The Biggest Tax EVER in Australia

What's so bad about times now Jo? We are one of the only western countries not in recession. No austerity riots etc.... Life is great here.

The carbon tax will not change a thing forthe man in the street. (or woman)

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/c...e-cash-from-carbon-scheme-20111018-1lyt8.html

I can't understand why Liberal supporters get so carried away, melodramatic and doom and gloom about everything. But only if it comes from Labor.

Is it really that bad? what exactly is the problem?

Times under John Howard just weren't so bad afterall. :rolleyes:

Regards JO

Rachel's, I saw that story in the newspaper. Absolutely terrible. Is it an indication of the drive to get ahead in China or an indictment of the human race. Makes me ashamed to be human.

I remembered this thread when I seen this shocking video and article about an indecent in China a few days ago. Maybe the people that think China is the beez neez might get a reality check after watching this, here it is: http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/10/video_sparks_outrage_in_china.html

:rolleyes:

I have a friend who's daughter was hit by a car in China, and the driver also tried to run over her again. There are 2 issues apparently which cause this behaviour.
One is compensation... if a person is injured by a car, the compensation needing to be paid is much higher than if they die.
the second is the attitude towards disability...people with disabilities are generally not valued very highly, and there are minimal services for rehabilitation etc, so less effort goes into saving people who are critically injured. But the good news is, this attitude is changing really quickly. (I work in this industry..) Since the Paralympics, there has been a rapid growth in government funding and also a rapid improvement is social attitudes. I would say they have caught up about 10 years in 3 years.... there is still along way to go, but they are making good progress. I think this incident happened in a rural area, where it takes longer for the changes in attitudes to filter through.

I think the good news from the article is that it sparked outrage in China.... so they recognise that this is unacceptable treatment of people. Hopefully they can make some changes to prevent it happening in the future.

Times under John Howard just weren't so bad afterall.

Couldn't agree more. The public just get sick and tired....even if the Govt are doing a sterling job. They just want change apparently even if the other mob are nigh on hopeless.

We went from a massively experienced Liberal team, who had collectively 12 years under their belt as a formidable PM / Treasurer combination, with all Ministers having similar steady long experience, to a mob who had zero experience and zero credentials. In the last 4 years, it has certainly showed.

Economically, the Liberal led coalition were stellar performers, which in my opinion is the central role of Govt. Get that right, and the possibilities for social services become possible.

They got rid of all of the national debt (admittedly assisted by selling off some of the country's assets - not good) left by Labor, and built a formidable war chest of surplus funds. Thank the Lord they did, this is what we as a country relied upon during the GFC.

They had the national borders completely under control. Our sovereignty as a nation wasn't something to be laughed and joked about by some ragtag opportunists in Indonesia.

Unfortunately, some little jumped up Rin Tin lookalike kept on saying "me too, me too" when it came to economic conservatism....despite no evidence....and the public swallowed it....but alas it wasn't to be.

Like kids in a candy store, Labor got the keys and went nuts, like they always do. All of the surplus was immediately spent. Gone, vamoos. Straight back into the old Labor ways, racking up debt to the tune of $ 100m per day. They simply cannot manage their affairs within their means. They simply cannot do it.

We now have no surplus, and over $ 110 Billion in national debt. In less than 4 years since taking over, they've managed to rack up debts higher than what it took the Liberals 12 years to pay off. Criminally negligent. The man in the Treasurer's seat who oversaw this disaster gets awarded the Best Treasurer in the world ?? Unbelievable. The magnificent work Costello did over 12 Budgets to get the country's books in pristine condition goes unnoticed.

As the Labor party even said when they dumped Rudd "This Govt lost it's way"....No **** Sherlock !!

The mop up from this Green led Labor group will be long and painful. It will take decades once again to recover. Fortunately ;

• WA has seen the light and ditched the Green / Labor philosophy.
  • Victoria has as well....but they still support Labor ideals heavily.
  • NSW got their act together and threw them out for many elections to come.
  • Queensland's turn is next. Expect another massive landslide towards Liberals.

Both SA and Tas are basket cases however. They are so firmly entrenched on the Federal teat of welfare, they will never vote to stand on their own two feet. It's a shame, but there will always be people who think others should support them.

Federally, I predict we'll look back in 2026 and view this charade of a Govt which is definitely the worst the nation has ever had to endure, worse than Whitlam if that's possible, as a crazy 5 or 6 year blip where it all went pear shaped, in amongst a sea of rational and conservative governments that dominated for 30 years.

What's so bad about times now Jo? We are one of the only western countries not in recession. No austerity riots etc.... Life is great here.

The carbon tax will not change a thing forthe man in the street. (or woman)

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/c...e-cash-from-carbon-scheme-20111018-1lyt8.html

I can't understand why Liberal supporters get so carried away, melodramatic and doom and gloom about everything. But only if it comes from Labor.

Is it really that bad? what exactly is the problem?

that there is more middle class welfare to support another tax that is both unconstitutional and has a provision that it can't be removed.

