The Biggest Tax EVER in Australia

Alan Jones has been investigated by the Australian Communications and Media Authority for spouting the 0.3 degree waffle on 2GB in Sydney.

It has been proven to be false.

The thing that gets lost in this whole topic is the fact that no matter who wins, who loses, how many jobs get cut (and there will be a few), how many get created (doubtful), at the end of the day the world's temp may or may not change by about .3 of a degree...............

let me repeat that for ya's all;

.3 of a degree over the next 20 (or was it 50?) years...............maybe (based on the most accurate scientific models and estimates)..

Now; is this a terrific reason to even be thinking about such a tax at all? :eek:

What scares me is that there are a lot of supposedly intelligent human beings out there who believe this to be a good move....many of them running this Country.

Talk about time and money wasting.

So let me get this straight; the Big Mining World will get taxed unless they cut emissions of Carbon Dioxide.

Screwloose-ia will then give it back to the plebs in the form of a tax cut. I can't wait - I'm sure Ev will be happy; he copped a $46k bill this year.

What do you think will happen at the Board meetings of the Big Mining boys when they see that their bottom line got bent over by this tax?

What do you think will happen at the Board meetings of the Big Mining boys when they see that their bottom line got bent over by this tax?

Maybe the might actually start to invest in technologies that reduce their carbon emissions? Like more energy efficient processing plants, rolling stock, rotating equipment, power generation equipment, etc etc etc.

It's nowhere near enough of an impact to change their actual mining operations but it does give them a reason to do it all more efficiently than they have been to date. Some progress in this direction would certainly be welcome...

Last year I was posting that the whole "global warming" is a global scam, it's not even being called a global warming but a climate change... many posters on here called me names and said how it's "necessary" for the environment... there you go, less money for all BUT the very rich who run this country, including the likes of Gillard.

Get ready Australia, the next tax we will have will be based on the tectonic plates movement and how we must stop the Australian continent from moving 5 millimeters every year... :rolleyes:

Maybe the might actually start to invest in technologies that reduce their carbon emissions?
But it's CARBON DIOXIDE. It's not a pollution; it has already been agreed by several scientists - on both sides - that CO2 is actually beneficial to the plants, and hence almost all life on the planet.

Someone has convinced a lot of people that the word "carbon" means horrible pollution that will kill and make the world boil. It's "she's a witch" stuff.

It's nowhere near enough of an impact to change their actual mining operations but it does give them a reason to do it all more efficiently than they have been to date. Some progress in this direction would certainly be welcome...
Why?

But it's not going to change the temp by even one degree.

You are sounding exactly like the Pollies; utter denial of the real root of the whole idea behind this tax in the first place - which will not occur.....warming the goddamn planet.

"SHE'S A WITCH!!"

Alan Jones has been investigated by the Australian Communications and Media Authority for spouting the 0.3 degree waffle on 2GB in Sydney.

It has been proven to be false.

Andrew Bolt has quoted the same figure using the comments from numerous scientists.

In fact; the estimates of the scientists was somewhere between 1/1000th and 3/1000ths of a degree from memory.

Amazingly, not one of the folk from the pro CO2 tax camp will go on his show and debate the issue.

Actually; I lie - one of the Labour ministers finally did go on the show the other week, and when the question was put to him about "if the temp won't alter, then why do we need this tax?", he replied with "someone has to make a start and lead by example"

To which, AB replied again; "But why?...the temp will not alter by even a 100th of a degree!"

It's absolutely absurd.

Don't forget the warm and fuzzy feeling inside when you're paying 10% more for your electricity bill Bayview. That's worth more than any carbon tax.

Funny how these perceptions arise. If this was so important then why is the Coalition's policy to impose exactly the same reduction in our emissions as is currently being proposed in this package? Anyone answer me that?

Without this Australia is very much a laggard in responding to climate change compared to the rest of the world. If you want evidence of that I suggest you read the Productivity Commission report on this very subject before you shoot your mouth off on a subject you clearly don't understand. Other countries choose a range of different policy responses for their own reasons (that you can read about in the report) - from mandated renewables to govt directives to accelerated depreciation for wealthy individuals and everything in between. For us it's clear that the most economically efficient response is an ETS, which is fortunately what we are getting.

