the reno has started

Well last week i started to gut my villa.
i decided to keep all the rubish in one room and hire a bin once all the old stuff is pulled out.

so far the following has been removed
carpet and underlay
corneis to most rooms
half the kitchen
all the doors but the front and bathroom (we might need this one lol)
half the tiles to the kitchen.

Still need to remove the rest of the kitchen, more tiles and the bathroom tiles, sink and vanity. thinking about taking out the steel door jambs if i can remember how they install em and replace them with timber.

Plans are to do the following

Install a new kitchen and make it more open by removing a wall (think its load bearing but i have no checked yet), re tile the kitchen and up date all fittings.

Put a Bi-Fold to the bathroom as its way small and this will free up space, along with retiling and new vanity, sink, fixtures and fittings, painting the bath tub. thinking about a glass sliding door to the shower/bath combo as i hate them shower curtins.

Apply plasterboard to the walls as there rendered brick, new corneis and skirting.

Re-trim and paint the aluminium window framing from brown to black, apply new locks

Lay a floating floor to the living areas.

New doors, through out with all updated fittings.

My aim is to jst make the place look more up to date as its old n looks like the previous owners tried to do things on a mass budget. I hope to get an increaased return in rent with more qui. in the property for my next purchase :)

Cartoon, good luck with it. I am in the final throes of my reno, and in some ways it is very similar to yours.

Is this your first reno? Are you doing most of the work or are you bringing in traddies? Have you sourced the materials & finishes? What's your time frame?

Do you have a budget & an anticipated value-add (both capital gain & rental) you will add when you finish?

As for the rubbish, you will be amazed at how much there is. I have taken away 11 cubic metres of "stuff" and there is still more to go!

My aim is to jst make the place look more up to date as its old n looks like the previous owners tried to do things on a mass budget. I hope to get an increaased return in rent with more qui. in the property for my next purchase :)

All the best Cartoon. Please send pics pre and post reno.:)

All the best Cartoon. Please send pics pre and post reno.:)
+1 for pics

Not sure if you already have these places in mind but you can buy cheap reno materials at various places.

Laws Auctions - for all kind of kitchens appliances and building products

Greys Online Auctions
- again all type of building and reno stuff

There are a couple more auctions but I cant remember them at the moment. check saturday's paper

My local tile shop 'Di Lorenzo' has seconds/leftovers/old stock intheir carpark for really cheap prices.

Hope this helps

Good luck

i have some photos, there not the best but ill post them (took them with my phone)
the pre reno's are kinda from last night so lots has been removed. I'll try to get some real pics this week befor any more work is done.

Post pics should look amazing except for the bathroom. its way way to small for my liking but eh, the place was cheap so i cant complain.

yeah this is my first reno so being 25 im still enjoying braking up tiles hehehehehehe.
Most of the work will be done my self or by close friends, ones a gyprocker, ones a tiler, and im a draftsman :) so jst about all the labour is free except for the small amount of electrial and plumbing work required.

Time frame well im kinda hoping 6 weeks or less but from working in construction i know every thing runs late and there will be some unexpected things as i have found already. I cant pull a overhead pantry out cause my fuse box is there and i dont wanna die just yet.

Budget is estimated at approx 4k (im expecting to blow it a little tho but not much as i have been rich on the material purchases and knowing me i have forgotten somthing)
If i actually knock the wall out and its load bearing i need a steel lintel so that will be an extra cost.

Expected rent return from this will increase from around 160 to 210. As for the capital gain i have no idea at all but we will soon find out :)

The amount or rubish is amazing lol, lucky i can jst grab one of them big bins from work so im saving money all over the shop :)

The villa was in bad shape when i purchased it so the turnaround will make it look amazing. Im kinda targeting a small family for rent so ill be keeping it nice and netural.

Shady, thanks for the info ill check em out :) the more i can save the better.

You guys are so lucky! I don't have any friends in the building/constructions area....How much would it costs to get tradespeople to come out and get everything done?

I'm going to purchase an old house, it's going to need reno, just want to know what the expected budget for it? Thinking to upgrade at least the kitchen. Maybe carpet down the track or even the bathroom.

Please advice. I'm still a newbie in this. :p

Only 4K :eek:

Geez ... we've hit $25k and then some on the PPoR doing it cheap (new roof, new tanks, new HWSx2, new kitchen, new pump, extra bedroom including painful demolition of a 40cm thick limestone wall, 2x new ceilings, insulation, combustion heater, external fencing, considerable re-plastering of 130yo rendered walls, lots of paint/no more gaps and considerable rewiring (this was free). Last thing to reno is the bathroom, and I want an attic dammit *bangs fist on desk*

Proposed reno on other house involves removing floors and replacing, some wiring work (free again lol), remove back verandah, paint/fill walls, install secondhand kitchen and some other extremely minor tweaks. The house has already been gutted and had the rubbish removed, but we'll create rubbish with the floors and verandah that'll probably end up just getting carted to my place and dumped in the backyard (I'm on half an acre and the house came with a substantial rubbish pile ... people keep taking stuff off it so its shrinking). We're budgeting $10k.

Paint alone works out to about $150 per room, less if the ceilings are normal height. Internally, everything I've done to this house has fell in the $1000-1800 range per room, but we got the oven, wiring, plumbing and hws free in the kitchen, which knocked off a good $2500 from the price. I'd like to know how you got that $4k figure :confused:

all my labour is free :)
its only a small place so its not to bad, we measured up 30 sheets of plasterboard to line all the walls (2700 x 1200 wide) so that gives you an idea of the size.