Both SA and Tas are basket cases however. They are so firmly entrenched on the Federal teat of welfare, they will never vote to stand on their own two feet. It's a shame, but there will always be people who think others should support them.

SA will vote in a Liberal government next election (or vote out the Labor govt). The Liberals are miles ahead in the polls, and are lead by a good leader who believes in good policy, over party politics (imagine that!).

Its revenue neutral for one. 2, what is so bad with life now that the constant Liberal hysterical whingeing never stops?

And why is it unconstitutional/ Because there was no referendum? No mandate? That's nothing new.

that there is more middle class welfare to support another tax that is both unconstitutional and has a provision that it can't be removed.

Last edited:
Its revenue neutral for one. 2, what is so bad with life now that the constant Liberal hysterical whingeing never stops?

And why is it unconstitutional/ Because there was no referendum? No mandate? That's nothing new.

revenue neutral as long as the tax base remains in stead.

when unemployment takes hold for whatever reason, the tax base dries up.

oh dear - where's the "revenue neutral" now?

doesn't make it right. if you can sleep at night with that kind of apathy, then i lament your moral standing, sir.

yeah I think evan is referring simply to the urgent & extreme outrage expressed by some this time around as if it is the first time anything has ever happened like this, which oyu jsut agreed it is not., so why we going on about it being uncontsituional when it appears not to be ?

apathy & plitics in Austrliua, would have thought that existed - I'm not sure evand is a caricature of the stereotype of political apathy....

Clutching at straws there i'd say. Dont you think thats a bit extreme. Moral Standing? Gimme a break.

doesn't make it right. if you can sleep at night with that kind of apathy, then i lament your moral standing, sir.

Doesnt mean it isnt "unconstitutional" Next the uptight righties will be calling it un Australian. :rolleyes:

I'm sure i could easily find examples of a Liberal govt making reforms etc without a referendum or a mandate. Big deal.

I juts cant understand why the Lib supporters have to make a melodramatic song and dance about everything. Like its the end of the world or something.

Reality is ita nothing tax as far as the man on the street is concerned. It wont materially affect his/her life at all.

I just dont get this knee jerk reactionary hysteria about every little thing. From the ridiculous right wing shock jocks down to the person on the street.

I juts cant understand why the Lib supporters have to make a melodramatic song and dance about everything. Like its the end of the world or something.

Reality is ita nothing tax as far as the man on the street is concerned. It wont materially affect his/her life at all.

I just dont get this knee jerk reactionary hysteria about every little thing. From the ridiculous right wing shock jocks down to the person on the street.

because many people and families are doing it comparatively time now compared to before the labour government was in power.

Cost of living pressures are increasing significantly, and this pressure is set to get worse once the carbon tax is introduced.

Carbon tax 'cost estimator'
http://www.bordermail.com.au/specialfeature.aspx?id=5060

All this greenie touchee feely stuff sounds good, but when hard economics come into play it represents a cost to productivity (not just the carbon tax, but the forced increase in green energy). That loss in productivity will be felt by average australians.

Then we have the increased inflexibility in industrial relations. Again a negative cost on productivity.

Then we have the increase in government debt. The interest cost on that portion of the debt that has not been used to finance in increase in our future productive capacity will also impose a negative cost on productivity.

Most Australians dont have the ability to make the direct links, but they are seeing the effect on their living standards and they dont like it. They are finally waking up.

Some of this selfish whinging reminds me what it must be like to go to a local pub with all the rednecks and blokes moaning about this and that... Makes you want to slap them over the ears and yell WAKE UP and get a life!!!!

Some of this selfish whinging reminds me what it must be like to go to a local pub with all the rednecks and blokes moaning about this and that... Makes you want to slap them over the ears and yell WAKE UP and get a life!!!!

I can't afford a life, what with this carbon tax and all...

Are you saying the Labor party is responsible fro some people doing it tough?

We are better off post GFC than just about every other nation because of the Labor party. Some people do it tough all the time, big deal.

When does this Liberal rubbish end? As is aid, from the right wing shock jocks, to the uninformed man on the street to this forum.

because many people and families are doing it comparatively time now compared to before the labour government was in power.

Cost of living pressures are increasing significantly, and this pressure is set to get worse once the carbon tax is introduced.

Carbon tax 'cost estimator'
http://www.bordermail.com.au/specialfeature.aspx?id=5060

All this greenie touchee feely stuff sounds good, but when hard economics come into play it represents a cost to productivity (not just the carbon tax, but the forced increase in green energy). That loss in productivity will be felt by average australians.

Then we have the increased inflexibility in industrial relations. Again a negative cost on productivity.

Then we have the increase in government debt. The interest cost on that portion of the debt that has not been used to finance in increase in our future productive capacity will also impose a negative cost on productivity.

Most Australians dont have the ability to make the direct links, but they are seeing the effect on their living standards and they dont like it. They are finally waking up.

Back