA. Crap salary really, but the work conditions and the easy going attitude which also allows me some time to run my second business is worth it for now.

I dont know what the average wage is these days, but I think, given the current economic climate, the average pay rise would be around the inflation rate, or lower (so 3-4% maximum)

I make $26 per hour working in a shed pushing pens around, and receive $110p/w for petrol because I do maybe 60km per week of drop off, pick up stuff.
I am really busy though and it does get stressful. The guy I work with makes $85,000 so I'm guessing is on around $32p/h..

I'm thinking that if I still haven't heard anything in a weeks time I will go see him to ask why he hasn't given any indication of whats happening with the pay reviews. I know that a pay rise not really get you as far as people think, In fact, Kiyosaki says that we shouldn't be interested in receiving them at all and I see where he's coming from, but it would help out with living costs for the time being.

If thats what Kiyosaki says, then I would disagree strongly with him. I am extremely interested in getting a pay rise. But I dont expect it just because i've worked for the company for another year. I expect it because I've contributed in an increasing measure to the company's success, and I expect to share in the rewards for that. I think if you are passive about salary increases, you are probably also passive about productivity increases. So, I also want an increasing level of my salary to be dependent upon my individual performance, through our incentive scheme. My base salary is now more than double what it was when I started with the company 6 years ago. and I dont work in an industry known for its large salaries!! In addition, my potential bonus has gone from zero to 30% of my base salary... But I have brought the company sales and profit far in excess of that... so I think its a good outcome both ways.
My suggestion is that you think about areas where you could directly improve the companies performance, and ask for a bonus payment based on achieving those goals. It could be increased turnover or increased efficiency... or something. this could potentially bring a much more significant reward than expecting a pay rise purely on the amount of time you've worked for the company.

purely on the amount of time you've worked for the company.

Exactly. Amount of people that come to me and say I'd like 15% pay rise. Why is that? I've been here 5 years now! Ok, how have you helped grow this company? Usually a blank face and scratch of the head follows.

Make money. Earn money.

Agree about show your worth, then get your worth.

G'Day

I reckon you are well paid if, as you say, you have no qualifications and are doing general clerical work

Australia's minimum wage is $15.51 per hour or $589.30 per week

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/pay/national-minimum-wage/pages/default.aspx

You are earning $26 per hour = $51,376 pa plus superannuation

Has your productivity increased over the past 18 months? Has the business grown, can it afford to pay more and retain the return on investment for the owner?

If you are already paid more than the Minimum Wage or Award Wage for your Industry (if there is one) then it is a nicety to get CPI increases

Yes, we would all like to get paid 'more' for doing the same work. However, no one owes us this, so unless you have negotiated a Contract of Employment which provides for CPI or other increases, it is all at the discretion of your employer

Cheers
Kristine

Thanks Kristine.

I am working much harder and giving more to the company than I did all those months ago so it is justified, kinda.. Depending on how you look at it.

What Mr. Kiyosaki means when he says that we shouldn't be looking to become a better employee (he actually aims to become unemployable) and seek pay increases, is that this will never make us rich, nor will it necessarily make it easier on ourselfes to exit the rat-race. But it's great if your main aim is to work for a living. Thats not my goal though. A pay increase could possibly make it easier on me because I could reduce debt faster than I'm able to now, but it wouldn't be by much.
My investments won't be working any harder than they are already, and it is them that will give me the ability to retire. Not "working" for this money.

I'm on a highly variable wage rate, but around $32/hr is about right. Had the union secretary at the start of the week getting in a huff in preparation for the next round of EBA negotiations. He didn't seem too pleased because the company I work for offered 2.5% pay rises for the next three years, whilst boosting the CEO's pay packet by 90%. Don't care about the CEO pay rise personally as he's done his job well, however with the companies performance doing so well, it was a bit harsh to offer pay cuts in real terms.

Award Rates for a storemen are $16.98 after 12 months or $645.20 a week for 38 hours.

to me around $35k-$40k would be standard full time wage, $50k is very good usually with extra responsibilites/supervision etc depending on hours worked though :)

Thanks Kristine.

I am working much harder and giving more to the company than I did all those months ago so it is justified, kinda.. Depending on how you look at it.

What Mr. Kiyosaki means when he says that we shouldn't be looking to become a better employee (he actually aims to become unemployable) and seek pay increases, is that this will never make us rich, nor will it necessarily make it easier on ourselfes to exit the rat-race. But it's great if your main aim is to work for a living. Thats not my goal though. A pay increase could possibly make it easier on me because I could reduce debt faster than I'm able to now, but it wouldn't be by much.
My investments won't be working any harder than they are already, and it is them that will give me the ability to retire. Not "working" for this money.

I guess you also need to look at whether you are being more effective. Sometimes your effectiveness actually decreases when you are working harder. So, I always prefer to look at the outcome of work, rather than the number of hours people work.