As the heaviest emitting country per capita in the world, as well as one of the richest, we have a responsibility to at least keep up with the rest of the world and pull our weight. The combined effort of all these countries will reduce the risk of dangerous climate change (which is not measured in temperature if you knew even the basics of this topic), in proportion to the effort made. It's in all our interests to provide reasonable incentives to reduce emissions, which is what this package does, while creating incentive to earn money for those on low incomes.

Thanks for the condesending reply Proffesor Seabreeze.
Yeah, all the big economic players have carbon taxes. My mistake; no they don't!
Who says the coalition is right, whenever the government is wrong? That's a simplistic view, if ever i've heard one!

Yeah, all the big economic players have carbon taxes. My mistake; no they don't!

That's a deliberate misrepresentation of what I said. There are a myriad of responses to climate change used around the world, not just carbon taxation (or more accurately in our case - an ETS). The scale of this response would only serve to enable us to keep up with the scale of the efforts of others. Whether the others are using carbon taxation or something else (often less efficient) to achieve the same ends is irrelevant to the question of whether we are leading or following the world in our response.

But don't believe me - just read the Productivity Commission's report. I'm not going to even attempt to explain it all in this thread.

the australian people voted this government 'aliance' in, so they must reap the consequences. As usual it will be the stupid middle class that will bear the true consequences.

Nothing to do with me, as usual i will focus on profiting from it.

Get over it, think of what you will have to tell your children in 10 years + when Climate Change is even a more important topic... "I was against cleaning up our planet and taking responsible actions"... :confused:

It will be done and sealed later today so get used to it. :):) What I will be most interested in is to see what Tony Abbott will have to talk about now, oh that's right "immigration, yes we will be back to that other topic Abbott talks about too.... :rolleyes:

Get over it, think of what you will have to tell your children in 10 years + when Climate Change is even a more important topic... "I was against cleaning up our planet and taking responsible actions"... :confused:

:

I will thoroughly enjoy showing them that there are long term cycles when it comes to mankind. Given the wonders of the internet i will ask them to research two topics:
(a) Malleus Maleficarum
(b) salem witch trials.

I will see whether they can draw modern day conclusions.
History doesnt repeat itself but it certainly rhymes.

I wonder what future generations will reflect upon.

It will be done and sealed later today so get used to it. :):) What I will be most interested in is to see what Tony Abbott will have to talk about now, oh that's right "immigration, yes we will be back to that other topic Abbott talks about too.... :rolleyes:

Oh sure, and I guess the last Ice Age was due to the Dinosaurs and their rapid technological advances that got CO2 production out of control..... Maybe we can plug up all the volcanos on earth as well, since they polluting our planet with devastating affect.

I tell my son to think for himself and not be a sheeple.... :cool:

at the end of the day the world's temp may or may not change by about .3 of a degree...............
global warming best estimates are much high than this, 1.8-4.0°C

What scares me is that there are a lot of supposedly intelligent human beings out there who believe this to be a good move....many of them running this Country.
What scares me is that there are a lot of supposedly intelligent human beings out there who believe global warming is some sort of scam. Though I suspect many of them know it´s real but oppose any actions for various selfish financial & political reasons.

What scares me is that there are a lot of supposedly intelligent human beings out there who believe global warming is some sort of scam.

The scam is that any "warming" (and is yet to be proved - I think the world average temp in the last 30 years is one third of a degree?) is that it is perpetuated by humans.

Here's something for your digestion; and was reported on The Bolt Report by one of Australia's leading marine scientists - Peter Ridd, that coral on the GBR has been reported to be dying due to warming seas (from Global Warming) by the noisy global warming alarmists..

Further north, near PNG where the water is even warmer still, the coral is thriving more than the GBR. It turns out that coral loves water that is warmer.

The coral that is dying off on the GBR is due to lower water levels at low tide; exposing the coral - not warmer water.

The coral that is dying in Moreton Bay is due to colder water.

http://ten.com.au/video-player.htm?movideo_m=134772&movideo_p=44795

Last edited:
The GST was put directly to the people at an election. The people voted for it, and it was introduced.

The question was, when a MAJORITY voted for a tax reform. The Liberal Party got 48% of the two party preferred vote in the 1998 election. So, not a majority...

Back