The Olympics - anyone else excited??

Where's the spirit here?

How could you not get excited watching the Aussies clean clean up in events like swimming?

I know I'll be watching, realising the amount of hard work and dedication these athletes from all over the world have put in for years leading up to this event.

Spider

My hubby has been a part of the team (in medical support) for four Olympics (Korea to Sydney) so he has marched in each of the opening and closing ceremonies; been on pool deck for all of the Sydney swimming medals, you get the drift! Each opening ceremony I have been able to spot him - in Sydney he rang me on the mobile while I could see him on the TV. The family went to Sydney - we were allowed into the Athletes Village; met Peter Brock who was a motivator, along with most of the team. Amazing experience for us. He ran in the torch relay and we have a lovely sweet torch at home. And the uniforms and goodies they get are just amazing. Yeah, I love the Olympics!

I worked as a volunteer in the athlete's village at the Sydney Olympics in the medical clinic. It was a pretty cool setup there with everything you need being freely available. There were mobile coffee outlets on street corners. Buses that did loops of the village to take you around to the games arcade. A McDonalds in the food hall that operates the same as any other, except it has no front counter... just walk up and help yourself. Surprisingly, it was very popular with the althletes.

The doctors, dentists and optometrists were very popular, with long queues to see them. They are open to team managers and officials too, so these guys come for their 4 yearly check up (particularly from developing nations). They also want free glasses and to cope with the demand, the clinics ran well into the night.

We had the interpreters located next to the clinic, which was a great help. Across the road was radiology (x-ray, ultrasound, CT and MRI) and before that was physio. It made the job run quite smoothly having all services centrally located.

The buildings have now turned into a primary school.

Hey yo yo ma,

I also worked in the polyclinic (medical centre) in the athlete's village as a sports physio in 2000. I also did a week, pre-games at a training venue for Gymnastics, Weight lifting, Judo and Wrestling.

I agree it was a buzz. I used to hang around (loitering :D) for a few hours after my shift finished in the village just taking the atmosphere in. Also attended numerous events in the second week of the Sydney games.

I'm looking forward to watching the swimming, track/field and gymnastics and will be interested to see what sort of show they put on in Beijing. I'm thinking that there may be ample drug related impact as well....... we'll see :rolleyes:

double doh!!

I didn't even think of that risk. I figured all channels other than 7 would run their regular schedule. What a pain in the ***! Ah well, there's always DVDs I suppose... :(

Cheers,
Michael

No, the other channels usually show crap or repeats of crap interspersed with news updates of the Olympics :(

After seeing footage of Beijing tonight on a "news" flash I don't think anyone will actually be able to see the athletes through the pollution anyway - just grey shadows.

Where's the spirit here?
How could you not get excited watching the Aussies clean clean up in events like swimming?
Spider

While homeless people have no shelter, old & frail sleep in parks, violence victims of all ages have nobody to turn to, hospitals run like S#!t, emergency rooms have no beds, kids are kicked out of home with nowhere to go etc etc.
And many millions are pi$$ed up the wall on steroid drug taking cheats often referred to as athletes.
Sure, makes me feel real excited :rolleyes:

The Media is excited ...that's about all they talk about.

I'm over it too, too many drug cheats to take any of it seriously.

That's what annoys me too. I think I would enjoy it more if everyone stopped talking about it!:eek:

Regards Jo

While homeless people have no shelter, old & frail sleep in parks, violence victims of all ages have nobody to turn to, hospitals run like S#!t, emergency rooms have no beds, kids are kicked out of home with nowhere to go etc etc.
And many millions are pi$$ed up the wall on steroid drug taking cheats often referred to as athletes.
Sure, makes me feel real excited :rolleyes:

You obviously tend more toward gloom than the boom as listed under your username.
Good luck in solving all the worlds problems.

There is a time for eveything.

Ok, so I am really going to enjoy the next 2 weeks, and most of you people won't. I reckon I know who is going to be in a better place!

What about yesterday; they were talking to one of the Aus Olympic officials on ABC radio (yes, I know it's the old fart's station - but there's no friggin ads or mindless talk-back).

The subject of discussion was Tamsyn Lewis' comments about how she has to run against all these drug cheats and how hard it is etc. She was venting her frustration as you do.

The Olympic official (can't remember his name now) said that Tamsyn should just focus on what she has to do and do her best, and forget about the alleged drug cheating.

