The secret to my success

1. Start early.
2. Buy good quality property whenever you're able.
3. Hold onto it for a long time.

Not a very sexy strategy and it won't get you there very quickly, but it can work really well if you buy well.

No , that's not my secret . We didn't start early . First IP after 40 . Have bought crappy properties in crappy suburbs and done well with them .

Cliff

No , that's not my secret . We didn't start early . First IP after 40 . Have bought crappy properties in crappy suburbs and done well with them .

Cliff

This looks like fun, can I guess...... locating and buying property in a rising market (demand vs supply thing) anywhere across Australia, however the trick is to buy at the beginning of the cycle and buy as many as you can afford, making larger profits ;)
The trick is also knowing when to pull the pin, or having an exit strategy in place.

This looks like fun, can I guess...... locating and buying property in a rising market (demand vs supply thing) anywhere across Australia, however the trick is to buy at the beginning of the cycle and buy as many as you can afford, making larger profits ;)
The trick is also knowing when to pull the pin, or having an exit strategy in place.

That's not my secret . I note the previous comparison with Rixter . We have different styles of investing . I may be wrong , but I 'd bet that if we had a discussion , the secret to our success is the same .

Cliff

1. Start early.
2. Buy good quality property whenever you're able.
3. Hold onto it for a long time.

Not a very sexy strategy and it won't get you there very quickly, but it can work really well if you buy well.

I tend to think timing and buying well is more important than buying whenever you can and holding for a long time. Obviously the latter has proven to work over time, but I have no doubt the returns in the first strategy is a lot higher.

I tend to think timing and buying well is more important than buying whenever you can and holding for a long time. Obviously the latter has proven to work over time, but I have no doubt the returns in the first strategy is a lot higher.

Yup. Basically saying over a long enough timeframe anything works. But if ya want results sooner ya need to take a more active approach. This should be common sense.

Yes, see_change and myself have discussed this very topic offline many times before.

We both very much agree, that yes, there is a common secret all successful investors follow - a common blue-print.

Their strategies may vary differently as there are as many different strategies as there are investors - but the one thing they all have in common is they all adopt to follow & implement the same secret.

Rick

I'm not sure all investors follow the same secret , but certainly , as we have just discussed we do . I'm aware of one personal friend who has his own unique approach which is different to ours , but to the best of my knowledge , most of the successful investors I know personally , has the same basic secret .

So far none of the suggestions have been correct .

Cliff

Yup. Basically saying over a long enough timeframe anything works. But if ya want results sooner ya need to take a more active approach. This should be common sense.

Kudos DT, and yes, I think it is common sense.

..... what's the secret? no secret.... just do it:)

Few quick search on this forum...
"enter a position before that investment becomes crowded out and the returns marginalised."

"the market is imperfect as is the information superhighway so there will always be opportunities for people who are prepared to take a bit of time studying the market .

The reality is that 99 % ( probably 99.9 % ) of the population will never do their own research into what is happening in reality and act on it
"

and finally
One thing that annoys me about most authors and educators in the area is their tendency to put down styles of investing different to their own , suggesting only they know the secret .
Cliff
:p

Back