The Biggest Tax EVER in Australia

But it's CARBON DIOXIDE. It's not a pollution; it has already been agreed by several scientists - on both sides - that CO2 is actually beneficial to the plants, and hence almost all life on the planet.

Wow! SEVERAL scientists!!

Well we better throw out all that research by THOUSANDS of scientists believe that CO2 gases are harmful to the future of the planet.

Several scientists have spoken. Give me a break.

Last edited:
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/climate-change/live-blog-the-carbon-tax-debate-20111012-1ljtf.html

9.37am: Much applause, hand shaking and congratulations all round as the Clean Energy Future bills pass the lower house. The government secured the passage of the 18 bills with the support of key crossbench MPs, winning the vote 74 to 72.

The lower house also passed the government's $300 million steel transformation plan bill.That vote was won 75 to 71 with Queensland independent Bob Katter joining fellow independents Rob Oakeshott, Tony Windsor and Andrew Wilkie, and Greens MP Adam Bandt, in backing Labor

That ridiculous Mirabella was booted out of parliament for 24 hours, just to make the passage easier.

She got all hysterical - not surprising considering shes Liberal - and her party lost her vote.

Wouldn't have made any difference tho.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/climate-change/live-blog-the-carbon-tax-debate-20111012-1ljtf.html

9.37am: Much applause, hand shaking and congratulations all round as the Clean Energy Future bills pass the lower house. The government secured the passage of the 18 bills with the support of key crossbench MPs, winning the vote 74 to 72.

The lower house also passed the government's $300 million steel transformation plan bill.That vote was won 75 to 71 with Queensland independent Bob Katter joining fellow independents Rob Oakeshott, Tony Windsor and Andrew Wilkie, and Greens MP Adam Bandt, in backing Labor

What scares me is that there are a lot of supposedly intelligent human beings out there who believe global warming is some sort of scam. Though I suspect many of them know it´s real but oppose any actions for various selfish financial & political reasons.

Well said Joe.

This is a great day for Australia and the World but a bad day for selfish ignorant people!

And if it passes parliament for the first time in my life I may become a Labor voter as they will have shown they have the guts to pursue genuine economic reform of long term benefit to Australia in the face of one of the biggest public scare campaigns by vested interests we have ever seen. Just like floating the dollar, abolishing tariffs and introducing Medicare in the 80s.

One would think anyone with more than 1% of topend grey matter,and a bit of foward thinking would think that,to establish a reputation "OS" for financial and economic stability,and "POLITICAL INTERGRITY",in the leaders of the overseas investing countries how can a carbon tax do that.

What scares me is that there are a lot of supposedly intelligent human beings out there who believe global warming is some sort of scam. Though I suspect many of them know it´s real but oppose any actions for various selfish financial & political reasons.

Your a banker in Zurich, Switzerland. :eek:

You forgot to put some LOL and :D:) smilies in your post.

See ya's.

Wow! SEVERAL scientists!!

Well we better throw out all that research by THOUSANDS of scientists believe that CO2 gases are harmful to the future of the planet.

Several scientists have spoken. Give me a break.

Dan, his sources are Professor Bolt, double degree in Stupidity.

His mentor was Alan Jones, taught by Monckton, financed by Gina. (So on, follow their trail of lies)......Likes bees to the honey, stupidity and ignorance gathers them around...

Indeed it is interesting the human differences Dazz.

Indeed it is interesting the human differences Dazz.

And most people have opinions on this in the degree that they will be effected. '

Depreciator claims it will hardly effect him. I wouldn't doubt it. Depreciator lives in an inner city suburb, and works in finance or something like that?

Joe Expats a banker in Zurich. He will probably make a killing from this. I'd think it was marvelous too if I did what he did.

A lot of those negative about this tax know it will effect them. It will mean tens of thousands more costs for my business. A typical dairy farmer or irrigation farmer who uses 50k worth of electricity per year will get hammered. And thats with agriculture being excluded from an ETS.

Some sort of tax that took an equal share from everyone would have been much fairer. As it is now, exporting business's, especially mining, manufacturing business's, are going to take most of the pain. Anyone competing with overseas, where they won't have the tax. If your in a service industry in the city, who cares, especially when all the cash starts to get thrown back.

See ya's.

Last edited:
Short Term it is not such a big deal, is it?

I think people have to look at the long term around this tax and the purpose of our local ETS.

Short term as others have said, the income produced from the tax is put right back into the economy minus the administration costs. Presumably this will have only a limited effect. We still get our comparitive advantage around cheap energy now we just share it around the economy rather than giving the edge to our businesses. I would not say I am happy with the idea, but it could be worse, and this comes later...

Exporters for the most part will recieve concessions initially also so should not be going out of business from this in isolation.

But what is on the agenda next?

What seems to have been forgotten however is that in the longer term we are doing this to drive change around the world. To go about bringing in a global ETS. I assume this is still on the agenda, if not Australia moving unilaterally is pointless? This is not mentioned much, I suspect because we are told we get it all back as tax cuts for now.

I don't see this working in a global ETS system, we will be paying tax here for other countries. Nothing wrong with that but it needs to be made clear in my opinion as when the world moves to this Australia will have no choice. It just seems strange we are at the cutting edge of pushing for it.

What happens with a global ETS is that we then have to pay to economies that are developing and have not had the advantage of 200 years of rapid economic growth using coal (only fair really) and to those countries who do not have coal anyway and rely on nuclear or other sources, we become less competitive against.