Im also getting a stack of stuff at trade pricing so yeah, thats why im at 4k
im not doing anything major to the bath room so im saving alot there. non of the plumbing will need to be changed either, so things like this are saving me lots.

my kitchen will set me back the most (looking at 2k as a guess) so yeah. lol

ill keep tally of all costs tho n see where i finish up.

It'll go over. It always does :p Especially wiring, I guess I'm biased because I'm rural but large wiring jobs always seem to run to multiple thousands. You've allowed for fixing timber battens to the walls to stick the plasterboard to, and getting an electrician to re-do all the powerpoints?

Our three-room reno at the front of this house was *supposed* to run to $2000 not $3500, but we found out that one wall was plastered really badly and the plaster fell off and needed replastering (at $20 an hour, and solid plastering is slow), we had to re-cement part of the floor, the room wasn't remotely square so putting up the wall framing was 'interesting', then we needed to buy some bricks to go over the limestone, couldn't get hold of the electrician on time so the scaffold hire ran right over, etc etc etc. It was originally guesstimated at $800 materials and $200 labour. We went through 15L of white paint, a whole (very large) packet of screws and 20 tubes of no more gaps just for the freakin ceilings! It was supposed to take a few weeks, but our tradie kept going to other jobs as well and injuring himself spectacularly (being impaled is SO much fun he did it twice) so it ran to close to 6 months as he needed time to heal. Glad the new job has no plastering in it ... and I now own my own scaffolding so I don't need to hire it.

Then we got flooded the day after the grand opening of the renovated rooms.

Here's wishing you a smooth renovation with no unexpected hitches!

yeah every thing goes over budget :(
timber i get for free through my dad, so most things have been allowed.
Ill end up wanting to do some extra stuff n thats where ill go over, i looked at removing a wall but on inspection its load bearing so i cfb removing it lol.

All the tiles are allmost up, ill get a bin from work next week and buy all the plasterboard and start on that next week.
During the week ill get the tiles and the sparky to come round. kitchen shopping ect ect.
ill get some photos to u guys soon,

thx for wishing me a smooth ride but we see what hapens eh

Photos!

And definitely keep us posted, especially with the kitchen. I'll be prowling for one of those in a few weeks too, and I'm sure there's a few other forum members doing the same ...

im just getting a laminate kitchen, poly aint worth it for an IP.
gonna look for a few prefabed knockdowns and try a local guy who is doing some wrk for my parents.

Unfortuantly i have no previous pics befor i pulled stuff out lol, but on tues ill up load some pics for ya'll.

cant waite till its finished

You guys are so lucky! I don't have any friends in the building/constructions area....How much would it costs to get tradespeople to come out and get everything done?

I'm going to purchase an old house, it's going to need reno, just want to know what the expected budget for it? Thinking to upgrade at least the kitchen. Maybe carpet down the track or even the bathroom.

Please advice. I'm still a newbie in this. :p

If you wanna manage the project ya self it will be a little chaper. depends on what you want done to the cost. but call some tradesmen for there hourly rate :)

We're dodgy, we pay a bloke $20 an hour which is damn cheap. He's retired and works for cash around the place (as do a few other blokes in their 60s), I'm not sure exactly what his trade was but he is bloody good at framing and plastering, he has the best house in the town because he fixed it all up himself, from installing plumbing to reroofing to tiling. We end up becoming his lackeys and passing tools, holding ends of wood up ... or that time we had 4 people all on a 6 foot scaffold, the short ones standing on boxes, holding this crazy heavy 4.2m long sheet of plasterboard up with our heads while he put the screws in the ceiling ... high ceilings are evil, I tells ya.

well did some more work today,
all the kitchen and laundry floor tiles are up and i started to stip the paint off the door jambs, there was about 6 layers and they were all different colours so its taking some time. got the bin comming on friday so ill have some room for the materials i need.
during the week ill measure up all the material m2 and the kitchen. also getting a hammer drill to speed things up :)

Up date ppl

Getting a minni kanga this week to finish off the kitchen and bathroom.
All flooring is pulled up, door jambs r pain stripped and ready for priming,

Next week end is
Kanga time :)
Remove all window locks and re-paint framing
Install plasterboard to bedrooms
Prime door jambs
Finished off kitchen n bathroom removal.

Then its time to spend all the money brining in the goods :)

all the kitchen is finally out bar one o/h cabnit which has the fuse box in it,
hot watersystem will come out during the week,
all the tiles except the ones around the bath are out (still deciding if i should keep the bath or jst have a shower?????)
floor is all clean and ready
half the windows are ready for primer
door jambs ready for primer

getting there slowly, were not scoring the walls for the plasterboard and i should have the new kitchen in about a week

Photos!

At least you can paint yours, if I tried to set up the scaffolding in bedroom 1 in my house I think the floor would give way lol ... high ceilings + bad floors = deathtrap for painters :)

Elf im sorry still no photos, aint been there during the week yet.
I assure im getting a SLR for photos on sat :)

Plasterboard is now in to one of the bed rooms, it looks soooo much better.
Bought a stove and oven last night so kitchen design time :)
Also worked out the bath room and im looking at about 400 plus tiles as im keeping the tub and toilet.

Things are comming along well, current spending total now is 750, thats gyprock for 2 rooms, oven, stove and misc materials.

I'd be interested in the final $$ figure, we just recarpeted a house, left the underlay, bought carpet that was at a good price and it still cost $2200 for 5 bedrooms and the lounge/dining.

We get the paint at a good price but have gone through a few (about 5) 10l tins so far at $60 each, taps are $50-$150 each set, door knobs $9ea, light fittings $10-$40, mirrors $40. All the little bits add up quick, spent $50 on curtain track repairs for the house.

cheers
quoll

Back