the reno has started

ill be keeping totals,
the kitchen will cost me the most as its a whole new kitchen.
Kinda thinking about a new bath and loo but honestly the bathroom isint that big so i dont think no matter what i do besids painting the bath and new vanity/mirror ect ect will make it look nice.

Estimated most costs, the kitchen was the variable :)

I have an entire house on the go too and we're keeping a *very* close eye on the costs - hence the sig - down to cheapie $4.95 towel rails :) A lot of our bits will come in more expensive though because we're semi-rural, I can't just nip down to Bunnings and pick up a flatpax kitchen bit by bit in the back of a car, I have to factor in getting it freighted out on a pallet. Its the little bits that add up the most, its easy to forget to tally them but they're still there ...

Paint I tend to think of as $120 at least for a 10L tin, best I've seen it here was about $45 for 6L at Laura (its looking like I'm going to get everything but the kitchen from Laura actually, there's not much choice out here) $60 is a damn good price for 10L, you're doing well there.

Where'd you get the stove and oven so cheap? The cheapest here was an upright all-in-one electric that was about $600 but again, only one shop here sells stoves.

got the stove n oven off ebay from a place in vic,
2 year warrenty, shipping is included in the price :)

Elf if u have the room a friend is selling a good condition wall mount oven and 4 burner gas stove for 100 bucks, he jst renovated to.

Paint ill prob get at whole sale pricing through a few places we purchase paint from at work, also with all my window locks and door fittings, rails ect ect, i use to work in the facade industry so im getting all that at near cost :)

We're getting an electric upright from the vault of father-in-law's shed. Gas is problematic, most second-hand kitchens have gas burners and they can't be used out here, and I'm not willing to go gas at all. Too much hassle with tenants, since you pay for the cylinders upfront. You need different burners for piped vs bottled gas.

Door fittings are horrifically expensive in most hardware stores, I got the ones for this house for about $13 each new off eBay, they are pretty brass things. Same ones were about $40 at bunnings. We need to replace 3 doors, the doors themselves are only $48! I'm not even going to try and match the old white ceramic knobs with pink flowers painted on them :)

pink flowers eh lol,
I jst got back from a kitchen place, for a extreamly nice kitchen all laminate (not paying for poly in a rental) is 2500 which did not seem to bad for the qualty, my friend just got one from the smae place for his PPOR and its dam nice. price was excluding install, ill see what bunnings and ikea come in at over the weekend with there knock down ones as i have no idea how they compare to the regular kitchen places.

I thought about an upright oven but they look out dated to me, i love ceramic tops but not for an IP.

Yeah bunnings is expensive on some things, im guess im lucky i use to work with windows and doors :)

There's a helluva lot of kitchen threads in this forum that have sold me on the Bunnings flatpax kitchens, the word is they have nice solid backs and good quality construction - only a choice of 4 colours in the most basic model though, your place is fairly modern so you'd end up with the white cupboards and grey stone look benchtops, I'm going beige and brown. I think the long Ikea kitchen photos thread digressed into a kitchen comparison discussion. The flatpax kitchens have a 600 wide underbench oven module that makes everything else hard to fit in if you don't use it, and all the cabinet units come with a useable but not funkytrendymodern handle so realistically you need to allow extra $ for handles on top of the base cost, plus sink, taps and tiles. Our kitchen is so big (just under 4x5m) we can get a decent size flatpax kitchen in with no corners and no cutting, although if it was my PPoR I'd go around two of the corners and make a ludicrously huge kitchen and put an island bench in the middle, but that would triple the cost. The flatpax brochure has all the cabinet modules as stickers and some glossy grid paper so you can design your own!

Out here you expect to see a tiny bench with a sink on it and an upright oven all by itself (or just a woodstove) and NOTHING ELSE in a kitchen (PPoR or rental), so I'm going to have like the best kitchen in an old-style rental in the town once we've got a flatpax kitchen in :) But I imagine where yours is a nice kitchen is expected or you'd never get tenants.

My PPoR kitchen is a muddle of freestanding cupboards, an old shop counter with curtains on the front, upright stove, Ikea wallmount units. Cost about $1000 in total including paint, tiles (its a 4.3m x 4.3 x 3.6 room), sink, oven, plumbing, hot water service, timber oddments, plaster/mortar, cornice repair and a new door. Cheapest reno in the house, and surprisingly doesn't look too bad either. We got the hot water service, oven and plumbing as a Christmas present. Now we're drooling over the pretty flatpax kitchens but we can't justify the cost as it won't really add any value to the house.

I was at bunnings last night and got the book, i went there to get some flood lights to help a friend strip a car, i made him look at kitchens with me lol.

Cause of the area and the cost of the property i got im trying to target some good long term tennents so i can afford to spend a little bit more and ask for it in rent.

White is the way im going, with dark stone like bench tops.
Yeah i noticed last night the handles were average, and the price on there handles and taps is massive, glad i know a few ppl to look after me in that are.

Im getting another bin tonight so ill clean the place up and its confirmed the SLR is comming on sunday, i can show you a room thats got the dry wall up :) Will also get the plumber to prep all the tap sets for mixers! im finally getting some where, i was so happy when we finished the first room looks sooooo much better

My hot water system is in the kitchen, taking up about 550mm2 of under bench space, to move it in double brick is a headache so im jst going to build my self a nice support frame for under the kitchen.

Ok so i went to bunnings today,
the total for all materials not including handels was 2516.66.
Paradise kitchens quoted me 2600 including everything and the cabnets assembled.
for the extra 75 bucks paradise kitches is looking good

Back