I use to believe in RDPD principles. But I've owned a business (where I was working on the business not in the business), been an employee, owned shares and owned investment properties. So far, the most effective, successful vehicle for growing wealth by far has been been being an employee, followed by owning a PPOR... exactly the opposite of RDPD principles.
I think if you can find a job you enjoy and are good at, and that pays reasonably well, and you are disciplined in your spending and investing, then its the easiest, quickest vehicle for growing wealth. I dont consider myself to be in the "rat race". I enjoy my job, I'm good at it, and I'm well rewarded for it. Having a good stable salary means the bank wants to lend us money (which it wouldnt if we still ran a business) and that gives us freedom to make other investments.

Best post I've read in ages Penny.
Well said and I although you have more real world experience than me in that right, I wholeheartedly agree. Kudos to you.

I have tried to start my own business, but it did not go far. Was a lot of hard work for little reward and I quickly gave up. I've also looked long and hard at many other types of income producing ways to earn a living and failed at those, too. I went back to working with a successful company and do a good job for them. They are in-tuen helping me retire by supplying me with a reliable wage to invest in my property business.

I use to believe in RDPD principles. But I've owned a business (where I was working on the business not in the business), been an employee, owned shares and owned investment properties. So far, the most effective, successful vehicle for growing wealth by far has been been being an employee, followed by owning a PPOR... exactly the opposite of RDPD principles.

I think if you can find a job you enjoy and are good at, and that pays reasonably well, and you are disciplined in your spending and investing, then its the easiest, quickest vehicle for growing wealth.

It would have to some mega high paying job, for an employee to grow wealth easier and faster than a business owner.

Re bank lending - it is better to have a business because you can massage your financials to obtain a) a better overall tax rate, and b) the banks will 'add back' certain items like depreciation and excess superannuation contributions when assessing your serviceability. Not to mention that you have access to lo-doc products too as a business. These pros far outweigh the cons of being self-employed.

I also agree 100% with this. (How contradicting does this sound..) If for tax reason alone. However, I find it less stressful to worry about being an employee, although theres next to no chance in increasing your profit margin by 100% year on year.

I also really like the idea of earn, spend, pay tax on whats left (as a business/Co, Rather than earn, taxed, spend whats left (employee)

Some day I think I'd like to have my own business. I have no idea what type of biz this would be though.. I do (however) like the idea of an internet business that can travel with you and isn't too much work. Very hard to come by as I've found though, otherwise everyone would be doing it. I like the idea of growing plants and selling them, because that would allow me to enjoy being at home and working at my own pace, in something I really enjoy doing. But am not sure how to go about this. Plus, I don't want to sell from home, I'd like to sell direct to companies or clients, but don't want to have to sit at a market stall on the weekends either. I haven't really given it much thought as you can see.

Re bank lending - it is better to have a business because you can massage your financials to obtain a) a better overall tax rate, and b) the banks will 'add back' certain items like depreciation and excess superannuation contributions when assessing your serviceability. Not to mention that you have access to lo-doc products too as a business. These pros far outweigh the cons of being self-employed.

Some day I think I'd like to have my own business. I have no idea what type of biz this would be though.. I do (however) like the idea of an internet business that can travel with you and isn't too much work. Very hard to come by as I've found though, otherwise everyone would be doing it.

I am not a business guru. But the small business owners and even internet based businesses that I know of work their butts off day and night to build it up.
They will be updating websites, building social media, talking to people, resolving customer enquiries as well as everything else to get to the position where they can not work too much.
You really have to want it and not be afraid to live and breathe it the entire time. Otherwise I'm not sure why you think your wage is that bad.
As you said unqualified wages, maybe you might want a qualification?

I don't really know your details sorry if i assumed you were unqualified.

Agree with Andrew A, ABS is the best place for average weekly earnings. To save you going to the link.

Average of all full time employees is $1,305.4 or $67880.0 a growth of 4.3% on last year.

Except that the OP was looking for info on unqualified wage earners.

Unqualified like all things has huge disparities, even within the same type of industry. All depends upon the workplace. My pay packet is circa $20k more a year than the award rate.

It would have to some mega high paying job, for an employee to grow wealth easier and faster than a business owner.

The money I earn (my turnover) as an employee is mine, and I dont have to pay anyone apart from the taxman.
The turnover I earn from a business goes to staff, cost of goods, rent, tax, banks accountants, lawyers, phone and internet etc etc etc... everyone wants a piece of it.
As an employee, my gross salary (with allowances and bonuses) is now 3x what my actual take home profit/salary was running a business. When one segment of our business went pear shaped because the government froze funding in that area), it dragged the whole business under, and we were left with a huge debt to pay off.
So, in my experience, owning a business decimated our wealth. We came very close to losing everything. Fortunately, we were able to pull through, but are still paying off the debt 7 years later.
Unfortunately, I think that is many people's experience... the majority of small businesses fail, and the owners are left in a financial black hole... most people grossly underestimate the costs and over estimate the rewards. For the majority of people, being an employee will be a better vehicle to wealth creation than owning a business.

Back