What the? Is this guy for real?

That's like me turning up to Bathurst in a corolla, and whinge about trying to beat the V8's and some knuckle says "oh, you'll be right; just do your best and forget about them. You still can win." ppff!

I reckon every medal winner should be immediately subjected to a urine sample after their event. Sit in the cubicle until you get the stream flowin' and then we'll do the presentations after the results are in.

I wonder how many would pull out before the event?

I am quite happy to be told I have it wrong, but my understanding was that these days every medal winner is automatically given an immediate drug test.

One of the swimmer's mums said on telly this morning (Today show) that if she wins a medal, she will not be able to call home for some time as she goes straight into the drug testing etc etc.

Wow, what's all the negativity with Beijing? it's a bit disappointing. I am chinese and watching the Opening ceremony tonight brought tears to my eyes...just feeling very proud of our history. China holding the Olympic Games for the first time is a great moment in history for us.

I thought the ceremony was amazing. I think it's Zhang Yimou's greatest achievement, he's just brilliant.

People get excited and support our atheletes! I'll still be going for the Aussies.

I am quite happy to be told I have it wrong, but my understanding was that these days every medal winner is automatically given an immediate drug test.

One of the swimmer's mums said on telly this morning (Today show) that if she wins a medal, she will not be able to call home for some time as she goes straight into the drug testing etc etc.

They are wylie. In addition to random testing, every medal winner has to undergo testing.

Where the cheats may have advantage is in undetectable new performance enhancing drugs and masking agents that are not (yet) banned. :rolleyes:

The subject of discussion was Tamsyn Lewis' comments about how she has to run against all these drug cheats and how hard it is etc. She was venting her frustration as you do.

And she just realised that after she got to Beijing? If she felt that strongly about it she should have opted out and stayed home.

This is why I'm not watching the Olympics:

article-0-01E1A87100000578-938_468x286.jpg

I'd rather camp in the back yard and stare at the crap collecting in my pool filter for 2 weeks because it has much more colour and excitement.

Oh, and by watching I run the risk of having something in common with Kevin Rudd, which would make me ashamed to go out in public.

Well, I watched the opening ceremony last night begrudgingly - I'm not into these sorts of "American" style events, but my son wanted to watch it - his first Olympics and all, so there we all were.

Until 1.00am!

It was absolutely fantastic - the best I've ever seen to date, and I wish I could have stayed awake to see the Aussies come out onto the arena, and watch the lighting of the torch, but sleep won. (still woke up at bloody 6.30am as usual though :mad:)

I was particularly moved when the Iraqi's came out, and the whole stadium erupted.This is what the Olympics is all about.

The opening scene with all the drummers with the changing lights and the countdown was tremendous.

So too was the globe with all the different footage screened on it, the walkers going around it, and Sarah Brightman and the Chinese guy (sorry; can't remember his name) singing up on top of it. Amazing stuff.

Well done so far China and Channel 7 - I hope the standard continues.

I think I've been converted - maybe I'll watch a bit here and there. ;)

And she just realised that after she got to Beijing? If she felt that strongly about it she should have opted out and stayed home.

No, she already knew, but they asked the question when she was there, so she gave them both barrels.

No politically correctness from our girl. Good on her, and I hope she flogs them all.

If she opted out, then the drug cheats really have won.

I just wish the pathetically PC officials would take the same stand as her.

Amazing Amazing Amazing!!

Pure theatre - and not a celebrity in sight or a product being pushed.

Watched it all the way through last night and watching it again this morning in amazement.

China should be proud of what they have achieved.

It's also our kids first Olympics where they will have some understanding and they are watching it in amazement.

Yep, you are totally correct Wylie coz my hubby has overseen a few of them! It is incredibly difficult for some athletes to produce a 'specimen' because the nature of their sport means they are totally dehydrated when they finish. Sometimes they spend a very long time waiting for things to happen. And they have to produce it in full view of the observer!

Everyone involved behind the scenes would have groaned at Tamsyn's comments because the athletes are counselled to focus on what they can control (ie their performance) and leave the media and other athletes alone. Even her boyfriend (an SA cricketer) thought she had been a little silly.

And the opening ceremony last night was simply breathtaking, although am a little weary after a 1.45am finish. But am so glad I did!

Last edited:
Back