Australia of all countries gets a considerable economic kick out of using coal energy. The big question really is assuming the world does warm 2 degrees over the next 50 years is it actually better for Australia we allow this unfettered but continue to reap the rewards of our edge around coal? Or is it better to mitigate this by the world moving together by half a degree or whatever that might be.

Why be included in the countries pushing this (like European ones with little coal) when other coal rich countries are not?

In this we seem to tally up all the costs of sticking with our economy (bye bye reefs etc, bye bye some infrastructure) as is and then sell the costs of moving green as wins as well (creatinng green jobs). My trouble with this is even Keynesians will tell you creation of jobs for the sake of it is a "wastefull mitigation". their are costs on the other side of the ledger for Australia of all places.

I guess my question is around the long term? Perhaps Australia is better off with an internal ETS. Are we better off with a global one though, the thing we are trying to achieve? If we are not happy with the idea of a global ETS than why are we trying to drive the world in this direction? Surely we should be doing a USA and going in precisely the opposite direction?

It appears to me in all this some turkeys do vote for christmas...

Edit: Added headings, though a wall of text is still a wall of text. :eek:

I'm inclined to agree with Instrinsic_Value on this. Just try to profit out of it. The people who support this will be the ones paying for it in the end via more and more taxes. So go ahead.

Well, there goes another $1K /yr to be squandered by the government. Yay, let's all celebrate yet another tax rip-off.

If anyone honesty thinks that the tax raised from this sham will have any real impact on "global warming" other than a "feel good about ourselves vibe", then they are utterly delusional.

How about some population control??? That is one of the most meaningful ways to reduce human CO2 generation..... control the outrageous population growth. Ok, so 22 million is not much, but what about the countries with 1.7 & 1.9 billion...... I am sure that won't be a popular view though. The truth often hurts.

Whilst I agree that we can meet our energy needs far more effectively with far less CO2 emissions, I do not believe that a TAX is the answer or any part of the answer. If the government was serious about CO2 emissions they would have implemented a raft of measures to promote self sufficiency, efficient transport networks, lower corporate power consumption and stop raping the land for coal..... Imagine the CO2 reduction from making large CBDs bicycle & pedestrian friendly, with efficient Mass Transit and genuinely promoting decentralized power generation, water collection & reticulation, and controlling consumer product waste at the SOURCE....... Oh my, now I am using common sense...... that will never do any good. :rolleyes:

Honestly, does anyone truly believe a TAX is the best path towards a cleaner future? :confused: What a load of political crap!

In Vic they already have the 6-star energy requirements for new houses - which is just like another tax but it's not broad-based.

Your a banker in Zurich, Switzerland. :eek:

You forgot to put some LOL and :D:) smilies in your post.

See ya's.

Hmm, comparing Land sector contributions to emissions vs Zurich bankers and Depreciator living in an inner city suburb, (working in finance)

•Emissions from the land sector account for 20 per cent of Australian emissions (2008) and around 26 per cent of global emissions (2005).

Well, maybe Joe does have vegie patch back in Oz TC...you may have a point there.

How about:

•The land sectors will be greatly affected both by climate change and its mitigation. Science-based knowledge and flexibility of production systems will be the keys to success in this new world, as they have been throughout the history of Australian farming.

•The rural sector is a major source of emissions, but at the same time holds tremendous opportunities to play a significant role in Australia’s mitigation effort.

◦These opportunities could also significantly improve the economic prospects for Australian farmers.

In Vic they already have the 6-star energy requirements for new houses - which is just like another tax but it's not broad-based.

LOL.... whilst I see your angle here, I can't help but laugh. Why?

Well, if they were REALLY serious about this then we would already be at 10+ stars or the scale would have to be redefined. Why is that? Well you see, one of the biggest energy costs in a household is heating/cooling. They have not even scratched the surface of efficient passive home design because the most efficient low energy consumption designs are...... NOT allowed in urban areas..... yep, you read that right.

Try getting approval to build a rammed earth, earth berm, underground, partially underground, straw bale, mud-brick or nearly any other organic natural material home in suburbia..... LOL. Fix that problem, and CO2 home generated emissions per capita start to take a nose dive. 6 stars is a joke compared with where we really could be.

http://www.garnautreview.org.au/update-2011/update-papers/up4-transforming-rural-land-use.html

Not all farming/agricultural people believe Andrew Bolt, Alan Jones, Monckton, nor worry pants, Mr No, (Tony Abbott) as St Gospel.

Farming has never been at a more opportune time. If the kitchen gets a bit too hot for some farmers, I'm sure others will be happy to buy them out, just as it's happening around here. Little worriers/wingers get sucked up, (bought out) by shrewd and progressive operators.

Well, if they were REALLY serious about this then we would already be at 10+ stars or the scale would have to be redefined. Why is that? Well you see, one of the biggest energy costs in a household is heating/cooling. They have not even scratched the surface of efficient passive home design because the most efficient low energy consumption designs are...... NOT allowed in urban areas..... yep, you read that right.

I agree - but this is what pushes house prices up. Any building can become 6+ stars all you need to do is spend money on things like double glazed windows, solar panels etc. If we put it up to 10 stars average-joe couldn't even afford to build a new house even if the land cost $0.

I love Labor rhetoric.

"Oh it isn't a tax on clean voters and battlers. No not at all. It's a tax on our biggest polluters. Big mega profit corporations who can well afford it. We are going to take the money from them and give it to the battlers. " :D

Back